How would you rebuild Dreamworld?

Vidgamer

54 minutes ago, jjuttp said:

Ty the tasmanian tiger. It's a cheap IP, has a significant amount of theme potential, Australian, and can be used as an excuse to get people into Corroboree.

That’s a neat idea but dreamworld probably wouldn’t use an obscure game as ip. crash bandicoot would be a better pick but now that Activision is being bought by Microsoft that’s now also unrealistic 

8 hours ago, Smol bean said:

That’s a neat idea but dreamworld probably wouldn’t use an obscure game as ip. crash bandicoot would be a better pick but now that Activision is being bought by Microsoft that’s now also unrealistic 

The upside though is that you can make it not obscure if done right. The games are starting to get some traction again through the store releases, Kickstarters, the big push this year (20th anniversary and chinese year of the tiger), and the advertising for a Ty 5. If the park was to either build on the old BB theatre or retheme ABC and reopen Billabong, that would be a great start. Billabong could become Mauries Ginger Beer Factory (table service), Wiggles Ride could become a trackless screen based ride on a centre spindle with dome screens (think JL3D and Forbidden Journey merged) based on Julius's inventions with a Boss Cass/Fluffy attack at some point. Gift shop is Bri and Di's Rang Shop. The Wiggles House and that area next to it can be a meet and greet made to look like Bush Rescue HQ. Stick Dukes helicopter somewhere to break the area up a bit. Pirate ship is already in-universe with Redbeard the Pirate. Then just find a way to theme the Teacups, Ferris Wheel and Rock n Tug to Ranger Ken, Rex, Ellie and Dennis and you've ticked off all the characters really.

Connect dreamworld theme park by connecting adjoining and significant land owned by dreamland owner as a total guest experience.  Build as they were planning last year a four (4) start hotel, a five (5) star caravan park and amenities and then sell the Ardent Leisure holistic Queensland business to the highest bidder.  

With  infrastructure planning commenced by QLD gov in preparation for the 2032 olympics and potential background plans by Ardent Leisure to sell the theme park(s), it may be probable that dreamworld is sold sometime during 2024.

As recently reported by the Western Australian a significant entity has already inspected the finances of Ardent Leisure in the dark room.

The question is maintained, who will be the buyer should the above assumption(s) be the case.  The mind boggles

Is Crash even an IP worth diving into these days? 

A couple of games have come out in the last few years, yes, but this would have been a far better fit 20 years ago.

Speaking of game related IP’s I’m totally baffled that no company has bought into Sonic. An IP that has appeal with both kids and adults, which is super popular at the moment because of the movies, plus it’s one of very few family IP’s these days with the theme park rights up for grabs.

The best Ardent can do is to negotiate a deal with Merlin to replace ABC Kids with Lego. Like Wizard of Oz it is a timeless IP that never goes out of favour (cough Nickelodeon Central). Bluey makes sense now but if ABC Kids was rethemed to Bluey, will that area remain popular in 5-10 years?

Dreamworks will be a challenge once that contract approaches its conclusion, has Universal ever licensed out one of its IP’s to a competitor?

Edited by Baconjack

I’m just under 18 and the IP’s you guys mentioned i have never even heard about so probably not the smartest decision for a kids area retheme. 

Lego would make the most sense and it’s timeless, it wouod make the lego store out the front make a little bit more sense. I’d also love if they retrofitted the billabong building for some type of dark ride or indoor roller coaster, it would suit the park amazingly. I’d also love if they moved the entrance to the area up past the MC entrance so that ride can fit into an area properly with a not so random theme, knocking down the old buildings across from the rides entrance to make way for more new kids rides would also be a smart decision. 

Let’s just hope something happens soon as all the other areas of the park have been getting refreshed and it’s definitely making this area of the park look extra run down.

Edited by Rivals

1 hour ago, Rivals said:

I’m just under 18 and the IP’s you guys mentioned i have never even heard about so probably not the smartest decision for a kids area retheme. 

You haven’t heard of Crash Bandicoot? 

1 hour ago, Rivals said:

I’d also love if they retrofitted the billabong building for some type of dark ride or indoor roller coaster

Have you ever been in the Billabong Restaurant? It’s not a show building, you couldn’t retrofit anything into it. You’d need to knock down and rebuild to suit those purposes, which there is no point in doing when you could find alternate space if that was the plan, and the Billabong restaurant certainly has a place in the park when international tourism and Asian tour groups kick back in 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

You haven’t heard of Crash Bandicoot? 

after googling it, looks familiar but have no idea 

honestly didn’t even think of it being not suitable for a ride building until you said that and i do hope they open it back up eventually, was kinda just one of those “in my perfect world” type scenarios.

