S.A parks?

Gazza

Just wondering, has anyone been to Dazzeland or Magic Mountain in Adelaide, both parks are now defunct, but I used to live there so i got the chance to visit both. Dazzeland was in the Myer Centre and occupied an entire floor (I think a similar thing was in Brisbane) It had a largish indoor playground, dodgems, a helicotper ride, an airplane ride, indoor mini golf, and also a Zamperla Powered musical coaster called Jazz Junction that was built high above the escalators and shopping areas below. Magic Mountain was on the beach at Glenelg, it was basically just a huge concrete mountain (similar to what blue lagoon has) It had four waterslides that twisted and turned through the mountain and its tunnels. But the inside of the mountain had a few other attractions, like a restored carousel, a cycle monrail, mini golf and bumper boats. Both parks were pretty nice. For those of you who have been to either of the two, what did you think? Pics of Magic Mountain http://www.abc.net.au/adelaide/stories/s1156350.htm http://www.abc.net.au/adelaide/stories/s1156154.htm Pics of Dazzeland http://www.rcdb.com/ig2313.htm?picture=1

i remember the thrill of magic mountain and dazzeland as a kid. Jazz Junction was my first rollercoaster experiance... it was a bit scay as a kid looking down those 6 or 7 odd floors all the way down to the bottom of the myer centre. Another of my favourite rides was the train that went around the area too it had a tunnel and everything. Also Dazzeland didnt just have one floor it had two with the top floor having most of the big rides and the bottom floor was full of arcade machines. I also remember the musical fountains they had up there too. Magic Mountain was no where near as nice as dazzeland with not so well themed rides and its main drawcards were the mini golf, water slides and acrade machines. Once dazzeland had closed down Magic Mountain got some of the themeing from it.. some of the stuff included rabbits poping out of hats that seemed to come out off the roof... they had red glowing eyes.... another bit of themeing that was moved over to the mountain was the guy riding the fish bike that used to hang from the roof of dazzeland... which at magic mountain became a wizard with a dodgy beared and a pointy hat. S.A still has few other parks open such as Puzzle Park at Murray Bridge and Green Hills Adventure Park at Victor Harbour. Also I belive that the rollercoaster that used to be at Adelaides Luna Park was moved to the Sydney or Melbourne Luna Park. But iam not sure about this.

Was that Metropolis at LPM by any chance?
nope it aint metroplis it was a wood coaster. Iam fairly sure that it was the wooden big dipper that used to be at Luna Park Sydney. yep iam sure that it was the big dipper as Luna Park Adelaide was reloacated to to the Sydney site where it is now... It was relocated because: "Despite several successful seasons, the Glenelg park was forced to close because of friction with the local residents and a local council that resisted anychanges or expansion of the Park." http://www.lunaparksydney.com/visitor_info...ark_history.pdf wow does this sound very familar or what!! I also found some info on the Adelaide Myer Centre... http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/6897/myercent.html here are some quotes: "Commencing a whistle stop tour from the Rundle Street level of the centre, there are four levels for shopping and above that, 'Dazzeland', a fully themed entertainment park set on the top two levels . Below is the terrace level, which is mainly eating establishments with some service and speciality shops. Below that there are four levels of underground carparking, which provide quick and easy, albeit expensive, automobile access to the Myer Centre, also the Myer department store, via lifts. The Myer Centre is serviced by two pairs of glass covered lifts which connect all levels staffed by Information Officers there to help you with any questions regarding directions to shops and services, and four pairs of moving stairways which also services all levels, but so designed as to shepherd their patrons past many shops to reach connecting stairways, and effectively break horizontal space and add interest." "This was clearly in evidence at the Myer Centre, starting at the London Tavern in the basement, throughout to Dazzeland at the top levels. High speed glass lifts sweep the visitors up to the upper levels decorated with mobiles, balloons, plastic moons paper birds and a rider on a fish. The vista experienced is of a whirligig of time space and noise and fantasy designed to disorientate The visitor is then whisked down to the basement. To find the way out can be notoriously difficult. Exits in the Myer Centre are obscure and not easy to find, this results from the goal of such centres to trap the consumer in a universe of consumption." The other bits of the article mainly concentrate on the design of the myer centre. Now for my opinion: As you can see in the past the Myer Centre was quite a special place. But in recent years Dazzeland was replaced with a Fitness Centre... the whole inside centre was repainted from nice greens, blues and yellows to a range of white colours also plastic sails where put inbetween the levels... the centre nolonger had its amazing views of the floors below. The myer centre is now just a normal inner city shopping centre... it is no longer themed.. you can no longer look up too see kids screaming and having fun as they enjoy the special place that was dazzeland.

