"Disney standard" theming

Adam

Well said joz ;). Alex, I cannot see why you are saying that a simulator would be nothing without a screen... Well, I did some research and I found that simulators in Disneyland, Universal and Movie World all seem to have screens, interesting... Since all parks have screens on their simulators we cannot say that one park is better because it has a screen. They all do. Also, the term 'simulator' means:

A special device with the sole purpose of simulating an object, device, equipment, or system.
So if a simulator, such as the Batman simulator at Movie World, was to simulate the experience of riding a space-age craft, then not only does the system need to move as would this particular craft, but also provide video and audio entertainment in order to simulate this action. So, a ‘simulator’, without a screen, is technically not a simulator. But returning to what I said earlier, having a screen or not does not prove that "Disney level theming" cannot be provided in an Australian theme park. In my opinion, Scooby Doo has already achieved this. It's an Australian first. Well done.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry mate thought you ment Disneyland anaheim yeah ive heard the indy coaster at paris dosnt have a story really just lots a themeing :o
I was sorely disappointed with Indy Paris- thought it was going to be like I'd read about the Indy ride in Anaheim, which I heard has 2 or 3 seperate tracks and you get a different ride depending on the track it chooses. Indy Paris is a backwards coaster which stays on the one track, not a bad ride but a long way short of the surprise-ride I was expecting. We did it a few times, the loop is pretty funky backwards, especially in the end carriage, but Big Thunder Mountain was the ride we ended up on for hours, longer and more interesting for repeated rides. BTW, I think this thread is funny coz I thought everyone thought like me about themed rides. I have always thought the theming was pretty lame, and I hear people around me making fun of it too. And REALLY annoying in off-peak times when you could just be riding instead of standing listening to some half-baked movie. The only one I actually can remember enjoying was some 4D movie at Universal Studios where the actors scripts were hilarious and beautifully delivered. Don't mind Scooby Doo where you can walk past the screens if there's no line, and of course it's nice to have something to listen to when there is a line. So it's been a good education for me to know that you guys all like the theming. For me- gimme the ride. :D

I think most people want to get on the ride as quickly as possible ;) Well themed rides don't need long ques with movies or staff reading from scripts etc, they simply need to make you feel as though this isn't an "attraction" but a real or true-to-life environment.

Alex' date=' I cannot see why you are saying that a simulator would be nothing without a screen...[/quote'] Because without a screen, it would not be a simulator. that is the point I am trying to drill into your skull. Batman has a storyline, because as a simulator, it is necessary to have some sort of story or adventure, else it is nothing. I raised issues of rides in movie world not having or having stories to them. You raised batman as an example of one that had a story, I replied that of course it had one, because if it did not, it would not be there? Understand Now? Well, I dont really see what is interesting, as we've already discovered, thats what a simulator is. OH NO WAY! really? serious? Damn and here I was gunna say that dreamworld was the best, because its screen was IMAX... but its a very poor simulator because it doesnt move. I can't believe you went to the effort of getting google to back up your flailing attempts at being correct. Ahh well that rules out dreamworld... i see what you mean now, i have been so stupid to be arguing with you all along. damn. yep... thats me... wrong again... Really? you mean you finally understand what i have been trying to say for the last half a page? i think thats a record. No... at last you got something right - its not having a screen, its having a budget big enough. now you're catching on... ;)

Haha, you crack me up Alex. You don't seem to have a very good sense of humor and I'm sure everyone knows that when I said "Alex, I cannot see why you are saying that a simulator would be nothing without a screen..." that I was being completely honest and not sarcastic.

Because without a screen, it would not be a simulator. that is the point I am trying to drill into your skull. Batman has a storyline, because as a simulator, it is necessary to have some sort of story or adventure, else it is nothing.
Alex you are not making sense. These are two completely different statements. A simulator can have a screen but not have a story; it simply needs to recreate the actions of the craft it is simulating. Your claim – “as a simulator, it is necessary to have some sort of story or adventure” is false. As the very talented joz said...
Many places have Simulators that are neither themed, nor do they have a story, and are still surprisingly popular.
These simulators have screens, but no stories or themeing, yet they are still called simulators, interesting… The “themeing” on the Batman ride at Movie World is the que area, the manor, the pre-show program, the cave etc. not the screen in the simulator, as you seem to claim it is.
and Here, I quote the experts...
Thanks Alex for quoting the very professional and quick-witted opinions of Richard, Rabid, and DjRappa. However, when I say “In my opinion” I am not stating in any way that Richard, Rabid or DjRappa agree with me. So I cannot see how this is relevant to my opinion; you are stating their opinion, not mine. Also when browsing these forums it becomes apparent that not everyone agrees with what these people have said previously, yourself included. Scooby Doo feels like a haunted castle, it feels realistic and true-to-life.

