"Disney standard" theming

Adam

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well whilst it has some damn good theming and IMO is a first class Australian ride, it doesn't really even touch on Disney Standard. Same as Wild Wild West, its fantastic and as good as you will ever get here however Disney would kick its but. For starters you wouldn't have a big ole shed sticking out of the back of the mountain and they would have had that theming replaced long ago in the top of the mountain which as far as I know is still not back??

to compliment Rappa's post, Wild West doesnt meet disney level, but Scooby comes close. If Wild West was disney level, it would tell a story. Wild West doesnt tell a story, it just has scenes of things happening. If wild west were Disney, it would start you off with everything pleasant and going to plan, then something bad would happen, the rest of the ride would be more things going wrong, with the final drop being the climax, and once you're at the bottom, everything would turn out right again (ok pretty much just splash mountain, but with a different "story" that works all the way through) As far as scooby, I have to say its the closest to Disney that Australia has come. it ties in the original story nicely with the closing scene after the "laser room". but i still feel it's story is a little lacking. In the queue area, rather than showing "the making of scooby doo the movie" it would have all the same people setting the scene for the story that the ride tells. With Disney, the story starts the moment you enter the queue line. with a slight tweak to the ride itself, a change in the queue area, and a better "immersion" into the story itself to make you feel a part of it. Scooby has great scenes and sets, but the fact remains that the story doesn't make people feel like they are part of the action, merely observers from a theme park that have wandered onto a very elaborately decorated indoor coaster.

I've made this its own topic because it's interesting. Story telling seems to be the one key area where Movie World "fails". Now, don't get me wrong, I love Movie World and they have the highest standards of rides in this country, but we're talking about why they're not Disney. The only attractions at Movie World that I think ever captured the Disney way of doing things was Great Gremlins Adventure and to a lesser extent, the Looney Tunes River Ride. I remember the first time I went on Gremlins, when the park first opened. You entered under the assumption that you were going into a screening room to see out-takes from movies. The whole place was decked out very authentically as an art-deco style screening room, exactly as you'd see in Hollywood. By this stage you've assumed that you must have entered the wrong queue or something and you're not seeing the "Gremlins ride". Gremlins take over the place and you're evacuated out. The attendants remain excellently in character and you're ushered towards the escape vehicles where the ride part comes into play. It's topped off with the sound of police sirens, followed by a loud crash. Riders then exit to see the police cars crashed and smoke rolling out. This was story telling at its finest. I'd say it was the best themed attraction Australia has ever seen. The effects weren't great and it was outdated, but it achieved everything a themed ride should, and did so very well in its day.

Rides like Splash Mountain and Star Tours at Disney have great stories. It's awesome to have a story attached to the attraction, but it's not neccessary. Rides like Soarin' Over California don't have stories but still have the Disney 'feel'. I've never been to Movie World, so I can't really comment on that, but from what I've heard about the attractions it's the next best thing to a Disney themed attraction. Would you say it's up to Universal Studios standards?

I agree with Richard re Gremlins Adventure. I was actually quite sad to see this taken out as I always found the whole experience lots of fun. I even used to enjoy the pre-show out-takes screening bit... sitting in that nice air conditioned theatre... feeling the suspense building up as you knew something was about to happen. While I do like Scooby overall, I've never been overly impressed with the sets and animatronics in the 'ghost train' section of the ride. It's all a little too basic looking. The indoor queue line area looks great though with all those gargoyles and the misty fountains (assuming they still mist)

I would put it on par with Universal level, Jurassic Park is pretty cool but it has its fair share of Back of House ugly bits too... Interesting that Story has been brought up, whilst not really a comment on the theming it certainly is a big part of making a ride 'Disney.' Very funny how you describe a Disney story Alex, it's so true...although you missed the part about going to the evil hell type place, seems to find its way into every ride there!

From what I've seen the only thing holding Movie World back is the amount of rides and attractions. But that sounds like it's changing with Superman. I wonder if they are going to replace the Special FX show with something like the new one at Universal Studios Hollywood. :)

Movieworld is on the same level as Universal hollywood and that where it should be, Disney is Disney and will always be ahead of the pack. **hope this bit alright rich** For the past 2 weeks I have had my best friend and his girlfriend here hes from NZ but has been living in europe for the last 7 years. and has been to a few parks in Spain, Italy, France and England. and has done the LA parks as well. Anyway there opion on all parks was the same as alot of visitors to the coast. Basically this is how they summed up there visits. Dreamworld : Claw was great, Giant Drop was awesome and wipeout was fun but park was below par with waiting and felt like a big fair. Seaworld : beautiful park good to see animals in such a great environment and the Bremuda Triangle was a great disney style ride. Movieworld : The atmosphere was amazing with all the street characters around and the rides were quality best park by far felt like you were in a theme park. and for the record we didnt get everything done that day and it wasnt busy. so I hope the above give you a guide to how non theme park freaks like us see our parks.

