August 2022 Gold Coast trip - Which parks to choose?

Action Man

Found this forum while browsing for info on the tragic Dreamworld incident, as a maintenance electrician my interest in this topic was certainly piqued.

On a totally unrelated matter, I'm looking to take my two of my teenage kids (16 & 17) and my two grandkids (4 & 6) to either Dreamworld/WWW or Movieworld/W&W, at the end of August. Having read lots of great info on here I'm leaning towards DW/WWW, as my primary driving motivation is the avoidance of standing in line waiting and it seems DW is a little less crowded. I have no real desire toward any particular theme or rides, just want the kids to have fun.

Any feedback taps would be greatly appreciated!

• Richard changed the title to August 2022 Gold Coast trip - Which parks to choose?
18 minutes ago, Action Man said:

Just realised WWW won't even be open while we're there......makes the Village Super Pass a little more attractive.

If you were just headed to one park, Dreamworld'd be the best one. If you want to go to 2, however, my opinion's be to do Movie World and Sea World (over W&W, but because of it not being good weather like Whombex, and just cause of Sea World being the better option generally). Far as crowds go, no matter whether it's Dreamworld, Sea World or Movie World there will be crowds on holidays, but in my experience Dreamworld feels like it comparatively has less (likely due to its sheer size).

Edited by Tricoart
  • Like 1

August is a pretty good time to visit, queues are normally quite low, particularly during the week. Maintenance wise you're pretty sweet too, Green Lantern and Doomsday are down at MW, and Giant Drop/ Claw at DW. Depending on where you're from you could be OK with water parks - WnW just came off a surprisingly busy but througherly pleasant winter holiday period with Kiwis and people from Melbourne so apparently is warm enough for some.

I think WnW alone is enough to tip the balance for me, but if I were taking family to the parks now I'd go MW over DW

EDIT to say have an awesome holiday! Kids will have a ball 😃

From personal experience (i’m same age as your kids) my friends and I tend to have more of an enjoyable and fun time at Dreamworld compared to Movie World, it feels like there’s more to do and see, the food is less expensive and staff are nicer (I lean more towards GP then Enthusiast so i go to just have fun then look into stuff when home.)

The Lines at Movie World also draw us back from going there compared to Dreamworld, last time we visited on a school day (mid term) Superman & GL were broken down most of the morning so the waits were averaging around 30-60mins, whereas at Dreamworld you can mostly expect 10-25mins depending on what’s open and what’s not.

Yeah its a real hairsplitting challenge you've got there. The age groups you've got are whats going to make the decision hardest. 

Usually the younger kids are said to be far better catered for at Dreamworld with both ABC Kids and Dreamworks, whereas the teenagers are probably going to enjoy Movie World's big rides.

The correct answer for me, would probably be 'do both' as you'll find each group will excel in different areas. As you've seen - even amongst folks here, there are split opinions on which one to do. 

If you can only manage one, i'd involve the teenagers in the decision. The younger kids might not have as much fun, but tend to be less fussy - whereas the moody teenagers are far more difficult - its better to aim to keep them pleased!

Whether you do or don't get to Dreamworld - remember they have Moonlight Markets on on Friday and Saturday nights. No rides, but the park hosts a food market, outdoor cinema, and their main street store, candy shop and lego store are open for the duration - and even if you don't 'go' to dreamworld, the markets are worth a drop in for dinner with plenty of choices. (entry is $2 for adults, but passholders, or those already in the park can attend the markets free of charge).

21 hours ago, joz said:

I think WnW alone is enough to tip the balance for me, but if I were taking family to the parks now I'd go MW over DW

My daughter doesn't like MW at all.   She likes SW & DW.  When my sister came up form Adelaide with her young kids she told me her kids liked SW and DW.