Warner Village spends big bucks

Ian

The press release also features Seaworld Wet n Wild and a brand new Wet N Wild yes I said a 2nd one. the courier mail A NEW Wet'n'Wild complex is planned for the Sunshine Coast as part of a huge theme park expansion in southeast Queensland. Warner Village Theme Parks are considering several freehold sites between Caloundra and Noosa, but offer no more details about a likely site. Chief executive John Menzies said yesterday that the park, valued at about $50 million, would be smaller than the Wet'n'Wild on the Gold Coast. The company hopes to have a decision by the middle of next year and would then face a two-year cycle of design, approval and construction before opening. Warner Village, one of Australia's biggest theme park operators, also plans to spend $20 million expanding its Wet'n'Wild site on the Gold Coast during the next three years. Mr Menzies said work had begun to double the size of a children's aquatic playground and the Mammoth Falls attraction by September 2005. The upgrades will include climbing towers, water cannons, slides and buckets which tip water. "We're getting enormous numbers of people with small children. We just need to expand it and put in more state-of-the-art interactive attractions to keep people coming through the gate," Mr Menzies said. The company, a joint venture between Warner Brothers studios and entertainment group Village Roadshow, intends to commit a further $22 million to build an Australian Outback Spectacular attraction on vacant land between Wet'n'Wild and Movie World. A 1000-seat arena will be completed by this time next year to present a musical show featuring special effects and stockmen with horses, cattle and other animals. Warner Village expects to spend a further $12 million to develop a new Superman ride at Movie World and another $2 million expanding its water park at Sea World on the Gold Coast. "We've got a massive program. We're always building something new and 2005 is going to be larger than most," Mr Menzies said. He said attendance had grown by between 5 per cent and 10 per cent a year in the past decade. ------------------------------------------------------------- Rabid's thoughts: Xcellerator and Storm Runner cost 12 million USD to build so we should get a good rocket like the 2 above as its alot cheaper to constructed rides down under as has been shown in the past with Giant Drop and Tower of Terror at Dreamworld. A second Wet N Wild park great idea as water parks are popular here, and this state (Queensland is hot year round). And finally is this the Boom time for Gold Coast theme parks I guess the next 3 years will answer this.

Now, this is what I have been hoping for, the new WnW sounds great, and I will definitley be visiting it. WooHoo, a rocket coaster, finally, a park down here is buying up in the latest technology, I cant wait, please let it have inversions. SWs water park expansion, now theres a bolt from the blue, Id thought they had forgotten about that place. As for WnW, I like the water playground idea, those big tipping buckets are so cool, as for mammoth falls, if they are expanding it we could see a tornado slide like at SFHH. Could this be the start of a theme park war?? I hope so.

Isnt it funny how the ride we are most looking foward to is only a small proportion of the total $102 million spending. Can you please give us some hints on the layout rabid. It gonna have to be good, its number 8 in the line of rocket coasters, so i think they would have had to have fine tuned it to perfection by now, cant wait.

I've merged the two topics we had on this - rabid beat me by 20 minutes with posting this news. :) Onto this new ride, I for one am a little worried with what they can do with $12 million. That's an even smaller budget than Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster, and that was a fraction of what we can expect this to be in terms of ride technology. I just hope that's an early estimate or is for the ride system alone, because otherwise they're not leaving much room at all to impress - either with the actual ride or the theming.

Oh happy days. This is all good news. Paul Hollibone - why did you say you won't be going to Movie World? Is a brand new multi million dollar coaster not your thing? Would you prefer to stick to your beloved under $100,000 2nd hand 1970's carnival rides? Or is it because you can't actually get up to Movie World? I'm hoping it's the latter. I agree that $12 million sounds waaay too cheap for something amazing. But I'll be glad to see both MW and WnW get some much needed attention next year

Its tuesday night am I really drunk I will answer when im normal  because I could say it has fitteen(sp) loops and some one may beleve me   :D   PS I won a six pack of beer at a triva night tonight
What the hell you doing on the internet then, You should be out at a night club get some chicks :D

well the rumour i heard a two weeks back was a rocket coaster, but i hardly think 12 mill will get one.
I think its possible, Accelerators are selling quick, so the price should drop, also, steel ect is cheaper here so that can reduce the cost a bit. I think we will get an average sized coaster, no higher than 50m. I cant imagine much themeing, it will probably be over a field of gravel like LW, with some average themeing around the station, i mean, just how can you theme a superman ride? Kanonen at Liesberg is being built at a cost of 50,000,000 SEK, this is equivalent to 9,699,175 AUD, i think around 2.3 million dollars to spend more and the fact that Aussie steel is cheaper than Swedish steel could make a difference, and we will end up with a nice ride.

Yeah guys Xcellerator AND storm runner were 12 million. Plus I dont know if they will be using that money on the theme side as they will be using the movie magic buildings as the inside part of the ride, remember they are a film studio so they probably will get the theme from next door or hollywood for free.