Dreamworld Number 1! Again

T-bone

WE'RE NUMBER 1!!! DREAMWORLD CROWNED QUEENSLAND'S TOP TOURIST ATTRACTION Oh shucks! We've done it again. The highly respected judges for the Queensland Tourism Awards have named Dreamworld as the state's number one Tourist Attraction for 2004. For the third year in a row, the park also took out the Tourism Product Marketing award, gaining automatic entry into the Hall of Fame. With a humble blush, we were delighted to accept the awards with a big thank you to all our staff who work tirelessly to deliver an unforgettable Dreamworld experience for our guests every day. Thanks also to all our guests, suppliers, community contacts and corporate partners for all your support and contribution to our ongoing success. Taken directly from Dreamworlds website. www.dreamworld.com.au

So how big was the bribe Dreamworld? I can see a turn around in the park, as in, themeing in and around main street specifically has been updated quite a bit, but personally no-where near a-grade yet. How can you get an award when you have about eleven bottles of water in the middle of the mine ride queue line? And what about the literally "abandoned" themeing on most major rides? Tower of Terror's significant speed cap? How about the Giant Drop's queue time? I'm sure the judges had V.I.P. passes no doubt. Still, I just don't get it. I do enjoy Dreamworld, and support fully, but there's no way it is a high quality "theme" park. Yet.

Slick, I dont think they judge the award on how fast a ride goes or the waiting time for a ride etc.
Now did I directly say "They don't deserve the award because the Tower Of Terror doesn't go the full way up?" No. What I did say though is that I find that do many little problems everywhere add up. What part of the general public wants to wait for more than an hour off-peak for their favourite ride? How about waiting in a filthy environment? And then have a half working ride after all that? This general publican says "certianly not me." :D

There are usually three main ways of deciding these awards. 1. A vote by the other businesses in the area. A survey is sent out asking them to vote for various categories. 2. Survey the public, either by phone or person-to-person interviews. 3. A panel of 'experts' who look at various different criteria and which one meets them best. "The Bus is now leaving for Mount Critic Yard, South Australia"

The list for the tourism awards judges can be found here as well as a full list of winners here. Dreamworld deserve the credit, after all, if you check the previous winners on the second link provided you can see they've been nominated best major attraction for the past 4 years (the only facility to be acheive this). Really, they've been building up for this since 2001 with the addition of Nick Central, the Claw and general park improvements. Dreamworld is also easily the best when it comes to publicity and promotions (think Big Brother, nude claw ride and a new ad every couple of months), and hasn't been beaten since 2001. Be interesting to see who wins that one next year as Dreamworld are ineligble from winning, due to their "Publicity and Promotions hall of fame" status.

The list for the tourism awards judges can be found here as well as a full list of winners here. Dreamworld deserve the credit, after all, if you check the previous winners on the second link provided you can see they've been nominated best major attraction for the past 4 years (the only facility to be acheive this). Really, they've been building up for this since 2001 with the addition of Nick Central, the Claw and general park improvements. Dreamworld is also easily the best when it comes to publicity and promotions (think Big Brother, nude claw ride and a new ad every couple of months), and hasn't been beaten since 2001. Be interesting to see who wins that one next year as Dreamworld are ineligble from winning, due to their "Publicity and Promotions hall of fame" status.

Hall of fame status is given to a facility that wins the same category 3 years in a row. Dreamworld has won the publicity and promotions award for the past 3 years, and is such in the hall of fame. My understanding is that Dreamworld are now ineligible to win the publicity and promotions award for the next 2 years. You can win back to back titles. Aussie Zoo actually won best major attraction in 2002, 2003, and had it won last night it would have entered the hall of fame.

• 2 weeks later...
My Advice to You.............Go live near Six Flags Magic Mountain..........and..............get your self a season pass
The only amusement park I visited in my life was Gardaland in Italy (This is my nearest amusement park) and it's smaller than DW (I think), it has only 2 rollercoasters, but it's still popular and I like to visit it. mappa2003.jpg DW is bigger than gardaland but I think it could be bigger.