Holiday Attractions for LPS announced

Jobe

Hey Guys, Just persuing the LPS website and they have now updated to include their summer attractions. Of course as you all know the Hard Rock is now in place and will be there for the duration of the school holidays. :cool: (Does anyone know where they have located it within the park??? It looks like Maloneys corner to me judging from the pic!!). Joining the Hard Rock is The Dominator, which has been to the park before. They have also announced a summer attraction which I believe will be a big winner for the park. Starting from the 7th January, the BIG TOP will host an indoor ice skating rink which will open from 10am to 10pm at night. $10 admission buys you 40 minutes on the ice,although you are free to spectate if you wish. :) The site also promises new kids rides at Maloney's Corner and also new games kiosks within the park. These attractions will be in the park until the 1st of February 2005. As an aside, it is excellent to see that the Big Top become a regular attraction rather than just being used as a function centre. It is obvious that this venue is an extremely versatile building that can be utilised for any number of uses.Its under utilisation as an attraction was something that bothered me and it is gratifying to see that LPS management use this for something other than concerts or functions. I will be travelling down to Luna Park on the weekend of the 8th and 9th of January so I will be sure to give a full trip report on my return. Does anybody have any updates on the reported purchasing of ex-Wonderland rides to be installed at LPS later in the year??(Wonderbus perhaps?) Comments? Cheers Jobe

Whilst I think Ice Skating for the Big Top is a really cool idea I must disagree with the tone of your post. The Big Top really is more than 'just being used as a function centre.' As someone who has worked in there several times now it is a top class venue. One of the nicest and easiest to work in in Sydney and has the potential to go a long way. It probably beats the Hordern in my opinion and I think as time progresses we will come to see some big name acts through there. Now let us never speak of the Busta Rhymes incident again...

Djrappa, I didnt mean to demean or devalue the Big Top as a function centre as such,in fact I think it is an excellent example of this type of venue. What I wanted to convey is that I felt that the Big Top was being under utilised insofar as being a regular everyday attraction and not just for the odd concert or private function. When the concept of the Big Top was first proposed,it was envisaged that the Big Top would host DAILY human circus shows, and really be a part of the overall regular attractions that LPS would have to offer, which we have yet to see come to fruition. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Wonderbus, do you know why the Wonderland negotiations fell through?/(a very big shame too!!) Also do you know where the rides from Wonderland ended up going??In OZ somewhere? Cheers Jobe

The main reason for the breakdown in negotiations is that both parties wanted something that the other was not willing to give. From what I have been told all of the rides except one or two are going overseas. As you know Demon is going to the States but the rest of them are going to Asia. "The Bus is now leaving for Light Of Asia Mine, Western Australia"

it's great to see luna park gearing up for the christmas holidays, but hey lets not go nuts, the park will be packed out everyday these holidays. New rides and ice skating sounds kool for the break. With the comments on luna park buying wonderland rides, i dont think that'll happen, if luna park wanted some big rides, they wouldn't go for wonderlands rides, however they might fetch a cheap value compared to other rides. Wonderland flat rides i must say are in good condition IMO. They are repainetd and refurbished well some of them, but they are still maintained well.

I agree with Jobe's comments regarding the Big Top. While the building looks great externally and fits in well with the look of the park, for most of the time it is not an accessible attraction to the general public. It is a building which takes up such a significant amount of prime space in the amusement park yet does not contribute to that side of the business at all. The Big Top site was once home to 3 of Luna Park's most popular attractions - Big Dipper, Ghost Train and River Caves. I was reading an article in the paper recently which mentioned that Luna Park has become the most popular function venue in Sydney. On top of this we all know the amusement park is doing well (even with the parks new emphasis on functions). So all in all it seems that most people are pretty happy with the parks current setup and overall mix

