Wizard of Oz - Movie World Arkham Asylum Replacement

29 minutes ago, pin142 said:

Should give a rough guide as to how much they spent on the rides vs theming.

from what i’ve found, here are the approximate costs of the two coasters: 

- Orkanen at fårup sommerland cost approximately $7,295,050aud.

- Couldn’t find the cost for the Vekoma Dueling Family Boomerang, however a traditional model costs around $4,219,572aud, so i’d say it would cost maybe $6,000,000aud.

putting these costs together the amount being spent on both of the coasters should be around $13,295,050.

Using these costs, the area theming could be costing $26,704,950, hope this helps for anyone that was wondering on an approximate theming cost for the area :) 

Edited by Rivals

19 minutes ago, Rivals said:

Using these costs, the area theming could be costing $26,704,950

Assuming that money invested into theming is a valid scale for the quality of theming, then (even including the price for new food, drink, retail, and other buildings) from what I can tell that's around double what the previous best-themed section in AUS (Dreamworks Experience) cost, in a plot of land that's smaller than it is. Which is to say, that's somewhat promising.

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rivals said:

Using these costs, the area theming could be costing $26,704,950, hope this helps for anyone that was wondering on an approximate theming cost for the area :) 

You’re missing the shipping expenses which are large, and the much higher labour costs. Also missing the cost of removing Arkham. I reckon you’re probably looking at less than half your estimate being left over 

Edited by Brad2912
Typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

You’re missing the shopping expenses which are large, and the much higher labour costs. Also missing the cost of removing Arkham. I reckon you’re probably looking at less than half your estimate being left over 

sorry i completely forgot about shipping and those other costs but also have no idea how to work those out. let’s just say for a better idea on what we could be seeing that all the left over money will be evenly contributed to those factors, and considering the area isn’t exactly huge it’s still a lot of money and we may actually get really good theming.

i do wonder if Dreamworld will do anything to ABC kids land or Dreamworks around the same time to try and one up or create competition again, we’ll just have to wait and see what happens 

Edited by Rivals

11 minutes ago, Rivals said:

sorry i completely forgot about shipping and those other costs but also have no idea how to work those out. let’s just say for a better idea on what we could be seeing that all the left over money will be evenly contributed to those factors, and considering the area isn’t exactly huge it’s still a lot of money and we may actually get really good theming.

i do wonder if Dreamworld will do anything to ABC kids land or Dreamworks around the same time to try and one up or create competition again, we’ll just have to wait and see what happens 

Wasn't there talk about a Legoland retheme to ABC Kids in like April? I think Dreamworks is pretty fine as it stands, but ABC Kids desperately needs a redo, especially after the poor attempt to retheme it to the new Wiggles, and the removal of it's star attraction.

Edited by Tricoart

4 hours ago, Tricoart said:

Wasn't there talk about a Legoland retheme to ABC Kids in like April? I think Dreamworks is pretty fine as it stands, but ABC Kids desperately needs a redo, especially after the poor attempt to retheme it to the new Wiggles, and the removal of it's star attraction.

i remember their being speculation of a retheme because they said they plan on upgrading the area a while ago, i think when they said it they were just starting the planning process. Dreamwork’s is fine however i think they could give it a minor refurb here and there such as EFM repaint, repaint of some of the buildings and maybe a new ride if they can squeeze one in somewhere, these improvements will just to keep the area fresh for years to come but it’s not essential as the area is enjoyable and well presented.

2 minutes ago, Rivals said:

i remember their being speculation of a retheme because they said they plan on upgrading the area a while ago, i think when they said it they were just starting the planning process.

Yeah, there was that, but I'm thinking more about how in April they specifically got a permit for a 'Legoland Renovation' (or something to that effect). No matter if that pans out or not, though, ABC Kids World really needs it. And this'll hopefully push them to do it sooner and better.

Edited by Tricoart

On 22/07/2022 at 7:57 PM, Baconjack said:

Doesn't WB own the rights to Oz (the film), so any licensing fees would be paid to them? At a glance it seems MGM doesn't own the rights to Oz.

In 2011, it was confirmed WB were the rights owners of the 1939 MGM Film. The Disney\MGM partnership a while back has confused folks thinking that Disney owns it too, so it's easy just to leave it as 'its complicated'.

If you missed it, I did a little snip of the complicated copyright applying to various Land Of Oz products:

On 19/07/2022 at 6:14 PM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

TL:DR - Return To Oz is owned by Disney and it's unlikely you'll bring those characters to Movie World.

If you don't want to read a century long history of the land of oz, skip the rest. If you want to read a page long rambling summary of the even longer Wiki article then settle down and read on...

The short answer is - if you intend on using the specific images - Ruby Slippers, Green Wicked Witch, Flying Monkeys etc, many of these images and elements are copyrighted by the film, and therefore owned by WB. 

You could skirt this restriction in the same way that Disney did a decade ago with 'Oz' but as the park is marketing as 'first wizard of oz land et al' it is very implied that they're going very much for the 1939 style, so we must conclude that they've licenced through WB. The publicity shots with Dorothy wearing 'ruby' slippers, and the specific imagery of Scarecrow, Lion and TInman that all fairly represent the on-screen characters - it's certainly used under licence.

On 23/07/2022 at 10:56 PM, Rivals said:

sorry i completely forgot about shipping and those other costs but also have no idea how to work those out.

I remember Mark Shaw mentioned a while back how much a ride cost vs. how much the total project cost was, but I can't for the life of me remember. For some reason I keep thinking it was about 50% of the costs - but I know someone here will remember that and correct me...?

On 23/07/2022 at 10:56 PM, Rivals said:

sorry i completely forgot about shipping and those other costs but also have no idea how to work those out

Surely Gumbuya World would have mentioned how much they are investing on their new coaster. This would give a rough idea how much that coaster model cost unless Village got a deal for the new coasters and Road Runner trains.

On 25/07/2022 at 8:51 AM, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

The publicity shots with Dorothy wearing 'ruby' slippers, and the specific imagery of Scarecrow, Lion and TInman that all fairly represent the on-screen characters - it's certainly used under licence.

Only need to check their website to confirm - THE WIZARD OF OZ and all related characters and elements © & ™ Turner Entertainment Co. (s22)

• Like 1

I haven’t been in or around Movie World for a few weeks now, but have heard rumours that some of the car park has been sectioned off to house ride parts. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this rumour? If so, it seems a little early to be doing it for WOO (assuming that’s what it’s for)? 

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Haha, how so? 
I know getting views of construction is cool, but keeping the park tidy, and keeping untidy crap hidden from the paying public is more important.

Because, as enthusiasts, we'd much prefer to be able to follow every minute construction detail than build giant walls to hide the mess.

• 3 weeks later...