Spitballing Wild Ideas for the Future of Movie World

FlaffMaff

Hi all, short time reader, first time poster;

The recent announcement of the Wizard of Oz Precinct at Movie World has got my mind racing about possible attractions and lands post 2024 when the WOO area opens. Realistically speaking, Village Roadshow won't do anything with the park until like 2030 when they decide to open a coaster themed to another DC character (barring maybe a new show in The Roxy Theatre), but I'm constantly fascinated by the idea of future attractions at MW, even if they are way beyond the scope of what can realistically be delivered. So I thought I'd start a fun discussion asking y'all what future attractions, lands, or whatever the sort you'd wanna see at Movie World, no matter how wild it may be. Literally suggest a Rise of the Resistance level dark ride themed to The Mask, so long as it's a Warner IP or one they could likely license, it works here. 

Here are some personal ideas of mine, but I'd love to hear all of yours;

- Create a highly immersive Gotham/Metropolis area something along the lines of the one in Abu Dhabi but with all the existing attractions barring maybe a few of the smaller ones as it could get a bit cluttered. Have this start at the path leading to Green Lantern/DC Rivals/Justice League and find a way to link it all the way to the Supervillains Precinct (I'll note a retheme of this later), creating a clean path/area that encompasses all the DC attractions in the park rather than the three we have currently. A lot of entrances would have to be torn down and relocated for this to work and not interfere with other areas (namely WOO), but if it means having an area on par with the one in Abu Dhabi, I could care less. Also use this opportunity to give Justice League a complete overhaul and update it to something like the one at Six Flags, or even the one in Abu Dhabi. Basically, just fix the attraction, it's in a very depressing state. I'd also remove the DC Superhero store at the entrance and replace it with something more broad, as it's the first shop you see when you enter the park and having it themed to DC is a bit redundant as it creates the (unfortunately accurate) idea that this is a DC park. No problems with DC, but as I said, removing this would help in making it so that DC has one, big singular area.

- Update Scooby Doo, the Next Generation overhaul is a bit of a sham and half the effects barely work, if at all. Ideally it could be reverted back to the original but I think it'd be pretty neat to have a more animated version of the ride, possibly based on the new Scoob film. Theme the area around the ride (Gotham City Cafe and some of the surrounding facades) to Scooby Doo. This creates a nice little Scooby Doo area. God this makes it sound like I wanna remove all the DC stuff, I swear I'm not against it or anything lol.

- And for further proof that I hate DC (I swear I don't), remove the Supervillain Precinct area as a way to more effectively transition between areas of the park. Tons of stuff that could be put here, but ideally, I'd love to see a Godzilla area, themed to a Monarch Outpost. Have little props scattered around as well as restaurants and shops (no clue how to tie this into the theme) and then a flying theatre attraction. I've truly got no clue how or where this would fit, but something like Soarin' but Godzilla where you fly around in a Monarch vehicle while you escape Godzilla or possibly help him would be incredible and maybe then I can die happy and stop writing entire essays on how a park that can barely invest in fixing a shooting dark ride should build attractions worth hundreds of millions of dollars. But hey, it's a fun thing to do, and I hope y'all can to!

Oh also maybe some smaller shows themed to Terminator or Clint Eastwood, Terminator might be a bit of a licensing difficulty but anything is possible when the scope is infinite! I'd love to hear all of your ideas!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

INB4 woodie beside wild west, something something mad max, something matrix, something something river ride, dark ride, use the whole LTRR show building, get rid of HWSD and replace with better show, use showstage for an actual show again.

miss anything?

RMC HYPER-HYBRID ON TOP OF WIZARD OF OZ

1 minute ago, Tricoart said:

If the effort into theming with this WoO section goes well, the first thing I'd love to see is a revamp of the section towards Rivals, as that's (in my opinion) the most neglected section theme-wise. Maybe revamp JL, or just replace it with something better and unique.

Agreed. I do think they should maintain a Justice League theme and the facade, but the ride itself is in desperate need of an update. I think it would be awesome if they took the one from Abu Dhabi and cloned it. Here it is for interest purposes.

for me i’d love to see:

- a GCI coaster in the wild west area would be amazing, however i have no idea how or if they could fit it in.

- the original doomsday tower ride (different theme now) installed in the superman ride envelope. 

- Zamperla Nebulaz installed in the WoO area

- Coaster similar to Guardian Of The Galaxy at Epcot either replacing Scooby Doo (if track refurb isn’t done) or possible even JL if it isn’t replace with another dark ride

Edited by Rivals

The second-biggest issue besides cost is space. How can the park expand beyond its footprint and where would all these pie-in-the-sky attractions be built?