Joz is right Bus. Sorry if I wasn't clear yes I meant you should be able to see this stuff. I'll admit I did see a few bits (if you can call the heavily camo. show building for Indy BOH) on my last visit to Disney but I was really looking. Amazed me the first time I went as to just how they hide it all. Like WHERE THE HELL is the show building for Pirates???

Amazed me the first time I went as to just how they hide it all. Like WHERE THE HELL is the show building for Pirates???
That's the beauty of the Berm at Disneyland, it hides all the ugly show buildings just outside the parks perimetre. The first drop near the start of POTC is to get you down underneath the Disney railway line, taking you into the main show building, which sits outside the berm. You used to be able to see the show building from the car park but that has changed since DCA opened. Similar story with the Haunted Mansion, the elevator takes you down so that you can go under the railway line out to the back of the park. :)

Very interesting discussion. The Pirates of the Caribbean DVD (which I'm guessing you don't have) shows where the ride is located and how it works etc. The Batman Ride follows a story... And now I'm looking forward to ten angry posters replying with why it's not up to the Disney ride experience :P Scooby has a story as well, your trying to find Scoooooooooby Dooo.

I've never been overly impressed with the sets and animatronics in the 'ghost train' section of the ride.
Thanks for your contribution GoBoi. But can I ask, what would you find more impressive in this part of the ride? I've been to Disneyland, but it was ages ago, and I can't really remember much of it...

I don't think MW is Disney satandard.I don't like saying it,but it's true.It is on the level of the Universal though,well,I can imagine that anyway.Disney's Frontierland is amazing,once you've seen that then you've seen it all.It's simply so well done.Also,not all disney rides have a story.In fact,only Space Mountain does really.Big Thunder just starts without any real story beforehand.Nor does Indiana.

Indy has a story its all in the pre show movie room and the queue from the begining! It's allbout discovering this temple in the jungle to find the fountain of youth inside and not to look into myra's eyes yada yada yad, thats why the few parts where you see paintings and sculptures of myra throughout the queue and bording her eye's are covered than the first scene you see her eyes as you enter on of the three destiney rooms, than beacuse you look into her eye's the path to desctruction begins. and you than find that indy is in the temple still discovering more and he helps. if you ever get the chance the book- the art of imagineering is an exellent read it show Big thunder mountains back stories and many others and how they design basically and also how every ride is built of a story. Also its got heaps and heaps of great illistrations and ride concepts. im actually going to MW next week so should be interesting never been really looking forward to seeing the scooby doo ride

Scott - what about splash mountain? I have to admit, Space Mountain is my absolute favourite, but the bottom line is, even if the ride doesnt have a story (i can't think of a single ride at disneyland that doesnt have some sort of story about it, except the outdoor rides and they're just flats and the like and can't really have a themed story to work with. the theming in them comes from the look of the attraction), but even if a disneyland ride doesn't have a story as such (which i've just said, they all do) the theming is superb. On the subject of Scooby's Ghost train theming, its fantastic... for what it is. but its not disney. to give you an example of the differences, compare it with splash mountain... splash mountain is a flumeenclosed ride, and the theming inside it is superb. Synchronised soundtracks on the ride, animatronics, spectacular lighting effects, and funky stuff that would have been completely unique upon opening - ill give you an example. part way through the ride, there are small "buckets" filled with a fluoro green creamy "paint-like" liquid, that is spat up and down under a UV light. I forget what these are meant to represent, but the effect is absolutely magic, and thats just one facet of an entire ride that lasts a good 5 or more minutes. Scooby Doo has a long way to go to get a "disney" tick of approval, and WBMW would probably not bother to go to the efforts, as the ride is just as popular without the extra additions. As far as Scooby having a story that people are looking for scooby doo, that is stupid and ridiculous. It is a replication of the ride in the movie, with a bit more "thrill" added at the end to make it more than just a ghost train. As far as Batman Adventure, its a simulator. A SIMULATOR! its only attraction is that it has to tell some sort of story. if you got on batman, and it did the same thing, but the screen didn't work... it would be absolutely nothing. the story is what makes a simulator work. and admittedly, the story is pretty crappy anyway.

Alex, the story on Scooby Doo is most definitely that your looking for Scooby Doo. Its only a loose story (just as Splash Mountain's story is only loosely enforced) which kinda shows that you don't have to have an elaborate story to make a ride well themed. You also forget that not only does Batman have a heavy story (The only Simulator in Australia to have a story?), Looney Tunes River Ride has a story, and the new Superman (from what I hear) will have a story as well. No, I don't think story is the difference here. I think the difference in themeing standard is Disney's themeing seems a little more permanent, and a little more Genuine. Disney doesn't try and make Fiberglass look like wood, nor do they try and make fiberglass look like rock. Scooby Doo does on the otherhand, and feels more like a movie set then a haunted castle, which is consistant with the overall theme of the park, but is debatably not as effective as the mood created on Disney rides. Just my opinion.

