Wizard of Oz - Movie World Arkham Asylum Replacement

Looking at the highest rez version of the concept as I can find.

I wonder if the artist has the suspended coaster heading in the wrong direction on that track?

Same for the dueling coaters. One's in the wrong direction, unless one will go backwards from the start, and forward on the return leg.

The old movies theming will work well. Hope to see more of it.

For those crying that they wanted big thrills to replace AA, you can go enjoy Leviathan instead. MW has sorely needed new family attractions for some time.

Edited by Whombex
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Whombex said:

Looking at the highest rez version of the concept as I can find.

I wonder if the artist has the suspended coaster heading in the wrong direction on that track?

The old movies theming will work well. Hope to see more of it.

For those crying that they wanted big thrills to replace AA, you can go enjoy Leviathan instead. MW has sorely needed new family attractions for some time.

Unless they're doing backwards-facing seats on the whole fucking ride and charging $25 a pop, I think you're right!

At least in the case of the Family Boomerang it's almost definitely the artist's choice. Noticed it facing the wrong way yesterday, and if it were to be a backwards train then the yellow side back row'd be fairly close to the station, or they'd have to be dispatching yellow considerably earlier than orange. As far as the SFC goes, I'd be willing to bet it's the same situation there, seeing as it's also got less rows than it 'should', and if they've done it once they'll do it again. Sidenote, the SFC's trains depicted are seemingly more akin to an STC (though I may be pulling differences out of nothing, at the very least the wheel assemblies and covers between each car appear the same as those on HuK, but not the same as the SFC's), and the Boomerangs trains don't seem to have any notable real-world counterpart, at least not from Vekoma (from a bit of googling, at least), but they're very close to this 3d model: https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/vehicle/train/3d-roller-coaster-cart

Edited by Tricoart

World's tallest, fastest, and greatest THE WIZARD OF OZ™ themed roller coaster to be constructed on the plot of a BATMAN™ attraction in a WARNER BROS.™ theme park?

I love the thought that marketing thinks there is somebody out there completely uninterested in two (three?) new rollercoasters until seeing that they're Wizard of Oz themed where they suddenly burst out of their chair and throw their wallet at their computer for tickets to opening day.

Edited by Dom

11 minutes ago, Dom said:

World's tallest, fastest, and greatest THE WIZARD OF OZ™ themed roller coaster to be constructed on the plot of a BATMAN™ attraction in a WARNER BROS.™ theme park?

I love the thought that marketing thinks there is somebody out there completely uninterested in two (three?) new rollercoasters until seeing that they're Wizard of Oz themed where they suddenly burst out of their chair and throw their wallet at their computer for tickets to opening day.

I mean, I have seen comments from people saying that they have to get passes now because they love Wizard of Oz so much. So its not too far off the mark, but also double edge here because Wizard of Oz is so loved, if they half arse (or even village standard) the theme, its going to disappoint a lot of people and be pretty negative in general, and they can't rely on an Australian First / Only to cover those losses.

Edited by Naazon

5 minutes ago, Dom said:

World's tallest, fastest, longest, shortest, slowest, scariest, craziest, most fun multi-type THE WIZARD OF OZ™ themed rollercoaster located at or near the coordinates -27.908126130624147, 153.311896584627 with a 'launch' up to 67km/h, a 105cm height restriction, and an average capacity of 720 riders per hour.

I appreciate what you're trying to say but I doubt that anybody is actually upset about their marketing. Others are free to chime in, but speaking for myself, I was taking the piss because if you're even remotely in the know then Village's marketing is simply hilarious. 

My favourite example is that their hero statement for their announcement is that this is the world's first Wizard of Oz land. It's not.

Edited by Dom
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Dom said:

People online are way more excited it involves Wizard of Oz over some new coasters.

• Like 5

Just now, New display name said:

People online are way more excited it involves Wizard of Oz over some new coasters.

That's what I mean. The Wizard of Oz theme is great for driving gate because its recognizable and timeless, but often times it seems that to the marketers its not enough to just have the theme - They need to ensure that people know its the world's first/world's best/biggest/etc. thing related to said theme. 

I appreciate that they're just doing their job, and I jest about all of this very lightheartedly. It's just classic theme park marketing. It's not necessarily a VRTP exclusive thing. 

On 20/7/2022 at 1:01 PM, Dom said:

I probably wouldn't look into it too much. The progression of theme is a little chaotic considering that you go from the Emerald City into Kansas and then into the Witches castle,

Agreed on this point - chronologically it's backwards. Do you meet Oz and then go to Kansas? 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

2 hours ago, Dom said:

My favourite example is that their hero statement for their announcement is that this is the world's first Wizard of Oz land. It's not.

You'll find that USJ's land (which closed in 2011) was based off the book "Land of Oz" and not the movie "The Wizard of Oz".

Broadly speaking from this thread in general - this is simply marketing in 2022 and the phrasing you'll find is simply the park's way of cutting through the insane amount of noise we're exposed to everyday. Dreamworld calls its train carriages "world-class" and Funfields has declared the record for "the world's longest ProSlide Cannonbowl waterslide." Everyone does it. And I'll side with @rappa on this one, I don't think it's worth getting too wrapped up by the words in a press release, especially when that stuff isn't aimed at us to begin with.

• rappa changed the title to Wizard of Oz - Movie World Arkham Asylum Replacement

I do wonder if any licensing has been paid to MGM? If so, I could see a small track ride like Pinocchio at Disneyland based on the Merry Old Land of Oz sequence from the movie.

They did mention bringing the Movies back to the park, and they have paid licensing fees in the past (eg Harry Potter).

7 minutes ago, Tricoart said:

They're talking about the Wonka candy
Wonka Nerds Rainbow Crunchy Candy, 6 Oz. - Walmart.com

I know, but the whole reason the brand name was used is because a successful children's book has been adapted into two successful films. So wouldn't it make sense for a company to continue to take advantage of the Wonka name, especially when there is a new film right around the corner? 

I know Nestle discontinued the brand overseas in 2018, but I wouldn't be surprise if it made a comeback if the new movie is successful. 

Edited by Prequel

5 hours ago, ads086 said:

I do wonder if any licensing has been paid to MGM? If so, I could see a small track ride like Pinocchio at Disneyland based on the Merry Old Land of Oz sequence from the movie.

They did mention bringing the Movies back to the park, and they have paid licensing fees in the past (eg Harry Potter).

Doesn't WB own the rights to Oz (the film), so any licensing fees would be paid to them? At a glance it seems MGM doesn't own the rights to Oz.

I have NFI how the licenses for WB/DC/Scooby/Looney Tunes work at MW, but I'd assume it would work in the same way as those given that Oz is a WB IP?

Edited by Baconjack

IP movie rights rarely have anything to do with use in theme parks. In a number of cases different companies actually own the production/performance rights vs the distribution rights for a film or cartoon, etc. 

So just because its a WB or roadshow IP, doesnt mean it crosses over for use in parks.

Also have to remember that village bought out warner bros small share of ownership awhile ago and essentially use the name under a rights agreement. The characters you see likewise would have some sort of usage agreement too I would expect. 

WB don't even use village roadshow for aus film distribution anymore either. They ended their partnership a couple of years ago. 

https://www.facebook.com/7NEWSBrisbane/videos/1507375373054233/

This news report states that the precinct will cost $40 million. Considering the coasters themselves shouldn’t cost that much because they’re small and simple, it gives an indication of how good the theming and precincts elements could actually be

• Like 1