I've always wondered, and perhaps someone with more local knowledge can answer; what is the feasibility of reclaiming some of the swampland adjacent to (south and west of) DC Rivals to use for future park expansion? We're looking at a sizeable area, and if a portion of that was reclaimed, the footprint could potentially expand by up to 30%. Don't tell me it's impossible because 40 years ago, that's what the entire site looked like.

There's also room to extend out the back between WWF and the Wizard of Oz land , behind the Showcase building, creating another much-needed loop in the park's overall layout. Move a couple sheds and shipping containers and, bam, plenty of room out the back there. Dark ride, stage show, Mad Max coaster... you know the drill.

The grassy strip next to the park entrance (opposite side to GL) between the back-of-house and carpark is plenty large enough for a thrill ride or compact coaster. If there was ever a prime spot for an RMC single-rail, I'd say this would be it.

Remember the Intencity dodgem hall? And before that, it was the Matrix building? What is that space used for now? It's obviously far too small for a proper ride or show, but another walk-through exhibit could be of real benefit and help in some capacity to soak up the crowds.

I predict the Road Runner would go well before Scooby-Doo; especially now with an SFC joining the line-up, Road Runner will be pretty redundant in a few years. Axe it and put in a kiddie-sized water ride. Also, would it be impossible to repurpose the two operations buildings behind JDS? What's in there and could it be moved into the hotel complex? Would it be infeasible to expand the WB Zone out that way?

Just some ideas about spaces that could be utilised, although a 500-ft T-Rex and a B&M Giga would of course be welcomed. 😏

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CR4ZE said:

The second-biggest issue besides cost is space. How can the park expand beyond its footprint and where would all these pie-in-the-sky attractions be built?

I've always wondered, and perhaps someone with more local knowledge can answer; what is the feasibility of reclaiming some of the swampland adjacent to (south and west of) DC Rivals to use for future park expansion? We're looking at a sizeable area, and if a portion of that was reclaimed, the footprint could potentially expand by up to 30%. Don't tell me it's impossible because 40 years ago, that's what the entire site looked like.

There's also room to extend out the back between WWF and the Wizard of Oz land , behind the Showcase building, creating another much-needed loop in the park's overall layout. Move a couple sheds and shipping containers and, bam, plenty of room out the back there. Dark ride, stage show, Mad Max coaster... you know the drill.

The grassy strip next to the park entrance (opposite side to GL) between the back-of-house and carpark is plenty large enough for a thrill ride or compact coaster. If there was ever a prime spot for an RMC single-rail, I'd say this would be it.

Remember the Intencity dodgem hall? And before that, it was the Matrix building? What is that space used for now? It's obviously far too small for a proper ride or show, but another walk-through exhibit could be of real benefit and help in some capacity to soak up the crowds.

I predict the Road Runner would go well before Scooby-Doo; especially now with an SFC joining the line-up, Road Runner will be pretty redundant in a few years. Axe it and put in a kiddie-sized water ride. Also, would it be impossible to repurpose the two operations buildings behind JDS? What's in there and could it be moved into the hotel complex? Would it be infeasible to expand the WB Zone out that way?

Just some ideas about spaces that could be utilised, although a 500-ft T-Rex and a B&M Giga would of course be welcomed. 😏

Just demolish the soundstages and you've got so much PARK

All jokes aside though these are very logical solutions for space. I really like the idea of reclaiming the swamp land because that area is HUGE and could lead to some great stuff. There's a few backstage buildings behind WWF as well as a large patch of grass, I'm not 100% sure if they're soundstages or not, but if not, that gives them tons of space to expand. There are a lot of solutions for MW to expand and Village Roadshow expanding in that would be pretty awesome.

Edited by FlaffMaff

50 minutes ago, CR4ZE said:

i remember when DCR opened, there was discussion on here about how the last airtime hill’s supports were shaped (pictured below) and if it was to make way for a pathway to new attractions. I have no idea if this is possible, but it certainly is something to think about. 

46EE97C5-29D5-4C47-B812-67908F486F19.thumb.jpeg.118382e253beaed8e2200f4c7b0fe42e.jpeg

credit: Theme Park Ogre - youtube

the last time the space was used was for a Fright Nights Maze (IT - 2019), which if that’s the case i’m fine with that just being used for that purpose but i guess we’ll see if it’s being used again this year.

couldn’t agree more

Edited by Rivals

3 minutes ago, Rivals said:

i remember when DCR opened, there was discussion on here about the last airtime hill’s supports were shaped (pictured below) and if it was to make way for a pathway to new attractions. I have no idea if this is possible, but it certainly is something to think about. 

Though that would be really cool, I feel like there's too many issues with Rivals being retrofitted to go over multiple pathways for me to realistically type out here.

