Port Macquarie

T-bone

I didn't know where to put this, so i stuck it in here. Anyway, if you didn't know, i recently went on a magnificent trip to PM. Fantasy glades which was opened, and built by a dwarf couple closed a couple of years back now, and is now i am pleased to inform that it will re-open, on a new site in a couple of years down the track. Anyway, FG was a small park full of disney stuff and was a nice place which was situated in a rainforest. It's closure story was the same as Wonderland, bought as an investment, couldn't be stuffed with it anymore, so they shut it down. It had been bought off the dwarf family 21 years ago. Went to the Big Banana, raining ofcourse. Also went to Leyland Bros World. The place is a mess, due to the fact that half of the rock inside is being cut off to the public, and is going to be used for the bush camp. I have attatched some pics, if you have any queries what so ever, feel free to ask. I had a great time at port, the resort manager of Port Pacific is a great guy, and can't wait untill next year when i go again for 2 weeks. Truely a great place, if you haven't visited, visit now. By the way, $40 bucks accomodation is now avaliable at The Rock, or Leyland Bros World. Edit: The pictures have been moved to Defunction. (www.defunction.net) plus there is much more there. Just navigate to Parks, then Fantasy Glades.

Fantasy glades was a small like Disney themed park with stuff like the Snow White, wicked witches, and all that stuff, with a story line to each thing. Not much there in terms of rides. They had a tracklesss train, and like a do-it yourself monorail. Nice place it was. Full of rainforest, and the rainforest part can't be re-developed, only the first front blocks can be. Port was also home to a waterslide park called Peppermint Park. Only small, which closed 2 yrs ago, was on Flynns Beach, and is being re-developed for apartments.

• 4 weeks later...

I happen to know a few people on the Port Macquarie council and I do know that there is land currently set aside for a new "Theme Park" which is to replace the loss of Fantasy Glades and Peppermint Park to appartment developers. The local council wants to help boost its local tourism industry after massive blows of recent times. Just from driving along the beachside raod its amazing to see the number of hotels that have suddenly dissapeared to make way for appartments. Port macquarie is loosing its local accomodation. The Sheridan on the town green recently pulled out and i'm not sure whose running the hotel now but Sheridan just couldn't draw in the tourists. In recent years Port has become something of a nothing town for tourism. The coucil is offering local support for a new "theme park"

Yeah DJ. That bit of land is on the River road, when entering Port. There are more pics of the site on my site (www.defunction.net) and you will find them in the Park Database, under Fantasy Glades. It seems that the only people that are going good then with accomodation is Port Pacific. Mostly full of timeshare, but you still have the regular "Non members" comming and going there. I prefer Port Pacific anyday to some of those other places there such as the sheridan.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all im new here &i dont bite so say hello :D Anyways im from one of those timeshare famalies .. My parents bought one in the early 90s for the family after being stopped in the street. It was called the village resort, it like port is a little run down , used to be 4 star, now 3.5 (true). Every year it was fantasy glades, peppermint park, bowling, beaches and dodgy putt putt golf. FG scared me at first as a kid but i became used to it after a while. Port Maquarie needs another park NOW! Last time i traveled - march 05 - the wonky house was still lying on its side on a farm patch on the side of hastings river drive.Very depressing. Im going up in april this year (timeshare) so ill stay posted. Ciao

• 3 months later...

I remember FG. my aunt lived in PM and we used to visit her every school holidays and go to pepiment park and FG. I miss that place and now I have kids of my own I would of loved to take them there. regardless of how old you were when you visit there you suddenly became a kid again. I remember going there when I was 13 and still thinking it was cool. I also loved old timber town too which has had its troubles of opening and closing a few times. any one know if its open at the moment?

• 1 year later...
I remember FG. my aunt lived in PM and we used to visit her every school holidays and go to pepiment park and FG. I miss that place and now I have kids of my own I would of loved to take them there. regardless of how old you were when you visit there you suddenly became a kid again. I remember going there when I was 13 and still thinking it was cool. I also loved old timber town too which has had its troubles of opening and closing a few times. any one know if its open at the moment?
for anyone wanting to know, the fg rides etc are still sitting as stated earlier in this topic, ie sheds on their sides etc. timbertown is still open but has been taken over by the aus or nsw gov and is now no longer a donation optional entry, now you have to pay. i think entry fees are something like $5/child and $10 adult, $20 family.... i think. one member in this topic said a relative of theirs is in port council, i would like any information i can get about plans on the new amusement park, it is very sad seeing the stuff sit there, basicly going to waste. i am in the process of contacting the local newspaper to see if i can lend a hand in construction etc, i cannot provide monetary help but am willing to devote my spare time to see that this park is finished and operating. i visited port a year or 2 before both the parks closed but didnt visit them and i sorely regret it. when i moved here to port a few years ago the parks were gone and apartments in place. please, any info will be more than appreciated. thankyou, jason.

• 3 years later...

Mods, please move this one. Had never heard of Fantasy Glades until today, so went and had a look at their facebook and was shocked to see over 4000 likes (almost as much as Movie World and it hasnt even opened :o - very impressive). I have to say I'm quite jealous of the new owners, they sound like they got it for a bargain and now they have all these people volunteering free time to help them get it re-opened. Sounds like a dream start.