For anyone that's been on the Zipper or Hangover

Clairey

Hey, if you've been on the zipper or Hangover (preferably the hangover at the Ekka) could you please post a "review" or something like that, about what the ride is like, whether you liked it or not etc. I'm just interested as to what the two rides are both like, because I'm going to be riding them sometime this year and the only kind of review I've heard has been "THAT WAS WILD!!!" for the zipper, and "That ride is the death ride" for the hangover. Thankies.

i have ridden the zipper. My local shows are the Hawkesbury and Penrith shows, and there is frequently 2 or more zippers at these shows. I used to work the shows a bit, so i know most of the carnies, and scored free rides constantly. as far as the zipper goes, don't ride it multiple times in a short period. also try not to eat or drink for a while before you go on it. not everyone chucks on these rides but it doesnt make you feel too good nonetheless. i haven't ridden on anything else that comes close to the zipper. you're in a cage designed specifically for you to be part-standing up and part-sitting down. general running, without spinning the structure itself is just like a rough ferris wheel, but once they begin rotating the structure itself, it can get pretty crazy. My personal best spin record was 12 consecutive revolutions. so essentially, picture yourself spinning either forwards or backwards, like a somersault, combine that with the swooping feeling of falling fast, and then coming around and being catapulted to the top. every rotation or two, the forces combine to actually bring you to a stop, generally either at the top or the bottom, and you will then begin spinning the other way. theres nothing like it in my opinion as when you're on the "downward" run, and your gondola happens to be facing down, and you come so low to the ground you feel like you could reach out and touch it. Its scary as hell too because it is generally old and rickety. you feel like either the joins connecting you to the structure are going to break off and send you flying, or that the gate is going to fail and fling you onto the ground, and then roll over and crush you. if you're lucky, you will get an operator who knows the ride well, and will reach out as you come to the bottom, grab the gondola and send it spinning as you go round. well thats very jumbled... but i hope it gives you an idea of what the ride is like. although admittedly, the description does the real ride absolutely no justice..

Great review Alex. Who did you work for. Anyways, thats a great review of how the ride goes. Ill be trying it out on tuesday or wednesday night. Im totally sht scared! and Wittingslows Zipper is said to be one of the fastest Zippers in Australia! The guys there really know how to give a good ride, and they like to get their first riders pumped by flipping their cage a few times after loading! In a way I can't wait, because its a ride that I admire and really respect! I don't get sick on rides, just the occasional dizzy or quesy if I go for too long, or really quick like I went from Cliffhanger to Wave Swinger, and that wasn't fun HAHAHA. So Clairey, most likely on Saturday, if im back from my beach house, ill post a review, and hopefully ill come on here saying how much I love it, and that I rode it like 5 times haha Chris

That ride is evvviiillll. I rode it once while i was at the sydney easter show this year, and it was the scariest thing i have ever been on. At first its quite fun, but then it just keeps going on and on, and BARF. I had that experiance twice where my cage was facing downwards as it came towards the floor and it hit the bottom and went flying back upwards and if i wasnt holding on so tightly i would have been knocked uncouncious cause it pushes your head foward as it goes bak up and my head was this close to smashing into the metal cage infront of me. I guess its almost mildy dangerous in a way, i wouldnt ride it again, no way in hell. Maybe its just the one at the easter show, I SAW THE LIGHT ON THE ZIPPER!

The Zipper would have to be the best carnie ride by far of any that i have ever been on. Its fast, intense and mean. Hold on tight tho as has been said already to avoid smashing your face on the cage in front when your facing the ground at the bottom. Only happens a few times a cycle tho so its not a big issue. Also note that its a different ride depending on what side you get on. You will notice they load 2 cars at the same time and both face opposite directions. Ive found personally that backwards flipping has a higher chunder-factor and happens more often if you load into the car on the left side ( left as facing the ride in the que). Oh also remember to leave your wallet and anything else loose with someone thats not riding, as you will more then likely lose anything thats not nailed down. ITs also not much fun to have coins flying around your car hitting you in the head. They hurt for the reccord!

Tha hangover is fun enough but is just not as comfortable or exciting as the aero 360 model (eg at kennywood pa). The hangover feels alot more caustrophobic...the only time I went on it was this year at Melb show and there was NO queue and I am not joking, the operator had us going for about 15 minutes. i started counting the revolutions at one point and we did about 50! :eek: and that's not counting when we first started! so it was a bit much and maybe that's why my opinion of it is a bit marred. i guess it would be fun at normal ride time length.

Hangover was good, but the bloke operating it was either vindictive, or an idiot. Seriously, 20 seconds upside down is NOT cool. I didn't mind Hangover, but I injoyed the chance inverter more, even though the floorless seating style on Hangover is really cool. Ideally I'd love to see Chance do a floorless version of their inverter.

Yep, the Hangover is just a converted A.R.M Skymaster. The seating is not normally sold for the double version, but can be seen on their one arm equivalent. You probs won't catch it with that yellow paint job, its now sportin a nice white, green and black paint job that was applied before ekka in 2004 chris
That must have been applied after, because When I saw it then (my friends went on it) it was the same colours as the photo. The new colour scheme sounds nice though.. although I Luuurve the gold glittery paint :)

You think what you want, i am still going to believe that these carnie rides like Zipper, and Kamakazie are Death Traps. I just don't like them, and having them at a show, man Carnies Ferris Wheels scare the crap out of me.
That's what adds an extra element to the rides- fear. I remember I rode the Cyclone once, front seat and the restraint felt really, really loose. So I did something kinda stupid and tested out of my arm could fit through the front of the restraint..both of my arms could. I quickly put my arms back and the ride started.. Then when it came to the loops..Let me just say I've never said the work faaark consequtively so many times in the space of about 15 seconds... :eek: :o Then there was the time I was on the travelling claw, and the restraint across from me flung open just as they were going to start it, that kinda made me hold onto the restraint extra tight during the ride :P

did you read my post.......obviously not! Anyways I can't really see how you can sick, but it just might be because I have a strong stomach, but the flipping is totally awesome! the speed is also fantastic. Don't go on it, if you are scared of flipping really fast, and going upside down, because there is no way you can prevent it from flipping! TRY HARDER! and make it go absolutely WILD! :D I really enjoyed it, and I can't wait to get on it again! :D chris p.s Wittingslows Zipper wasn't at rye, it was Shorts, but it may seem that Wittingslow could have a share in the ride, because the Taipan was there, and everyone, even on Zipper had Wittingslow uniforms :D