1 hour ago, Rivals said:

i remember when DCR opened, there was discussion on here about how the last airtime hill’s supports were shaped (pictured below) and if it was to make way for a pathway to new attractions. I have no idea if this is possible, but it certainly is something to think about. 

I would have thought it was shaped like that to cross the creek. Where would they build the new attractions? On the swamp? Not exactly the smartest of things to do tbh.

To be honest, I think what MW really needs after the WOO area is a decent new dark ride. The park already has a solid line-up of coasters at this point and the void left by the loss of LTRR still hasn’t been filled IMHO. Even just seeing JL get the refurb/maintenance it desperately needs will be a nice step forward. 

1 hour ago, pin142 said:

I would have thought it was shaped like that to cross the creek. Where would they build the new attractions? On the swamp? Not exactly the smartest of things to do tbh.

it was just a conversation people were having on here not like set in stone that’s why, it was just speculation

4 hours ago, CR4ZE said:

[snip] I've always wondered, and perhaps someone with more local knowledge can answer; what is the feasibility of reclaiming some of the swampland adjacent to (south and west of) DC Rivals to use for future park expansion? We're looking at a sizeable area, and if a portion of that was reclaimed, the footprint could potentially expand by up to 30%. Don't tell me it's impossible because 40 years ago, that's what the entire site looked like. [snip]

The swamp is a crucial part of the water flow for the suburb. It will very likely never be able to be filled in. 
No swamp would exacerbate situations like this. More pics, these of the swamp area in flood.

Edited by Whombex
  • Like 1

The big three areas of improvement that have stuck out for the last few years:

1. Arkham/Lethal Weapon area. Already dealt with. My only complaint is that another entry path should be made to the Oz area from Gotham City Cafe area so there's two entrances rather than just the one in front of Superman considering the transition from DC to Oz will be a little jarring.

2. WB Kids. The extra flat coming next year is a nice bonus, as are all the little updates/refurbishments done recently, but more needs to be done for the area to be really complete. Get rid of Junior Driving School and replace it with a nice family dark ride that has some heart and detail put into it.

3 hours ago, CR4ZE said:

Lethal Weapon had $2 million invested in it and it lasted seven years as Arkham. Spot the difference.

Apples and oranges comparison. Road Runner's new trains weren't experimental designs from a 2nd rate manufacturer and probably won't rip apart the track. Road Runner will run as long as MW want it to - no doubt about that. People knew Arkham's fate was sealed the minute Corkscrew was ripped out- it was just a matter of when, not if.

3. Wild West precinct. Not a precinct but it definitely is capable of it.

WWF got the new boats this year but who knows where this thing will be in 10 years time... haven't been on the ride in about 3 years but the state of the theming was quite poor last time so some work needs to be done in this department.

The area occupied by the Studio Showcase building beside WWF is ripe for a new major coaster project - the base model Raptor would fit comfortably in the space without creating too much noise for the neighbouring studios.

image.thumb.png.5087194a5ae5264bc1c6d1ea10f96366.png

Rip out the nonsense that is DC Super-Villains and re-theme Doomsday and its surrounds to the Western theme.

In a decade's time, the bulk of DC will be in need of a redo. Justice League has needed to be gutted and re-done for years, Green Lantern's reliability is less than desirable now let alone in 10 years, and whether Superman will experience the same problems as its cousins overseas as it gets older is still yet to be seen. 

Scooby based on its current trajectory is a big question mark in my book as well.

Edited by Baconjack

25 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

My only complaint is that another entry path should be made to the Oz area from Gotham City Cafe area so there's two entrances rather than just the one in front of Superman considering the transition from DC to Oz will be a little jarring.

I know we don't like to give VRTP too much credit here when it comes to logistics/planning, but surely they have thought of this. Look carefully at the top-left corner of the concept art. I know that's not quite where the cafe area is (I believe you would need to make a left at the end), however it seems intentionally drawn to look like an opening. I'd be shocked at the level of oversight if they didn't open up the path back to Gotham, because you'd essentially create a high-traffic area right at a dead end.

Road Runner will run as long as MW want it to

I'd expect it to dwindle in popularity when Oz opens, and I doubt they'd want to continue funneling money into it in the long-term. Put it this way, it really wouldn't be any major loss if it was torn out for something newer, and it's not exactly a capacity monster.

The area occupied by the Studio Showcase building beside WWF is ripe for a new major coaster project

I'd prefer a moderate GCI or a couple flats, but it certainly seems easy enough to extend behind the Showcase.

In a decade's time, the bulk of DC will be in need of a redo

More like, since a decade ago ...

Edited by CR4ZE