Paul, If you read this and other threads on the subject fully you will find that LPS were indeed in the FINAL negotiations to buy three former Wonderland rides. Wonderbus reported that LPS were interested in HMS Endeavour,Balloons and Galleons in a former thread. These rides would have fit in very well with the current ride roster that LPS operates. The deal fell through at a late stage in negotioations as Wonderbus has stated. LPS managment intentions were very clear on this point-had the deal been seen through to fruition, we would have been looking forward to 3 former Wonderland rides gracing LPS skyline by mid 2005. Alas the missed opprtunity!! Wonderbus, can you elaborate further on why the deal fell through?? What were the things that both parties wanted but were not willing to give?? Also do you have info on whether a home has been found for Bounty and Space Probe and where have they gone? Finally, which 2 rides are staying in OZ and where are they going? Thanks in advance... Yes you guys are quite correct, The Dominator is a Miami ride which kind of mirrors the same actions as a Huss Rainbow ,but on a much smaller scale. Personally i would like to see LPS lease the Spinning Mad Mouse ride for future school holidays. It would be a great addition to the ride roster and would bring 2 coasters back to Luna Park. Its small footprint would fit perfectly where the Tumblebug currently sits and would look awesome having 2 coasters once again overlooking the main Midway. Comments?? Cheers Jobe

Wonderbus, can you elaborate further on why the deal fell through?? What were the things that both parties wanted but were not willing to give?? Also do you have info on whether a home has been found for Bounty and Space Probe and where have they gone? Finally, which 2 rides are staying in OZ and where are they going?
The main reason was money. Luna wanted them for less than Wonderland was willing to let them go for and Wonderland wanted more than Luna was willing to give. Bounty's is heading over the Malaysia. Space Probe hasn't found a home yet. The ride that is definitely staying in Australia is Taz, negotiations are still going on for the second ride, but the probability is that all the rest will end up in Malaysia for elsewhere overseas. "The Bus is now leaving for Malay Well, Western Australia"

Well I must say I am very glad to see that such a great and unique version of a ride is staying in Taz. Perhaps DW should get it and put it in the mountain and throw out the ****ty version they have :P
I wholeheartedly agree with you Djrappa.Its good to see that Taz is staying. Perhaps Wonderbus would be so kind as to indicate where in OZ it is heading???(BTW thankyou for all your info Bus,you are a veritable mine and a valuable resource to this site) :) I do feel a tad sad to see the unique rides from the former Wonderland site disappear from these shores(Such as HMS Endeavour,Balloons, Bounty etc). It is quite disappointing that they couldnt have recieved another lease of life at another park in OZ :( . I was wondering,since you stated that most of the rides are heading offshore to Malaysia, would the recent disaster with the Tsunami affecting the region have any effect on the sale of former Wonderland rides?? Food for thought perhaps. Could you also indicate Wonderbus, which other ride could be staying in OZ?? Also, have there been any serious offers or expressions of interest in Space Probe( A ride I sincerely hope is relocated to another park in Australia. ) Well i lieu of the fact that Wonderland are now NOT getting ex-Wonderland rides, what do you guys think would be best for LPS?? Is their current trend of leasing rides every school holidays the most effective program or do you think that they should focus on obtaining more permanent rides for the park?? Comments? Cheers Jobe

Taz has gone to Melbourne. No not to LPM but to a travelling ride company, not sure which one, the info I got from Hussy is that Wittingslow, TPA, Johnson’s and Advanced are based in Melbourne. It is going to be fitted to a trailer and become a travelling ride. All the rides from the Wonderland site that have/are going to Malaysia are being relocated to Sunway Lagoon or the new park that is being built in the north of the country, areas not effected by the tsunami. As for the other ride staying in Oz, the only possibility of this happening, as I understand, is Space Probe, Zodiac or the Beach Tower. They are the three attractions that have not yet found a new home, but the only one I can see staying is the Beach Tower, where it would go to at the moment is anyone's guess. As for your question about what LPS should do I think they should reduce the number of permanent rides (possibly get rid if Tumble Bug and Spider) and have a greater number of rotating rides. Doing that would help keep the park fresh and attractive to the people of Sydney, if they don't the park will become very stale and go the way of the Wonderland. "The Bus is now leaving for Breaking Wave, South Australia"

Paul, If you read this and other threads on the subject fully you will find that LPS were indeed in the FINAL negotiations to buy three former Wonderland rides. Wonderbus reported that LPS were interested in HMS Endeavour,Balloons and Galleons in a former thread. These rides would have fit in very well with the current ride roster that LPS operates. The deal fell through at a late stage in negotioations as Wonderbus has stated. LPS managment intentions were very clear on this point-had the deal been seen through to fruition, we would have been looking forward to  3 former Wonderland rides gracing LPS skyline by mid 2005. Alas the missed opprtunity!!
What i meant was that i already knew that LPS would not purchase any of those rides as the deal had fallen through.