What ever happened to Tops at the Myer Centre Brisbane???

crazycow

Can anyone remember tops? It was a mini amusement park on the top level of the Myer Centre Brisbane city. It rocked! :) I used to love going there when i was a kid. My fav ride used to be the dragon coaster. Does anyone know why all these rides were pulled down and replaced by a bunch of boring cinemas? It's such a shame it was a Brisbane icon! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

I really enjoyed riding the Dragon Coaster too when I was younger. It was the highlight of my trip to the Myer Centre. The height above the shoping centre and the sharp turn inside the cave were the best parts I thought. Anyhow, if my memory serves me well, I had a feeling that the Dragon Coaster was sold privately to an individual I think, for not a huge amount of money. So I am sure there could be some lucky rich person riding it around in their backyard. (If I ever become extremely rich, I want a themepark in my backyard - no queues, YAY!).

• 9 months later...

The dragon coaster was bought by a friend of mine and turned into a dragon train for school fetes and the likes around Brisbane. It is/was for sale last I spoke to him and if you like go here for a pic of it and details of the guy http://www.amusementz.com.au/Classified.asp?ID=67 He also has/had the ferris wheel that was in the window in the front

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey, i too am 20 and are pretty sure that it shut down late 2001 when i was 13. i remember for a short time you could walk around up there just after it had closed to use the toilets and it was so sad as it was just all dark and a mess. most rides had been taken out and the place had lost its character. these days it's just not the same and i always reminese the fun times i had as a kid whenever i go to the movies.

• 4 weeks later...

Somewhere in melbourne there used to be a park like these. it was fairly small but i know my cousin went there once and he told me they had a small roller coaster and stuff. i wonder where that all went. and it was busy out of school hols too, i know my mum once tired to take me and ended up taking me too luna park instead. Oh those were the days.

• 3 weeks later...
Well there was a park extremely similar to tops in an adeliede shopping centre, it had something like the dragon only it was a train.
Ah yes, Dazzeland...My only visit was when I was around 5 but can still remember it. The main attraction was the "Jazz Junction" which was a musical themed Zamperla powered coaster that did a lap of the floor the park occupied, and as such was quite high above the lowest floor as it was just void in the center of the complex, the height factor sort of scared me off. There was also an airplane ride and a helicopter ride (Similar too dora the explorers sea planes at Nick Central) Other attractions included dogems, a Mexican themed mini golf course and a medieval themed soft play structure (My personal favourite at the time as it had one of those spiral slides, and the obligatory ball pit) Is there anything i have missed?

You know I think dazzleland(I'm sure) was owned by whoever owned tops. Because the dragon at tops was a zamperla powered coaster. If you've seen the one at tops and want to compare click here: http://www.rcdb.com/ig2313.htm?picture=1 note: if you want to look at the dragon click here: http://www.rcdb.com/ig2383.htm

Edited by sonic123488

• 2 weeks later...