1 hour ago, Naazon said:

But there was a remaster and huge fanfare over the remaster like just a few years ago. maybe 4? or 5?

Like it was all over the place with the younger generation complaining about how hard it was.

And they released a 4th game in addition to the CTR remake.

Wait Sonic was mentioned too. You cant say you dont know Sonic.

Edited by jjuttp
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Baconjack said:

Speaking of game related IP’s I’m totally baffled that no company has bought into Sonic. An IP that has appeal with both kids and adults

Absolutely baffled Sonic isn't utilised more worldwide in this industry. Multimedia super-giant that is know for going fast and the use of momentum. If Ardent has enough cash in their pockets, jumping on the phone to SEGA Sammy would be a very impactful move (even more so than Crash).

Agree, Sonic would be a far better property than Crash if you could get your hands on it. A quick look at the Sonic Wiki suggests that there are many licence holders out there but not anything specific to theme parks. Paramount are the current film rights holders, so its possible. Probably pretty expensive though given the brand's popularity.

7 hours ago, jjuttp said:

Wait Sonic was mentioned too. You cant say you dont know Sonic.

Don’t worry i know sonic i played it growing up😭

imo i think they should either stick with a refreshed ABC kids theme, or go with lego or sonic, i do hope whatever they do MC is incorporated into the theme as its always been a random off to the side type theme.

2 hours ago, Rivals said:

Don’t worry i know sonic i played it growing up😭

Honestly this is super fascinating to me now and I suspect this is now just a console isolation thing where you and your friends only had Nintendo products because if you grew up playing Sonic, then Crash was around.

Sonic 2D Platformer Game Release Years:

1991, 1992, 1993 (2), 1994 (3), 1995, 1996, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017

Crash Game Release Years:

1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2019, 2020

I'll be honest all this conversation has done is convince me that old computer game characters would be a terrible move for the park. In a world where you were straight up trying to make DW the best park you could, all of those suggestions are, I'm sorry to say, terrible. Not in anyway good.

It's ok to have shit ideas that you think are good. I have an idea in my head to retheme motocoaster to the rocket clock from playschool. It's a woeful idea, but I still kinda think its really cool, get the music going and it'd be amazing!

Sonic, crash bandicoot, ty? All shit. Honestly. I know it's kind of an extension of ABC World but Bluey is the only thing that works from a 'What would be in your dream park be' and the more realistic 'how do you cost effectively keep the park afloat ahead of land parcel sell off and sale to private equity'

1 hour ago, joz said:

I'll be honest all this conversation has done is convince me that old computer game characters would be a terrible move for the park. In a world where you were straight up trying to make DW the best park you could, all of those suggestions are, I'm sorry to say, terrible. Not in anyway good.

It's ok to have shit ideas that you think are good. I have an idea in my head to retheme motocoaster to the rocket clock from playschool. It's a woeful idea, but I still kinda think its really cool, get the music going and it'd be amazing!

Sonic, crash bandicoot, ty? All shit. Honestly. I know it's kind of an extension of ABC World but Bluey is the only thing that works from a 'What would be in your dream park be' and the more realistic 'how do you cost effectively keep the park afloat ahead of land parcel sell off and sale to private equity'

2 quick things.

1) I agree, Sonic/Crash/TY/ any other game based IP that doesn't reach any further is terrible. Sonic is only becoming okay now with the movies and likely Paramount will cash in on that and expand the Sonic universe.

2) Rocket Clock from playschool? Really? and you're just going to leave Mr Squiggle all alone out in the cold? Its got everything, a rocket, a hero and Blackboard to play the baddie, AND hes already yellow!

Edit: Was about to say I'm aging myself with the Mr Squiggle comment, turns out it was on air for 40 years!

Edited by Naazon
  • Like 1

@Naazon good idea, welcome to the executive suite!

Purely for me it's because I like the rocket clock music better than I like the Mr. Squiggle theme.

>

Also if you call it 'Play school's rocket clock' you could play the theme at the start of the queue. The reason why that would be great is that the play school theme, as my younger friends would say, is dope af.

Honestly this whole thing is a nostalgia trip. Also I just rewatched Mr. Squiggle for this post, I only just at the ripe old age twigged why Mr. Squiggle always drew stuff upside down. 😂🙃

Edit: @Brad2912 they're both BBC, but also amazing nostalgia trips. Super Ted's intro/back story always seemed to raise waaaaay more questions than it answered.

I just rewatched and found myself just going: what? So? What? Who? Why? How? How? What? Why? Why? OMFG DID HE JUST RIP HIS OWN SKIN OFF!!?

