Wonderland's Opening Day

DaptoFunlandGuy

Hey Guys, Just going through some old posters and stuff here, i've always beleived wonderland opened on december 3rd, 1985. When Paul released his latest video, I thought it was wrong, because it said December 7th. I have just reviewed the Audition Call Poster from July 1985, which shows the parks entire operating calendar from August 1985 (auditions) to October 1985 (dry run and audition days) and its operation days are listed thus: November 1985 - 2,9,16,17,23,24,30 December 1985 - 1,5,7,8, and then the 14th december through to February 1st, when it then went back into weekend only operation until the may 1986 holidays, where it operated from the 2nd of may to the 18th of may, before closing for the off season. Does anyone have any further information on this, because as it stands, it seems the park's first operation day was November 2nd, not December 7th or 3rd...?

I wondered that too when I saw the poster. Everything else I saw pointed to a December opening. I have a framed park map with a gold plaque that reads "Grand Opening Day 7th December 1985". One of the maintenace guys had an original ticket stub encased in perspex from the grand opening day, and I'm pretty sure it said 7th December, or Decemeber atleast. Also consider that those posters were made months before opening, so the schedule could've changed. It's possible because I also have an early brochure stating a 1986 opening.

• 4 months later...
I wondered that too when I saw the poster. Everything else I saw pointed to a December opening. I have a framed park map with a gold plaque that reads "Grand Opening Day 7th December 1985". One of the maintenace guys had an original ticket stub encased in perspex from the grand opening day, and I'm pretty sure it said 7th December, or Decemeber atleast.   Also consider that those posters were made months before opening, so the schedule could've changed. It's possible because I also have an early brochure stating a 1986 opening.
Australias Wonderland's Grand Opening was definately Saturday 7th December 1985, however, Leightons, James Hardies and the other JV Partner's workers had open days in the weeks prior to December 7, and these days were used as full operation day tests. ;)