Indy has a story its all in the pre show movie room and the queue from the begining! im actually going to MW next week so should be interesting never been really looking forward to seeing the scooby doo ride
Sorry,I've only been to Euro Disney,there they don't have a pre show movie room.I keep assuming all the Disney parks are exactly the same. :cool:

As far as Batman Adventure, its a simulator. A SIMULATOR!
Not everyone likes the same type of ride. A varied ride experience throughout a theme park provides greater fun and excitement and appeals to larger audiences.
if you got on batman, and it did the same thing, but the screen didn't work... it would be absolutely nothing.
I don’t know what your trying to say with that.
As far as Scooby having a story that people are looking for scooby doo, that is stupid and ridiculous
As joz said above, finding Scooby is the story. If you have been on the ride then I doubt you would call it stupid and ridiculous. I agree with what you have said joz but sometimes the reasons why they don’t use real wood or rock in certain themed rides, are the same reasons why they don’t use real wood or rock in movies. ...well all of that is my opinion of course.

Not everyone likes the same type of ride. A varied ride experience throughout a theme park provides greater fun and excitement and appeals to larger audiences.
What I was saying there was that without theming, a simulator is justa hydraulic lift in the dark. it has to have theming and a story, or its pointless to have.
I don’t know what your trying to say with that.
Then learn some english. As I just said above, if the batman ride did not have the video screen in front of it, there would be absolutely no enjoyment in the ride. if i wanted something like that, I'd put myself inside a cardboard box, get someone to chuck me in the back of a semi trailer while they drive uncontrollably down the freeway... same experience....
As joz said above, finding Scooby is the story. If you have been on the ride then I doubt you would call it stupid and ridiculous.
1) i have been on the ride 2) you doubt wrong 3) the idea that we are looking for scooby doo IS stupid and ridiculous, since we see him in the first 10 seconds of the ride. 4) the only reason we hear "Scooby Doo, Where Are You" all the way through the ride is because thats the bloody theme song that has been attached to the damn cartoon for the last 20 damn years. It is simply a ghoster coaster, themed to a particular movie, which happened to be very popular at the time of it's construction. There is no story, or the story would be introduced to us in an Ante-Room before we got to the station. ***Movie World employee rocks up "hey everyone come on in we have a special preview screening of the newest scooby doo movie (phone rings) oh, well it seems scooby doo has run away from the set again, lets go look for him*** (hmmm that seems a bit like another ride at Movie World.... wouldn't you say?)
I agree with what you have said joz but sometimes the reasons why they don’t use real wood or rock in certain themed rides, are the same reasons why they don’t use real wood or rock in movies.
I would assume that real rock would be too heavy, and cumbersome to have cut to measure, and real wood would pose a fire hazard. I still think disney is light years ahead of anything we have here.
...well all of that is my opinion of course.
Thanks for that, now don't do it again.

lol, its funny how you get so annoyed. The first part of the ride isn't trying to find Scooby Doo, its from after the elevator that this begins. As you get into the elevator and the track has obviously run out, it says "Scooby, scooby doo where are you?" and then you hear good old scooby say "I'm up here".

I wouldn't say that about a simulator Alex. Many places have Simulators that are neither themed, nor do they have a story, and are still surprisingly popular (think any fair you've ever been to or many of the smaller parks around the country). True for a theme park its kind of a given that a simulator would be themed, its certainty not necessary. It wouldn't be totally unheard of to have no pre-show, and just queue directly for the simulators, even with the same movie. You are correct that without a screen its nothing, but I don't really see what that has to do with anything. I've been on many simulators which had no themeing or story but still have a movie. The story and themeing obviously aren't as essential as a screen and movie, but adds to the experience. I think the story on the new version is just as strong as the old one, but IMO the new simulator movie itself is the second versions weakness. But thats for a seperate conversation :) Also, the idea of looking for Scooby is neither stupid or ridiculous. What you have to understand is that the story is there, but you will probably not notice it unless you really want to. Its the same sort of thing on Splash Mountain (Aniehiem's version anyway), where you can get the story, but chances are you'll probably miss it unless your really trying to work it out. If you don't work it out, you'll still enjoy the ride enough anyway. I see no need to inflict the story on everyone with a pre-show or anything like that, since you don't really need the story to enjoy the ride. Like I say, the story is there, its just very, very subtle. Also, the rides stories aren't what seperates the parks. There's no hugely apparent story on Wild West or Big Thunder Mountain. The story on Scooby and Splash is very subtle, and most of the other rides at both parks have stories. The flat rides in Looney Tunes Village don't have much of a story, but neither do the flats in Fantisyland. The dark rides are, but not the flats. The closest Movieworld has to a Fantisyland dark ride is Looney Tunes which has a pretty strong story element. No, I think what seperates the rides is the themeing budget. If your going to spend US 100million on a ride you'd expect it to be better themed then a AU$12million ride. There's no sense to spend obscene amounts of money since the quality of themeing at Movieworld is easily the best in Australia, with daylight in at second.