Edited by joz
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, joz said:

Edit: @Brad2912 they're both BBC, but also amazing nostalgia trips. Super Ted's intro/back story always seemed to raise waaaaay more questions than it answered.

I just rewatched and found myself just going: what? So? What? Who? Why? How? How? What? Why? Why? OMFG DID HE JUST RIP HIS OWN SKIN OFF!!?

Thanks for posting that! I don’t think I’ve seen that in about 30 years Haha! Loved that show! And yeah, the superhero Teddy was inside a normal Teddy costume! Went over my head when I was a kid clearly!

is the Captain Planet IP available? Could tie in nicely with DW Wildlife. Every kid wants to be Planeteer! 

• Love it! 1

24 minutes ago, joz said:

Also if you call it 'Play school's rocket clock' you could play the theme at the start of the queue. The reason why that would be great is that the play school theme, as my younger friends would say, is dope af.

Honestly this whole thing is a nostalgia trip. Also I just rewatched Mr. Squiggle for this post, I only just at the ripe old age twigged why Mr. Squiggle always drew stuff upside down. 😂🙃

Yeah so, if its Mr Squiggle, you could have the queue lined with chalk boards. Hours of fun!

Also yeah, I read way too much about Mr Squiggle for a Monday night. Never occurred why he drew upside down but, it just makes so much sense!

Every time I see the words 'General Waste' written on a bin I'm always struck by how good a name that would be for a captain planet villan

Also don't think its ABC, but mulligrubs Halloween maze

https://youtu.be/2WW1-N9Q5KA

Edit: @Naazon with rocket clock you could do scenes from books dotted throughout the queue! Possum magic would be a good one, be just an empty tree. Actually on kids books, does everyone remember Jeannie Baker? Window and Where the Forest meets the Sea were huge books for me as a kid

Edited by joz

10 hours ago, joz said:

Bluey is the only thing that works

What you say is true - i can't see anything else working - but this feels short sighted. Bluey has 3 seasons spanning 5 years, which is a comparable (total) lifespan to many childrens animated series. Is bluey just beginning or is it nearing the end? It'd be a massive achievement for an Australian produced childrens animated series to go the distance, but it's risky - and isn't that why the discussion turned to video game characters?

Peppa Pig on the other hand has 365 episodes across 7 seasons spanning 16 years. At this stage the show is multi generational and has just gotten its first theme park. 

For mine, I wouldn't want to be forking out a bunch of money if I weren't confident the franchise had a few more years in it at least.

9 hours ago, Naazon said:

Was about to say I'm aging myself with the Mr Squiggle comment, turns out it was on air for 40 years!

Well, shit - let's just get Mr Doo-Bee from Romper Room out - retheme MDMC with giant flowers and you're the bees collecting the pollen to make honey?

8 hours ago, Naazon said:

Yeah so, if its Mr Squiggle, you could have the queue lined with chalk boards. Hours of fun!

MDMC's queue walls are already great writing tablets - no chalk required!

8 hours ago, joz said:

Actually on kids books, does everyone remember Jeannie Baker? Window and Where the Forest meets the Sea were huge books for me as a kid

All of this talk has been a great trip down memory lane (are you there god? it's me, Margaret), but I think that for most of us, the fact that we haven't thought about these in 

8 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

about 30 years

You're right, 

8 hours ago, joz said:

this whole thing is a nostalgia trip.

but

8 hours ago, joz said:

as my younger friends would say

11 hours ago, joz said:

It's ok to have shit ideas that you think are good

• Like 1

There is a 100% chance Bluey will still be relevant for a long time after they make new episodes. The reason for that being, it's a fantastic show. Like unironically good. You know it's good when the kids are watching it, then you're also watching it and 'omg I'm feeling an emotion from a show aimed at pre school age kids what in the hell?' The art of kids shows that are also quite enjoyable to watch and charming for adults has been lost over the years, Bluey does it perfectly.

It's also made locally, fits naturally as hell into a current land, and is stupidly popular. The merch you'd sell in the first year alone would be worth a signing a 10 year contract for. I don't think IPs have to be current to be good. If they are good they'll stand the test of time. I mean shit look at all of Dreamworks land, when was the last thing anything has been from those properties?

Also, unrelated, do them right and it doesn't matter how unfamiliar you are with the original. I went to Disneyland as a kid, and there was a heap of stuff I didn't realise was a TV show/Movie, just thought it was something original. I refuse to believe you couldn't achieve that level of quality with a Bluey presence.

Also Peppa Pig, despite its longevity, is a steaming pile of the worst kind of shit, and you should be actually ashamed of yourself for comparing the two and suggesting Peppa was in anyway superior.

• Like 2