Sydney's Newest Theme Park

Jaggie

I was reading the Daily Telegraph Today and came across this... He spies with his little eye By IAN LOVETT December 15, 2004 PATRICK de Saint Simon's the name, spying's the game. Unnoticed among the tourists flocking to Sydney, the mild-mannered Frenchman is on a mission – to investigate Sydney's suitability as the next site for Spyland. So far there are only two Spylands, one in France the other in Dubai. Both are in their early stages of development. However, if Mr de Saint Simon has his way, one day they will be common as Disneylands. "Sydney would be an ideal third location for the next Spyland," Mr de Saint Simon said, though he confessed he had yet to check out Wonderland. So what is Spyland? In hushed tones, Spyland project manager de Saint Simon let me in on the secret. "Spylands is a theme park telling the worldwide history of spies and the secret service. It is the brainchild of former secret service agents who wanted to build a museum to tell the stories of their comrades and predecessors," he said. That was eight years ago, and since them "we have developed the idea into an intereactive theme park where people actually learn about secret agent real actions across the world and their role in major world events from the reign of King Louis XIV to the present". Like all theme parks, Spylands also have the usual array of rides and themed restaurants. Asked if Sydney's Spyland would have a replay of the sinking of Greenpeace's Rainbow Warrior in Auckland Harbour by the French secret service, Mr de Saint Simon, responded with a diplomatic no comment. The Frenchman is also here to put the bite on business for money to finance Spyland http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.js...storyid=2384282 What do we all think??

an interesting article, but considerably more believeable if it were to come from SMH than Telecrap. at present, he has no site in mind, apparently no financial backing, and a very obscure concept at best. i'll get excited when he has property, money, and a more concrete idea of exactly what he plans to build. the concept itself doesnt give over much information as to what kind of attractions they will have. it sounds more like an educational walk-through adventure, such as old sydney town or the like, rather than a thrill destination. im not going to hold my breath on this, but perhaps my kids will go with their friends as teenagers to the opening day... we'll see what becomes of it, if anything. >>>Sidenote: Richard, you better redesign the forums to allow room for a Spyland subtopic... lmao.

I saw the spyland park on RCDB, and it have to admit it looks pretty cool, at the french one they had a motorbike coaster planned for it and also a caprio i flyer ride (like that perydactly ride at IOA), and if this proposed one had one then that alone would be worth it. By the sounds of it, it will have good theming, and i hope it goes ahead. http://www.spyland.net/

Try the website i posted, its not in english, but you should be able to work it out. Personally i think they should try more of these parks in europe where these events happened and where interest would be higher, rather than in Austraila, where i think it could fail. But hey, a possible new park, im not complaining.

I was just thinking, and the idea of a theme park based on spies sounds terrible. You need the actual theme park as something generic; like Dreamworld, and then divided it into themed sections, or something that has a broad range of ideas associated with it; like Movieworld or Legoland. But Spyland just sounds odd. Too subjective to have any variety in rides or attractions.

I think a Spy themed park would be good.  You could have CIA Land, MI6 Land, KGB Land, Aman Land, DGSE Land, Kaitsepolitseiamet Land and ASIO Land. There are plenty to choose from so the park could keep expanding. "The Bus is now leaving for Spy NSW"
Would ASIO Land be the area with all the kiddy rides in it? :D