The Good, The bad and the Dreamworld

joz

Took a trip down to Dreamworld today. Just thought I'd leave a few points behind if its of any interest: * Main Street is looking much better with the new splash of paint. A bit on the bright side, but still definitely good too see. * Two person op on Cyclone all day, and both sides of Giant Drop working all day. Capacity up a touch, but still sucks. * Lots of ex- WVTP staff. What's the go with all the WVTP staff at Dreamworld and all the ex Dreamworld staff at the WVTPs? * Saw the Tiger Island presentation for the first time today. Well done Dreamworld. The park is also adding a huge shade cover over the viewing area, which is IMHO a very welcome move. Two thumbs up from me. * The fire house game is still undergoing renovations. * Wipeout is still closed (shock horror I know since the parks website lists it as being closed). The ride seems to have mostly been put back together, with work going on in the (empty) pool. Any idea why its opening has been delayed? * Staff were mostly friendly, talkative and happy to help. Special mention to Alan (I think?) in the Kakadu Cafe and the guys doing the dart game in Gold Rush Country. Hope this has been enlightening :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys went to dreamworld today, wipeout is up and running, nice and quiet (apart from its usual high pitch from the motors, but no clunking or banging) Also they have added 4 48cm LCD screens in the cyclone queue area, and also there is one that i saw in the entrance to TOT, im guessing there is more but didnt go in the queue of TOT. The claw was a one ride wait ever go, if not straight on. Staff wise, the rides were manned pretty good, due to training of the xmas casuals.

I mean, why would Dreamworld buy LCD Tv's, and have them off?
Thats the way it normally works. Its a hit and miss thing if the current stuff in the queue is turned on. To me its been a bit of a mystery as to why Dreawmorld has thousands of dollers of audio visual equiptment in the queues (Cyclone particually) when it rarely gets used. Though on my last visit I couldn't help but notice the radio Dreamworld thing with music playing in Cyclones queue as well as Claws. Maybe they're going to play the music film clips like at Wet 'n' Wild? Keep us posted anyway, sounds very interesting in a low key sort of way.

It's all part of Dreamworld's latest efforts to make the queues more bearable. It's part of the first phase of a park-wide makeover that's responsible for the new shade at Tiger Island and refitted food & beverage places. Evidently, rather than fixing a problem, it's easier to just gloss over it. Make the queues a cheap attraction of their own and no one can complain, right?

The only reason that the shark or "fluffy" as he as known is out of the pool is they're still working on Wipeout. Why would they keep in Fluffy while they do construction? Move the booms around in water? That would spell corrosion given the overkill amount of chlorine in the Wipeout pool. Okay, how about some photos from last wednesday? Yes, yes, I've been holding out, but hey, I've had other things to do damnit, so here they are. A couple of new and one particularly bad thing has happened also. Good - the long awaited work in market place has started and is certainly, errrr.... demolished Bad - they are at the tot again. It's good they replaced all those UV fluro's in the top floor of the tot but they replaced them with normal fluros!!!!! Trust Dreamworld to get rid of the only good thing about the queue themeing. Oh, and the new lcd screens inside the tot queue line, from memory are sharp 17 inch lcds, and there is three of them, one inside the skull, one at the corner where the skull used to be, and one where the gate is. Enjoy the photos! :D

From what I know in the electrical area, the type of cable that transmits from camera to the splitters and then into the lcd tv's require a certain type of power "re-applier" that keeps the signal from being lost every "x" amount of metres. It's possibly that the electrical fields, or the weight or pressure from the claw or other sorrounding fields could be disrupting the signal. This is what has been happening recently. Basically it'll flicker on and off, or off entirely. I don't know how everybody seems to be so happy about these new lcd screens. They have several million to spend on new updates, then yet, they chose to put lcd screens in, whereas they could re-do the themeing to make it twice as good as some crappy show on tv where the themeing would a whole lot better. There are holes in the foam in the tot, but hey, people won't notice if there's some dodgy crap on a bunch of televisions huh? Here are some photos of the themeing in pieces everywhere.