Wizard of Oz - Movie World Arkham Asylum Replacement

Looks great! Nice to finally have it confirmed. Keeping my expectations low (New Atlantis concept art) but if it's coming in 2024 you never know what they'll be able to pull off!

I understand the SFC theming (Flying Monkeys!) but how are they going to tie the Duelling Boomerang to Kansas?

1 hour ago, Tricoart said:

@Ogre You're on the news!

😁

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Looks great! Nice to finally have it confirmed. Keeping my expectations low (New Atlantis concept art) but if it's coming in 2024 you never know what they'll be able to pull off!

I understand the SFC theming (Flying Monkeys!) but how are they going to tie the Duelling Boomerang to Kansas?

😁

I'd say on pull back play sounds of "I don't think we are in Kansas anymore toto" and the the storm.

And then on the return lift hill play. "Kick heels 👠👠 3 times and say to yourself. There's no place like home" and you going back. 

Just an idea.   Can work. 

29 minutes ago, Rivals said:

i’m really interested to see more concept art as well as ride names ect in the morning. At first i wasn’t the biggest fan of this idea but seeing how well it *could* be pulled off has changed my mind

Yeah, it does look good but my main concern from before announcement remains: If it doesn't connect to Main Street as well as Superman, it'll be an absolute disaster for crowds throughout the entirety of the park.

2 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

Yeah, it does look good but my main concern from before announcement remains: If it doesn't connect to Main Street as well as Superman, it'll be an absolute disaster for crowds throughout the entirety of the park.

i’m pretty sure it will be connecting from the the old Lethal Weapon entrance, with the gate that is sometimes open next to Scooby being a permanent entrance. if that is the case, it would create great flow throughout the park.

36 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I'd say on pull back play sounds of "I don't think we are in Kansas anymore toto" and the the storm.

And then on the return lift hill play. "Kick heels 👠👠 3 times and say to yourself. There's no place like home" and you going back. 

Just an idea.   Can work. 

The Ruby slippers angle is actually a really clever idea for a Boomerang!

33 minutes ago, SuperV said:

I thought the Racing Boomerangs were themed to the fields of the farm in Oz, where Dorothy finds the Scarecrow. I'm assuming the "Kansas Farm" is the barn entrance that transitions you into Oz.

It's definitely Kansas. The farm where she meets the Scarecrow is quite colourful, whereas the Boomerang in the concept resembles the brown colour style used for Kansas in the movie. Doesn't explain the track or train colours though 🤔

I love the concept, theme, ride choices. 

It’s now over to MW to deliver something that at least represents or reflects that artistic impression. And deliver it on time. They essentially have 30 months to complete it by 2024 (end of) and won’t have a pandemic or unexpected shipping/manufacturing timelines to fall back on this time around. 

also very happy to hear of investment in WB Kids - it has desperately needed it for many years now. If I had it may they bulldoze all but Road Runner and start afresh 

5 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Doesn't explain the track or train colours though 🤔

I think the track's just coloured that way partly cause they can/to stand out and partly just to fit with the area as a whole. As far as the trains go, they almost look like shoes, so the underneath one (red) is probably meant to be the ruby slipper. As for the other one, I don't have a clue

Edited by Tricoart

6 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

I love the concept, theme, ride choices. 

It’s now over to MW to deliver something that at least represents or reflects that artistic impression.

My thoughts too, but at least they have an IP that hopefully will force a level of standard and not allow them to half arse it.

Wow wow wow that’s way better than I was expecting, and the concept artwork is more achievable and realistic this time (in comparison to the new Atlantis).

Congratulations to MW for providing a new immersive land that isn’t anything like we’ve got in Australia, reaches into a market the park has needed to show some love to for some time (family attractions) and offering attractions we haven’t yet got that everyone will enjoy. What’s also exciting for me is the area of ‘straw’ next to the duelling coasters creates an opportunity for a future flat ride or two. 

The plaza area reminds me of Nintendo Land at USJ, which is a good thing because that’s a very impressive land (just with bad attraction choices). I hope the green castle looks good from behind because you’ll see that from Main Street and even from outside the park. Part of me thinks there won’t be access from Superman, but this concept art could be deceiving. Seeing this I hope there isn’t access and they use the Main Street and Scooby access because that allows for the arrival wow moment seeing the large buildings. 

Im also excited to see a new attraction coming to the kids area next Easter, a great and easier thing to do to offer something new while they construct WoO. I can’t imagine the coasters themselves will take that long to build, but the overall land and it’s theming and stations will be what takes the longest. I’d expect a 12-15 month construction period. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Dreamworks does have its own retail store right outside Escape from Madagascar, “Cargo Hold” from memory it’s called. 

It was closed during the winter school holidays and looks all but abandoned. I don't want to de-rail this thread but Dreamworld's website now lists the retail store as "seasonal", which is just disgraceful.

8 hours ago, Ogre said:

I would have thought the theme would be quite simple - the twister that hits kansas.

3 hours ago, Dean Barnett said:

Do you guys honestly think they’ll run the both duelling coasters outside of school holidays ?

Only if the turnstiles allow for it.

12 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

It was closed during the winter school holidays and looks all but abandoned. I don't want to de-rail this thread but Dreamworld's website now lists the retail store as "seasonal", which is just disgraceful.

Wasn’t aware of that, but haven’t done a DW visit in a couple of months aside from a duck in to ride ST. That’s a real shame

19 minutes ago, New display name said:

Wizard of OZ is screaming dark ride.   MW ending up with the same ride as Gumbuya World is a tad embarrassing for MW management.

Can agree with this.

The concept art shows they seem to be retaining much of the Lethal \ Arkham ride building including the maintenance bay and cinema (or at least the exterior facade, if not everything internal). The rides themselves don't make use of this except what appears to be a queueline \ pathway. They mention some projection mapping and this is the only place I can imagine they could be doing it.

That space is a fairly decent chunk of real-estate that could permit later additions of some very small flats, minor food outlets or merch spaces (heck the Lethal store is still standing behind that facade too).

But maybe they could shoe-horn a dark ride into that space with some creativity. It'd be a big stretch and very custom. 

I'd just love to see them connect this area to West behind the showstage. that opens up that area to possibilities later including a western \ oz themed dark ride (could use the current FN maze buildings) or even take showcase out in favour of an actual real life stage show, or other dark ride possibility. That'd also create a loop in the park rather than the maze of dead ends it currently has.

• rappa changed the title to Wizard of Oz - Movie World Arkham Asylum Replacement