Wizard of Oz - Movie World Arkham Asylum Replacement

6 minutes ago, jhunt2 said:

Can anyone clarify what is meant by the SFC being the "Southern Hemisphere's first multi-type coaster"? Not sure if that has already been mentioned, you guys are clearly as excited as I am, and I can't keep up with the forum 😂

the only thing i can think of they’re trying to say is family coaster mixed with a thrill coaster? but it’s not the first so who knows

18 minutes ago, New display name said:

Are you from MW marketing?🤣

I mean, maybe Village Roadshow have been cleverly laying the groundwork for the past 5 years by subliminally marketing WOO land to us?

image.thumb.png.2fc2b20ad5a3baf3c1d19871ba410740.png

This is the longest rollercoaster teaser campaign we've seen since Leviathan!

19 minutes ago, jhunt2 said:

Can anyone clarify what is meant by the SFC being the "Southern Hemisphere's first multi-type coaster"? 

Well they have to differentiate it from its identical twin in Victoria somehow!

In truth it means nothing if you think about it. Backwards seats would have been far better spin.

Edited by Baconjack

4 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I would have thought the theme would be quite simple - the twister that hits kansas.

I get that, I just mean - how do you theme a duelling coaster to a twister? Usually they have a racing / fighting theme of some sort.

The newspaper article (which I assume hasn't been corrected) mentioned "launched coaster", press release mentions "multi-type coaster" (which as far as I'm aware isn't a thing), so could it be a launched lift hill like that Hulk roller coaster at Universal Studios, and that's what they mean by "multi-type"? Maybe they didn't want to say launched suspended coaster because that's too wordy for the general public (at least that's what their advertising people might think).

16 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I get that, I just mean - how do you theme a duelling coaster to a twister? Usually they have a racing / fighting theme of some sort.

I probably wouldn't look into it too much. The progression of theme is a little chaotic considering that you go from the Emerald City into Kansas and then into the Witches castle, but I think the reasoning is that it allows them to use the existing train design that Vekoma has already fabricated - https://www.vekoma.com/sitdown-family-coasters/family-boomerang-racer

Edited by Dom

1 hour ago, Cactus_Matt said:

so could it be a launched lift hill like that Hulk roller coaster at Universal Studios

Vekoma model the park is getting isn’t launched, you’ll find that’s just a mistake by the media (similar to Today Show this morning showing WWW in its package about VTP, as well as the reporter saying “2 family friendly rides and one thrill ride”). 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Vekoma model the park is getting isn’t launched, you’ll find that’s just a mistake by the media (similar to Today Show this morning showing WWW in its package about VTP, as well as the reporter saying “2 family friendly rides and one thrill ride”). 

So you're telling me that the media was misunderstanding coasters? I'm sorry, but I simply refuse to believe that.

17 minutes ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

Agree. Every time the PLC stops the ride, LIVES ARE IN DANGER WITH PEOPLE DANGLING IN THE AIR FOR MINUTES AT A TIME!

It all depends on the angle of the dangle.   I remember you once telling me, the angle of the dangle is proportional to the beauty of the booty.

So I think a good dangle will leave you with a nice booty.

2 minutes ago, jack.c said:

Is that suspended coaster the same as Gumbuya? That’s a tad annoying lol. Love the theme choice though! 

It is a tad dumb but on the positive this age group has been overdue for some love for a long time.

23 minutes ago, mba2012 said:

I imagine Scooby Doo will be due for replacement by the end of the decade; a new entry could be constructed onto this precinct and then that's a huge space for a new dark ride.

due to them recently refurbishing it and how much of a fan favourite it is, i think when it reaches the end of its service life they will give it the hulk / nemesis treat enemy and just replace all tracks, supports and ride system

Edited by Rivals

29 minutes ago, Rivals said:

due to them recently refurbishing it

And making it somehow worse…. 

30 minutes ago, Rivals said:

they will give it the hulk / nemesis treat enemy

Huh? 

30 minutes ago, Rivals said:

just replace all tracks, supports and ride system

So they will gut the sound stage and start again? Sounds a fair assumption - what else would they do? 

12 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Huh? 

I believe they meant to say treatment, in which instead of demolishing the ride once it reaches the end of it's service life, they just repurchase the exact same coaster in the same spot with the same/slightly updated theming.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

So they will gut the sound stage and start again? Sounds a fair assumption - what else would they do? 

Hulk at IOS had a full track replacement once it’s reached the end of its life, nemesis is getting the same work done to it at the end of the year. 

when the public think of movie world, the two things they think of most of the time is DC and Scooby, possibly superman too. Scooby is too iconic and popular for them to just throw it and start again with a potentially not as good ride.  So when Scooby gets to that point and if there is no major issues causing it to be a pain, i could see them replacing most of the track instead of replacing the ride as a whole (lower tension track shouldn’t need replacement such as the dark ride section and station area). Also if the theming for WoO is as good as it looks, i’d love to see them retry and refurbish the theming again. 

if they were to replace it, i’d love to see a ride similar to Guardians of the galaxy cosmic rewind (obviously the theming would be no where near as good but it would still be a great ride experience) 

Edited by Rivals

1 hour ago, mba2012 said:

I imagine Scooby Doo will be due for replacement by the end of the decade; a new entry could be constructed onto this precinct and then that's a huge space for a new dark ride.

The Mack Wilde Maus series (according to RCDB) has been operating since the mid-90s. Scoob went in in 2002, and is entirely indoors and so isn't subjected to the usual weathering either. I think Scoob has a while left, but agree it would be the perfect pivot to do a dark ride either tied to WOO, or maybe they can even do a chocolate factory vibe since its a WB property also?

• Like 2

• rappa changed the title to Wizard of Oz - Movie World Arkham Asylum Replacement