Thanks wonderbus2003 for your contribution. What I think you are referring to are the early-day procedural training programs. While these simulators did not have screens, they still provided a "visual" simulation of the experience with aircraft instruments. I think you will find however, that almost all modern flying simulators have screens. Does anyone have an example of a theme park simulator that does not have a screen?

Jesus Christ Adam.... give it up already. you are harping on the screens for the wrong reasons for crying out loud! And then you jump into a Dreamworld thread to try and have a go at me and Rich slaps it in your face! hahaha. I learnt very early in my time on these forums theres a time to shut up..... for yourself, now is that time. :D

And then you jump into a Dreamworld thread to try and have a go at me and Rich slaps it in your face! hahaha.
Alex man, he asked a question, and Richard answered it. Nothing more, nothing less. If your going to go around the boards claiming that he had a go at you, make sure he's actually done it first. In the mean time, can we drop this stupid screen stuff already? Don't bother bringing it up again because its tiresome, and has nothing to do with the topic at hand. If you have an opinion that is based around one element, from one ride, from one park, then don't bother posting in this thread ok? If you have an opinion on the quantitative themeing efforts of Disney Vs Movieworld, then please get stuck in, but don't get all hung up on what are (at best) pointless details.

Thanks for getting back on track guys. Also I cant wait for theming of superman to unfold, from some of the stuff I heard at the staff closing of movie magic this could be one of the best themed rollercoaster ever in the Thrill area. (disney doesnt count ;) ) Also there is a big City set being built at the studios next door for superman and the reason its being built up here was fox studios in Sydney was to small for this one set for Superman, Fox will still do all the inside stuff. so it will be intresting to see if this set ever becomes part of the ride only time will tell I guess.

Yea I am also looking forward to seeing how Superman is themed. I would like to see an interactive / entertaining que area. And now back to the real discussion… The reason this thread was started was to debate the issue as to whether Disney level theming could be achieved in Australia (in reply to wonderbus2003's post that said its not possible for an Australian park to have "Disney theming"). I said that Scooby has "disney theming" but not many agree with me. Fair enough. You are all open to your own opinions ;). This then got me thinking about Sea World (another Australian park) and their Bermuda Triangle adventure. Who would agree that Bermuda Triangle has "disney level theming"? Who doesn't agree? Why? Can anyone think of a pioneering ride / attraction in an Australian park that has earnt “Disney level” recognition?

Sorry Rabid, I have to disagree with you there. Bermuda has certainly been modelled on disney standard, but as Richard has said in the past, along with many others, Warner Village, and a lot of other well themed attractions are very good... even Universal good... But Disney is Disney and Nothing Compares. Bermuda is good, but I think through lack of maintenance, it has deteriorated. I never saw it when it opened (we came through in 1994 when it was being refurbed) but my first ride on it didnt impress me. the theming on it would probably have been an Australian first, but it still would not have come close to an Imagineer.

Just to add a different perspective (after reading the entire thread): I get bored very quickly of pre-ride "storytelling". Once I've ridden the ride on two or three separate visits to a Park, I am just saying "let me through, I know the story!" in my head. What's the lastest on Lethal Weapon? Do you still have to sit through the pre-ride video? (Note my last trip to WBMW was before LW opened.) The only exception was the Gremlins Ride, although every time I went on/in it I was expecting a new bunch of clips. Which never happened for me, unless they changed it in it's last few years of operation? I know it's risky talking about Dreamworld in the Movie World Forum ( :P ), but notice that the "pre-ride" storytelling on the Giant Drop and Tower of Terror got tedious very quickly. Last time I went to Dreamworld there were quite a few "blank screens" in the Tower of Terror que (Which still had its entry on the west side, under a large white sailcloth). I only went to Wonderland once but get tired of the "Channel Seven News" thing very quickly as I went on the Space Probe throughout the day. So for me, I'd prefer to see a ride's "pre-ride story" either not exist at all, or be changed/refreshed every two years. But the latter costs money, dosen't it? :rolleyes:

I get bored very quickly of pre-ride "storytelling".
Same here. The Batman pre-show is very boring once you've been on it. Although when you compare it to standing in the sun for another half an hour then its not so bad. I think the key point is that a pre-show program should not increase the wait for the ride.

Once again the people on this forum expect theme parks to be up to their standards when in reality they are at a standard the average visitor to the park enjoys. Glubbo is the person I am referring to at this point. How many times do you go to theme parks? More than 6 times a year I’m guessing. How many times does the average visitor go? Once every 5 years or so if your lucky. The average person does not get bored with pre shows, be they videos or actors or audio. That's not saying that these things should not be updated fairly regularly. You think seeing Space Probe's video a few times a visit was bad try operating the ride a couple of thousand times and then tell me if it gets on your nerve and into your psyche so that every time you hear anything with a similar sound effect you automatically replay the whole video in your mind. It's very disturbing. "The Bus is now leaving for Glube Bore, Western Australia"