Wild Mouse / Mad Mouse

bluman

Hi Guys, Reading on this site that there are three wild/mad mouse rides still operating in Australia. Royal Melbourne Showgrounds, Luna Park Sydney and AussieWorld. Has anyone taken into consideration the Mad Mouse that is located at the Adelaide Showgrounds? Also, what happened to the Wild Mouse from the former Sydney Showgrounds before it relocated? Cheers, bluman

No LPS had a Schwarzkopf Wild Cat in the early 1970's, which replaced the Wild Mouse. Read a few threads down and you will learn all about it Paul. It had to be modified to fit on the concrete slab that the Wild Mouse sat on. The Wild Mouse from the former Sydney Showgrounds IS the one from Luna Park ,Sydney-it was always lent for the Royal Easter show. When the Wild Mouse for Luna Park was built it was decided to build 3 to cut down costs. The other 2 is in Melbourne and Adelaide. The Wild Mouse at Aussie World came from the US. As an aside can anyone remember a travelling Wild Mouse coaster from many years ago called The Chipmunk?? It used to appear at the show here in Newcastle every year but I havent seen it for a long time. Can anyone shed light on what became of it and who was the manufacturer?? I distinctly recall its cone-nosed cars!!! Comments?? Cheers Jobe

Jobe, i knew that. I was just asking if they ever did have a temp wild mouse which was steel? Because most people reckon Canberra's wild mouse is an old LPS one.
LPS only ever had the original wooden Wild Mouse that general manager Ted Hopkins brought back the plans for to build 3 copies. The Steel Mad Mouse from Downunderland is definitely not from Luna Park,Sydney. Gazza, nice looking coaster but The Chipmunk was not that advanced. Remember that it was a travelling coaster. The main features of it were bright blue tracks and as I have stated before, the cars were cylindrical in shape with cones for noses! I really dont think that it was a Vekoma. Anyone else have any memories?? Cheers Jobe

can anyone remember a travelling Wild Mouse coaster from many years ago called The Chipmunk?? It used to appear at the show here in Newcastle every year but I havent seen it for a long time. Can anyone shed light on what became of it and who was the manufacturer??
I rode it at the Brisbane Ekka many many years ago (circa 1979-1981). Used to think it would come off the tracks!!! I remember very little about it, I'm afraid, not even the cone nosed cars.

• 1 year later...

Notsure if your talking about the same ride but a chipmunk visited our carnival for many years although i remember it having bullet shaped cars Anyway the last time it came was years ago and they said it was the last time as the lease had run our and it was being returned to america well that what they claimed but after some many years of use maybe it was time for the scrap heap

No LPS had a Schwarzkopf Wild Cat in the early 1970's, which replaced the Wild Mouse. Read a few threads down and you will learn all about it Paul. It had to be modified to fit on the concrete slab that the Wild Mouse sat on.
While the ride looks similar to a Schwarzkopf wild cat, Schwarzkopf had nothing to do with this ride. The design was bought from Werner Stengel (who was also designer of Schwarzkopfs rides) and built by a local firm.
The Wild Mouse from the former Sydney Showgrounds IS the one from Luna Park ,Sydney-it was always lent for the Royal Easter show. When the Wild Mouse for Luna Park was built it was decided to build 3 to cut down costs. The other 2 is in Melbourne and Adelaide. The Wild Mouse at Aussie World came from the US.
The wild mouse at Aussie World actually came from the Royal Perth Showgrounds. But it is not one of the original 3 built by hopkins. It was imported from the USA in the 1970's. Peter. Edited by petestrash

• 9 years later...

Chipmunk reference and footage!  ABC's retrospective on Perth's Royal Show.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-26/now-and-then---a-peek-into-perth-news-archives/6806610

Great find Iwerks. Yep that was the much lamented Chipmunk. It was moved to the US to a small park where it was renamed Treetop Racers. it wss was scrapped only very recently.  Goode memories.