Is the Myer Centre still operated by Coles Myer today? And what did go into the old Dazzleland area? More Shops? And does anyone out there know where the roller-coaster went to? Thank you.
Dont Know if Myer still own the joint, however it is still called the Myer Centre. I think a Fernwood Gym went into the area formerly occupied by Dazzleland. And as far as the Coaster goes (which, if I remember correctly, it didnt go often) I think it was sold at auction to a Victorian who was going to put it inside his home!!! On a similar subject does anyone remember the "Cox Foys" roof top funfair on top of the building now called the Renaissance (sp?) Centre. Opposite the Richmond Hotel. Many fun hours to be had during school holidays in the early 70s there. Also not forgetting the Semaphore and Henly and Grange beachfront "fun parks". There endeth my first post! :P

Isn't there a Myer Centre in Brisbane somewhere? Didn't the one at Brisbane have a park connected to it aswell? Talking about indoor amuesment parks, Has anyone been to Rowans Fun Land in Ulladulla? It's pretty good for it's age, it has a sweet cha-cha, Dodgems, and some other stuff which i can't really remember, but it has alot of games there.

Funland is situated just up from Ulladulla Harbour. There is a great variety of activities for all the family including Dodgem cars, Sizzler (Cha Cha) ride, Air hickey, Slot cars, video games and many ticket redemption games. Tea, coffee, soft drinks and a wide range of souvenirs are available.
www.rowens.com.au.

The Brisbane Myer Centre's top floor was originally home to "Tops". It had a Zamperla powered coaster called the Dragon Coaster or a variation on that name, a swinging ship (now seen at Aussie World), a Ferris Wheel and a few other attractions. It's now a cinema complex, with the only remains of Tops being the small arcade bearing the same name.

So, that's where Aussie World got their Swinging ship from. When did the Brisbane one close? And are their any remains from the place (Brisbane & Adelaide) like supports, or anything that reminds you of the place?
I dont think there is much left from the Adelaide one as they have repainted the whole inside of the building, but last time i went to one of the upper floors just outside of myer was a dazzeland themed water fountain with instruments spurting out water but that was a couple of years ago so that might be gone now too.

I go to the Adelaide Myer Centre probaly once a fortnight, and on the top shopping floor where operating shops are there is no dazzleland fountain and the esculators have a gate around them where only Gym members can enter. If you look up at floor 6 from floor 4 you can still see Dazzleland Cafe and Dazzleland Arcade

I go to the Adelaide Myer Centre probaly once a fortnight, and on the top shopping floor where operating shops are there is no dazzleland fountain and the esculators have a gate around them where only Gym members can enter. If you look up at floor 6 from floor 4 you can still see Dazzleland Cafe and Dazzleland Arcade signs and scenery

So, that's where Aussie World got their Swinging ship from. When did the Brisbane one close? And are their any remains from the place (Brisbane & Adelaide) like supports, or anything that reminds you of the place?
I was there last night (Friday) and looked up at the columns that support the floors and you can still see the large "clamps" (for want of a better word) that supported the rails, around the tops of these columns. Didnt go any higher up to see what was left on the upper floors though.