Movie World in HOT water

Richard

On the front page of the Courier Mail today was an interesting article regarding some measures that Village has taken as a result of not keeping ahead of the market. Essentially, they're now 'rationing the rides', much like what Wet'n'Wild will do during the coldest, wettest days of winter. I've been saying for a few weeks now, this is all because Warner Village haven't been able to keep up with a pretty obvious trend, and have gone against what you'd have thought were pretty obvious instincts, and actually shifted their focus to international markets in pretty dodgy times. And well, it's pretty obvious that they've just dug themselves into a hole, and detonated some TNT while down there. Look at Dreamworld. They've gone the other way - the right way, and they're certainly not in the same position as Movie World. I sure as hell won't be going to Movie World while such a programme is running. And who knows, maybe I won't go back for quite some time even after they return to normal. Cutting staff and costs is not the way to go when you've got a huge and easy local market who'd gladly visit the park if attendance wasn't so outrageously high.

the cutbacks you talk about rich, are happening at all 3 parks, and if you turn on the tv recently you would notice a thing call SARS and terror in the world. Australia international market is down 58% this year but the domestic is up. movieworld is doing attendance of around 2000 - 2300 a day at the moment, problem is domestic people dont spend on stuff like retail and tend to bring there only lunch. and movieworld still has the highest attendance in the week of all parks. the rides that close at different times are the least popular ones as well I might add.

I'll accept SARS as a decent enough reason, but the war is a pretty weak excuse that many many industries are trying to use. Let's face it - it doesn't affect us, nor would it affect our theme parks. Also, Village Roadshow are again withholding dividend payments to try and let themselves cope. Some of the major shareholders aren't terribly happy either. The company isn't faring too well at the moment. You're quite right, domestic guests won't spend much, especially when they can get the same things for usually half the price elsewhere. Maybe, just maybe, if promotions were started where people could get in with discounts, and they had vouchers for cheaper food and/or merchandise, then they might be doing a lot better than they are. I guess it seems that getting their Outback Adventure up and running is highest priority for them. Which'll do a whole lot of good with no international market at the moment.

Sorry Richo but I have to disagree, the war did have a bad effect on the tourist industry. When you think about were the war was, and the history of this countries extremists bombing of planes, it would stop a lot of ppl from flying anywere if at all. The latest bombings overseas highlight this point, even though they are not on aircraft locations, they are targeted against westerners. It may only last for a short time but it does effect the industries that rely on tourists and will for a short while longer. But this is just my opion.

While its true that all the parks on the Gold Coast have been affected, it's probably fair to say that no park has reacted in such a drastic way as Movieworld has. I think that Movieworld have been very brave making such a risky move. Personally, I think if cuts have to be made, I'd rather ride rotations rather then taking the "Dreamworld approach" and just having one person operating each ride with huge wait times (Imagine 1 person working on Lethal Weapon).

Dreamworld's touch on their web site....... "Dreamworld Powers On!" - All rides and attractions at Dreamworld are fully operational, except the Blue Lagoon water park which is routinely closed for winter. With Big Brother in full swing, Dreamworld is a 2 day experience. 2nd Day Passes are only $10! Is this just ensuring that the public knows they're not affected by the ride rotation changes or are they getting a bit dirty in the marketing dept?

I'm guessing it's a bit of both. It is quite common for people to mistake Dreamworld as one of the "Worlds", so it'd be easy to think that Dreamworld was under the same scheme. And when your competitor gets a front page mention (and I don't think any news is good news), this is certainly a good way to make your park immediately look like the better option to potential guests.

From today "thursday 22nd" MW is back to all rides and attractions open from 10am to 5pm. The ride roatation was a test and after 2 weeks operations have decided the old way was better. As for dreamworld any business competes thats natural but Warner Village theme parks and Dreamworld still have a good relationship on a business level. Because at any emplyee awards meeting that we have ever 3 months Steve Peet always mention what our 3 parks plus Dreamworld have coming up. Because they beleve any tourist coming for a week or 2 are likely to do MW, DW and SW so why not promote the coast. Its the same with the movies Matrix made by Warner Bros filmed in FOX studios Sydney. Peter Pan made by Universal filmed at Warner Bros studios Gold Coast This is the great thing that I like about Australia you wouldnt see this in other countries, so its great that Australians see that Australia comes 1st. I hope all the above has clear up some info :)

Good to hear that they're back to normal. The theme parks here run much the same as the four major banks in Australia. They compete, but they do all get down "in secret", and get standardised entrance prices, and know that if one park of the three upped ticket price, they'd in the long run hurt themselves, for a little added profit in the short run. The Village Warner studios have seen many different production companies through their doors, and that can be clearly seen at: http://www.movieworldstudios.com.au/previo...ous_clients.htm. I guess it all bubbles down to costs - its a well known fact that you'll get world-class facilities for a fraction of the cost of filming in Hollywood etc. There was a clear-cut reason that The Matrix was shot at Fox Studios, despite being a Warner Bros and Village Roadshow production, but I can't for the life of me remember it. Something to do with the size and cityscape of Sydney I think.

I don't blame Dreamworld for having a little swipe, but unfortunattly.....

All rides and attractions at Dreamworld are fully operational
Yet on another page......
The Giant Drop Eastern Side will not be operational between the 26th May and 4th June. The Skylink will not be running between the 20th May and 23rd May
Oh well, good to hear that the ride rotations are over, not that it would have affected my trip to the park since I don't do either Batman or Harry Potter. :D