Documenting the parks history

Mickazee

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have connections with the local council and was able to get a copy of the plans for the space probe...I'm in the process of moving at the moment, but if i can find them when i unpack I will gladly pass them on. and just a bit of info about the splashdown...interesting or not... it was built before construction was OKed by council... sneaky. When i was a kid i came home after a day at Aust. Wonderland and said 'Dad they have a new ride opening soon, it looks almost finished and he said 'gee they only submitted the plans for approval last week, it shouldn't even be started yet'...so i guess they gotaway with that one...too bad if council didn't approve it, they would have had to pull it down...though that type of stuff probably happens a lot...i don't know.

• 2 weeks later...
As far as I know, Demon has, at least once, stalled mid-boomerang, with guests on board.
I hate to be the one dragging up old threads, but I came across this one the other day. its not directly relevant to the discussion, but it shows it is possible... http://www.saferparks.org/database/AR_deta...s.asp?ID=909397

I never stated it was impossible just that it never happened at Wonderland while the ride was loaded. Hell I remember seeing one of those "When good times go bad" shows and there was a Boomerang coaster, I think it was in the states, and the train had stopped at the top of the tear drop loop while it was loaded. How the hell it stopped there is beyond me but it took several hours to get the people off as the train had to be secured and the fire brigade used cherry pickers to get the people down. There have been many incidents involving the Boomerang coaster type and the reason is that there is close to 50 of them around the world and being the most popular coaster in the world means that incidents are more likely to happen. I also noticed that the Wonderland History site still has that incorrect information on it. "The Bus is now leaving for Cherryburn, ACT"

The Demon was known to frequently break down with instances of it jamming on the second lift hill (requiring guests to be walked off the ride).

On one occasion the train released prematurely from the second lift hill causing it to come to a stop inside the boomerang section.

From what I've gathered, its been confirmed that The Demon hasn't stopped on the boomerang with passengers on board, but, it's still uncertain as to whether it has stopped on the boomerang during a test run etc. Thoughts?

It has, and has been mentioned somewhere on this site before... More than once I think... I only saw it once during my time from memory. (I'm getting old, it may have happened multiple times.) Demon got stuck on lift 2 on the Saturday night. After getting everyone off and during one of the test cycles (not sure which one but ultimately the last one of the evening :P ) it got stuck in the Boomerang. While maintenance were operating I'll add. Not one of the operators just so we're clear... I showed up for work the next morning and it was still there... It was still there for the 10:00 opening. Typical Wonderland; instead of working during the night to get it down, they left and it there and looked like ********s the next day. The operators were the ones who fielded the complaints from customers all day long and the questions as to why the Demon was stuck 'upside down' and did someone die on it. The ride opened at 3:30 that afternoon.

I hate to be the one dragging up old threads, but I came across this one the other day. its not directly relevant to the discussion, but it shows it is possible... http://www.saferparks.org/database/AR_deta...s.asp?ID=909397
After looking at this report on this site, I concluded that this incident occured in the section of track between the boomerang and the tear drop, not in the boomerang. This has occured at Wonderland before, (between the boomerang & teardraop) and I know for a fact, it has stopped in this position with guests on it, and they had to be evacuated from the ride via ladders. But it has NEVER EVER, been stuck in the boomerang with guests on it. (Daniel you can ask your old supervisor mate, whose name starts with the same letter that yours does) cauase he happened to be the superisor of that area during his first incarnation at the place when this incident happened.

Bloody Maintenence. I have said multiple times that Wonderlands Service was good generally. But the maint guys where aresholes. I think I have told everyone about my story with the maint guys.
Ahh Paul the maint guys were pretty good. Except for one particular old man, (whose name I shall not name) who was manager for quite quite some time and had a very very thick english accent and was definately an a#%hole

Wazza, i take "between the first two loops" to indicate the first inversion to the second inversion, which would be in the middle of the boomerang. I haven't gone back to re-read it but I think it talked of the fire department being required to extricate the riders... which i think would indicate them not being right way up. Im going to go and re read it... still unclear... im open to both versions i suppose...

I remember it getting stuck over there one day... A slut of a job getting it out... I ended up 'Guest Relating' for about 3 hours. I was the unloader. The operator shall remain anonymous :P (No it wasn't Bus before you ask.) Maybe it was you Wazza old son.... considering you won't identify yourself.... hehe... Although I believe you're an 'S' man. Lets not mention the shirt lifter starting with 'D'.... I have no intentions of speaking to him again anyway. Wouldn't trust him as far as I could kick the mongrel. Majority of maintenance were ok but like anywhere there were a few cowboys who had NFI.

From what I've gathered, its been confirmed that The Demon hasn't stopped on the boomerang with passengers on board, but, it's still uncertain as to whether it has stopped on the boomerang during a test run etc.
Have you read any of the posts since I first picked up that piece of incorrect information?
Bloody Maintenence. I have said multiple times that Wonderlands Service was good generally. But the maint guys where aresholes.
I want to hear this story. Just one question though, how much involvement did you have with them? Basically the only time the public saw them is when something has gone wrong and even then there was little if any contact between the two parties.
Except for one particular old man, (whose name I shall not name) who was manager for quite quite some time and had a very very thick english accent and was definately an a#%hole
If he is the one I think you are talking about he was Scottish not English. My memory is not what it used to so I am probably thinking of someone completely different. "The Bus is now leaving for Englishmans Gully, Tasmania"

That's what I thought too. When it was brought up, I modified the info removing 'with passengers on board'. Now it reads:

The Demon was known to frequently break down with instances of it jamming on the second lift hill (requiring guests to be walked off the ride). On one occasion the train released prematurely from the second lift hill causing it to come to a stop inside the boomerang section

If he is the one I think you are talking about he was Scottish not English. My memory is not what it used to so I am probably thinking of someone completely different.
I know you you are thining about Bussy, but nahh its not him. This person was probly a little bit before your time

ok paul well heres another vote for hearing the story about maintenance. its very rare that maintenance were in public areas. mostly they tried to come around the back way, and while they were in the stationhousemachine room, the ride was closed off so no guests were near them anyway... the only times i've seen maintenance in public areas are when they're heading to demon or probe, or if they were in the park on another call already and had to head up to HBL (which they still used the bush track behind dodgems for to avoid the crowds anyway, it was just faster to walk through the park///