Zipper?

scott

10 members have voted

1. 1. Zipper?

• Excellent
    • Baaaaaad

What did you think of the Zipper?I'm interested to know because some people say it's a bad-arse ride that is just not funny but other say that it's great.This question is here partly because I want to know weather I should spend 5 bucks,which is already alot for a ride,on the Zipper.There are plenty of other rides I want to waste my money on at this years Ekka(Hard Rock,Techno Jump,Megadrop)and I want to know if I should go on Zipper.

I voted Excellent! Worth every cent, just make sure you don't mind flipping heaps, and trying to keep your head from smacking into the bars when flipping backwards (best thing to do is completly STAND, and then you will just hit the padding, unless you are tall enough, its fine) But RIDE IT! you won't regret it!, if you dont ride it, YOU WILL REGRET IT!, totally insane fun chris

Zipper is one of the scariest rides I've been on. It's years since I went on it last, it might have changed. The door, the entire front of the carriage, contained the only "harness" to keep you in. The door was latched by a single pin. The door opened, you fell (or were flung) out. That's all I could think of for the whole ride. Is it still the same? Having said that, it gives you a wild random ride of spins and face-first plunges into the ground and is great fun. I refrained from voting though, as I believe the rides are the same ones that were touring the country when I was a teen back in the 70's and I the age of it scares me.

One thing I noticed while taking my first ride, I didn't think once about the door flying open or like someone said, the feeling like your cage was going to come loose from the two (very thin, might I add) support frames. Wittingslows Ferrari made Zipper is infact still the same model from the 70's and hasn't had any problems. Also Shorts Zipper, the one which is currently at Rye, is a younger model, but is an original from Chance that was purchased in SA. The door is held in by a locking lever, and then a pin that fits through the hole, where the door is. There is a knob sort of, and there is a hole in the door, the knob is sticking out, and the weird looking clamp pin is fitted through the hole. You can hear it click in when the loader puts it in. I can't see myself being scared of falling out of the ride, im pretty cool with it. :D Chris

You know a hell of alot about carnival rides Huss.I'll probably give it a go,but it does look like one of those old unstable rides that seem to have allot of problems.When you know which family is bringing it to the Ekka this year,tell us wether it's one that's had a few problems or not.

Well, Shorts will most likely bring their Chance made Zipper to the EKKA this year. The only problem that has been noted was at the 2003 Royal Melbourne Show when a bolt sheared off the ride. They didn't exactly say where, but there were girls complaining that their door was loose, it wasnt, it was just the lap bar that was loose. Anyways the problem did get fixed and it is running fine. Zipper is a ride that has had various problems over the years, in America. One known incident was when 2 people were getting off the ride, and the boom jolted forward, throwing the riders forward, leading to their deaths. That isnt the full story, but its along the lines of that. Our Zippers here have a great safety record, seriously, don't worry about the cons of the ride, just concentrate on having a wicked and scary time! You will really love it! Chris