Demon Removal

Bussy

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to tell you that they are going to take a large wrecking ball to it or put a couple of bulldozers through the middle but unfortunately it's not that simple. They have to be very careful pulling it down and it will probably take a few weeks. "The Bus is now leaving for Zeewijk Wreck, Western Australia"

I think it was jazzland or something in the states had a big old coaster, that everyone in the surrounding area tried and petitioned to save for years, with posters, t-shirts and the like, and eventually, they demolished it. it was a smallish coaster like a wild mouse or something, traditional wooden coaster, and they brought it down with a simple bulldozer...

Nah i dunno about that bussy probaby wouldnt take all that long to knock it down. I dare say a lot of the lower sections will just be run thru with a bulldozer. Its only the higher sections that cause a problem. id say theyd just go round and chainsaw thru a number of the supports at ground level and knock it over with a crane or something like that...i mean its not a big building or anything, and has relatively little structure compared to a lot of things.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, Was running across the Harbour Bridge this afternoon, and noticed a large bright orange ship going out to sea, so I stood and watched the massive cargo ship go under the bridge and I couldn't believe it..on the deck on the cargo ship what looked like to be the demon all layed out across the front of the ship. It was such an awesome and sad sight!..I wish I had a camera with me!! BON VOYAGE DEMON! :)

the demon track was more of a gloss wasn't it? but yes, how many steel rollercoasters, painted black have been torn down to be transported overseas recently? It seems a little strange, but i suppose a lot of the elements would be difficult to fit inside a shipping container, so i suppose its possible...

There were atleast two shipping containers used for the station, train and other bits. The larger sections of track were just tied to open flat rack on the back of a truck trailer, so it's very possible that what SeanM saw was The Demon. The size of the pieces were about the size of a quarter of the full loop. And as AlexB said, what other black roller coasters in Sydney are there to get shipped out. For that matter what else would even resemble a roller coaster track?

It will be dismantled rather than demolished QUACK.
Dismantled for what reason??? So we dont wreck the precious 20year old wooden beams? Itd take months to pull something like that apart pice by piece. there would be tens of thousands of beams and many times more then that nuts and bolts to undo. And for what reason at the end of it? Its not getting re-located, or going to be reused in any shape or form as a coaster. All this for something thats only going to be sold as scrap timber = a complete waste of time. Take thunderbolt for example. they just ripped it down cos it was only to be sold off as scrap metal. they didnt bother carefully pulling it apart piece by piece, neither will they in this case with BB

hate to break it to you Dr Teeth, but Thunderbolt was ripped apart piece by piece. besides, it is a steel coaster, not a woodie. you put a wrecking ball or a bulldozer through that structure and you are gunna have a lot of wood flying every which way, not to mention a big a$$ mess when you're finished. Also, the structure, while capable of free standing, is held in place by two very large sets of support cables, concreted and anchored to the ground. if these were disconnected, without careful dismantling, the ride could possibly topple over onto people standing nearby. leave them connected and bulldoze it, and you're going to have 10 odd metre long cables whipping around in every direction. all in all not a good idea. I dont think they will bother to take out every bolt and nail, but rather remove segments small enough to be manhandled out of the way. most likely would be to remove all of the track rails, and then chainsaw it out, section by section, in manageable pieces that could be loaded, in an ORDERLY fashion onto a truck for dumping. Lets not forget the wood, however old, is treated with arsenic, and sending splinters flying off everywhere is not in the interests of health. No. the majority of the demolition will be done by removing it piece by piece.

Alex i would suggest you read my previous post #81 in this thread. Of course your not gunna run a dozer thru a section where there is 20odd mtr of structure above you...DUH!?!?!?!?!! And of course it must be done in a safe manner, therefore not just letting it fall over. Any idiot would know thats not safe! All i said was that its possible that they could pull it over in a contoled way with the use of a crane. Exactly the same way large trees are pulled down between buildings. Treated timber dosent pose any threat to humans unless you were to eat it. High in fibre maybe but id still stick to weet-bix. The only other threat threated timber has woud be if you dumped it in a creek or river. Obviously thats not going to happen as it will be all cleared up and either taken to the tip or sold as 2nd hand building material. And how hard honestly do you think it would be for a demolition crew to clean up after themselves...TAke for example when they buldoze a house or building...its all scooped up into dump trucks off the ground.

Burining it is fine as long as you dont breathe the smoke....Jeez get it right!! HAHA nah just jokin...yeah your right treated stuff definatly not something you want to burn. I have heard a rumour that apparently BB was sprayed with some sort of fire proofing...not sure if thats right or not, maybe wonderbus knows

Also, the structure, while capable of free standing, is held in place by two very large sets of support cables, concreted and anchored to the ground. if these were disconnected, without careful dismantling, the ride could possibly topple over onto people standing nearby. leave them connected and bulldoze it, and you're going to have 10 odd metre long cables whipping around in   No. the majority of the demolition will be done by removing it piece by piece.
Not that I am any way in favour of ripping it down, but just so you know how it would be done if it ever happened: Cherry pickers, Elevated Work Platforms and Chainsaws. ZordMaker.

Really steve? I would have thought they would start at the bottom and remove it bit by bit up to the top and then remove the track. Talk about stating the bloody obvious. It will be removed as Alex and Zordy have said, carefully with cranes, scissor lifts and chainsaws. The arsenic in the treated timber can be fatal to people if it is used for a BBQ, and yes it has happened, at least one person died and several were badly poisoned back in the 70's and 80's. I really have to stop agreeing with Alex, but now I’m agreeing with Zordy too "The Bus is now leaving for Bloody Bridge, Norfolk Island"

• 3 weeks later...
http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/inde...42024170320.xml "Visionland will get a $5 million triple-loop steel roller coaster at its Magic Adventure amusement park next year as the park's operators hope to build on the record-setting attendance of 2004. Visionland owners Southland Entertainment Group purchased the 1,000-foot long coaster from a park in Australia and will be installing it in the coming weeks on the hillside between the Rampage wooden roller coaster and the Space Shot tower drop ride. " more info on link

Really steve?  I would have thought they would start at the bottom and remove it bit by bit up to the top and then remove the track.  Talk about stating the bloody obvious. It will be removed as Alex and Zordy have said, carefully with cranes, scissor lifts and chainsaws. I really have to stop agreeing with Alex, but now I’m agreeing with Zordy too
LMFAO! I only just came across this quote bus. it does seem like we're agreeing more and more these days. nothing wrong with that... just means that we're both right! (and god you're a sarcastic bastard)