Disneyland Melbourne...??

bigglesworth003

Just got this PM to me from a memeber on www.disneyforever.com From Screamscape-

Disney News - (11/26/04) Screamscape has recieved an unconfirmed report claiming that Disney is now looking into the idea of building in Australia again. A few years ago I recall that Disney had looked Down Under as one location in a short list of possible sites for their next international park before settling on Hong Kong (China) as the final location. With Hong Kong ready to open in 2005... perhaps they are revisiting a few of the previously runner-up sites once again in an attempt to pick their next target. Our source claims that they have been looking to the west of Melbourne in Victoria. Anyone know more?
Now, i know we've all heard these before but its been a while as far as i know, can only hope it pans out to somthing, but not holding my breath thats for sure! Plus melbourne would be great right close to me! :D :

Disney won't do something like this without huge incentives and tax breaks from Australian Governments, and for some reason Australian Governments have proven time and time again that they're not prepared to assist a large American theme park. Not just the countless setbacks they've had with Disney, but also Paramount. The Australian population could never sustain a Disney park. The Gold Coast parks don't even push a million domestic guests a year each. How would a Disney park, which needs in the area of 5-10 million guests a year to sustain itself, work in Australia? Asian tourists were the key 10+ years ago. You can't see that happening though with two Disneylands in Asia as of next year, and what looks to be a third on its way before the decade is out. I'd love to see a Disney park in Australia, but it's anything but realistic at this stage.

^ not sure why it fell through? goverment from what i heard i actually have a book with maps of the docklands and the parmount parks/studio layout and rides and computer images of the proposed look of the park. the center of the themepark area was the volcano coaster (link to pic of it at Paramounts Kings domain - http://www.rcdb.com/installationgallery474...4.htm?Picture=1 ) The book also had arial views of the entire docklands and the complete layout of the park. was ment to be finished by 2004. got it from docklands office before any of the docklands were built for a school project years ago!

We could have a volcano: the blast coaster clone????? That would have been so cool, I remeber on a promo video they showed on today tonight there was also going to be a gyro drop. Well, at least there is proof that a prk in melbourne is viable if someone like Paramount were planning it. do you have a scanner or acess to one, Id be interested in seeing a plan for how the park could have been.

Viacom had to bid for the land with a few other developers, and ended up losing to film studios project (which is currently running to massive losses). From memory, the park was going to have a Star Trek simulator, a Top Gun powered launch coaster, and a massive Nickeleodeon land. The landmark of the park was going to be a large ferris wheel with the Paramount logo on each side which would light up during the night. Reasons for the park not winning the bid? There were talks that the government of the day gave preferential treatment in the bidding process. The government wern't going to get any more money once from customers/Viacom once the park opened. Also, many developers who were planning hi-rise apartments in the area felt that the park could jeopardise their own interests. The government went with the studios, they were built about 12 months later then originally planned, and sit dormant (except for that Delta film that they are making there).

I wondered why they bothered building film studios on prime land anyway. The should leave centrally located land like that for places everyone can enjoy. The film studios should be out in the suburbs. In related melbourne theme park news that was in the herald sun, the showground redevelopment is going ahead and will feature a huge big top for concerts and for use as a show pavvilion, 19 out of 27ha will be left as showgrounds, the rest will be used for something else in a 25 year lease. A theme park is a posssiblity but they are deciding the use over the next 3 years.