Dreamworld 21/07/22

Very wet day at Dreamworld today but had some time to check out the train for the first time.

Some park pics around 1230 for you... Surely DW is hemorrhaging money with mid-week turnout atm. Makes me sad to think of what the future may or may not hold for the park.

Train time... I smashed my head incredibly hard on the overhang getting on. Conductor didn't ask if i was ok. About 10 seconds after doing it a prerecorded safety spiel saying 'watch your head' played.... Not sure if it was just bad timing but goddamn it hurt and is still hurting now.  Train trip is pleasant although some areas that were previously back of house need some ...ahem.. tidying. Also noticed a few signs for winterfest still up... 

Anyway... Everything was a walk on. Park was neat and tidy and staff for the most part were great. A little concussion never killed anyone right?

IMG_20220721_113735.jpg

IMG_20220721_113740.jpg

IMG_20220721_113813.jpg

IMG_20220721_113825.jpg

IMG_20220721_113945.jpg

IMG_20220721_114504.jpg

IMG_20220721_121206.jpg

IMG_20220721_120829.jpg

IMG_20220721_120848.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aussienetman said:

Train time... I smashed my head incredibly hard on the overhang getting on.

I'm glad someone else had this, as I went just as the holidays were ending and repeatedly bashed my head into the roof when getting on every single time without fail, and there was no safety message to warn people. Felt like an idiot.

Edited by Tricoart

I typically look where I’m going and then hitting my head gets harder to accomplish… 

13 hours ago, Tricoart said:

repeatedly bashed my head into the roof when getting on every single time without fail, and there was no safety message to warn people.

If you didn’t learn to adapt from the actual experience and pain of hitting your head multiple times, I doubt some form of verbal announcement is going to change anything 

13 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

I typically look where I’m going and then hitting my head gets harder to accomplish… 

If you didn’t learn to adapt from the actual experience and pain of hitting your head multiple times, I doubt some form of verbal announcement is going to change anything 

Yes, because you can never be looking down/ahead at where you're actually going instead of above, or talking to people you're with while boarding. If it's common enough that multiple people in this niche section of the internet have dealt with it, and they've retroactively attempted to add a warning over the speakers, it's an issue that no amount of snide 'look where you're going' comments'll fix.

Edited by Tricoart

33 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

It's amazing how I manage to get into my car each and every time without an announcement reminding not to bash my head into it!
Crazily I even manage whilst talking to people and looking where I am going instead of up 😛

2 hours ago, Tricoart said:

If it's common enough that multiple people in this niche section of the internet have dealt with it

I’m not sure if 2 people are enough to classify it as “common”. 

they've retroactively attempted to add a warning over the speakers

I rode the train twice on the weekend, there was no warning over the speakers whatsoever. Maybe they just play it after they see people hitting their heads… 

it's an issue

I don’t think it’s an issue anymore so than people walking into poles as they are too busy looking at their phones…. My son used to always run into things, thankfully he grew out of the toddler stage.  

Edited by Brad2912

On 22/07/2022 at 5:17 PM, Brad2912 said:

I rode the train twice on the weekend, there was no warning over the speakers whatsoever. Maybe they just play it after they see people hitting their heads…

As I mentioned recently, I rode the train a few weeks ago while it was operating with just the driver. The driver was at the rear of the train, and the PA announcements were cycling periodically.

I'm not sure whether the 'mind your head' announcement was retroactively added, or whether it just wasn't heard prior to people smacking their melon into the roof. The station roof is a lot lower, because the platform has been raised.

While I applaud them for making this attraction entirely Wheelchair accessible, I feel as though they've gone a step too far - raising the floor to accommodate a roll-on carriage has had the flip side of reducing the headroom for normal passengers. Has this created an unintended consequence?

I know we're all laughing about being adults and able to not hit our heads on our cars and things, but we've talked for decades here about theme parks - specifically about guests checking their brain at the gate. A modern park attraction with such a high-risk hazard to the average population should never have existed.

They need to look into some sort of rubber bumper or other padded edge to these carriages. 

• Like 1

The carriages - the roofline of the carriage is what people are hitting. The main cause for this is because the station platform was raised significantly to give the carriage a roll-on, roll-off path. But the carriages aren't designed for standing passengers, so the roof is lower for that reason. 

If one was to be stepping up onto the carriage, it wouldn't be an issue, but because its at noggin level, clang.

1 hour ago, New display name said:

DW have the technology to fix this.🤣

83cb097eb0d7c34f90541ef4deccff58.jpg

Oh God, not this nightmare again!.

Yes, the carriages are lower than one would think (floor to roof). Announce it's help but common sense does also. Raising the platforms helped for wheelchair access, that's a great thing but as mentioned by others it's caused some new issues. If someone of average height can smack their head imagine someone who's incredibly taller. 

What worries me is vision-impaired guests. someone who's legally blind might not be able to judge the height of the roof and could very well, hurt themselves. Some easy fixes can occur and I am sure within the time they will be adapted. 

I was lucky enough to ride the train during the holidays. While some have mentioned the BOH (back of house) areas are messy etc they have always been like that. So I’m not sure how anyone would expect this to be fixed. The giant pathway near tiger island is used for vehicular movement outside hours. The rest of the railway seemed good. The only slight issue I had is the fact the track is still settling and has some “dips” more commonly known as “holes” within the railway industry. I hope these get some attention soon as they can cause wheel-wear issues and track damage over time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DaptoFunlandGuy said:

I know we're all laughing about being adults and able to not hit our heads on our cars and things, but we've talked for decades here about theme parks - specifically about guests checking their brain at the gate. A modern park attraction with such a high-risk hazard to the average population should never have existed.

Exactly. I think the 2 main issues it has is that it has nothing to make it pop out when boarding, so it's just matte black in front of more black, and that it's height is great for those who are shorter, but in the 6'-6'2" range it's the perfect height for it to not be obviously in front of you, but for it to just clip the top of the head. So, if anything, it's these 'adults' that are ending up doing so if they don't find a better/easier way of warning.

Edited by Tricoart