The Luna Park History Video

screammachine

I was just wondering anyone here had the opportunity in watching the LunaPark Video that is for purchase at the LunaPark shop near the Entrance of the park??? For those who havnt seen it, or those who take interest in the park or just Luna Park as the Themepark Industry, its a must see. I watched it last night and I found out about heaps of info. As everyone knows the first LunaPark was built in Melbourne, the Second was built Adelaide on the beachfront going over the ocean. The park closed down after a few years due to the Carnies it Attracted!!!! hehehehehe Also that the old Big Dipper Had a Crash just 30m from the station. Luckely no one was hurt, but the kids flew from the carriage falling on the track. And that same year the Ghost Train cought on fire... Its a good video because it talks about other lunaparks throughout the world and how the designers of the park went about designing new rides. There is also a small book you can get with the Video.. Well worth it guys.. Screammachine

Also that the old Big Dipper Had a Crash just 30m from the station.
I remeber when that happened - I was about 9 years old. I specifically remember a succession of kids being interviewed on Willesee (remember that old show..?) who had swollen faces and cuts and bruises. It was the first time that I had heard the word "whiplash" and they all seemed to suffer from it. It was a bad year for LPS, that's for sure.

Coasterfreak is quite correct. Its only available on VHS at this time in being. Spirits of the Carnival(as the documentary is so named) was commissioned by the NSW Film and Television Office for the re-opening in 1995. I remember it was shown on Channel 10 in that year one Sunday afternoon. It offers a fascinating insight into how Luna Park came into being, the full story of Luna Parks in Australia and around the world and the tireless battle of general manager Ted Hopkins ,who ran the park from day one,untill the early 70's. It is filled with dramatisations of actual events but it is also filled with wonderful historical imges of the park's heyday. What does give a shudder however, are the news reports of the time of the ghost train fire in '79. The images from that time of the flames getting higher and higher are a nightmare that one would not see visited upon any park. Tragic, and signalled the end of an era for the park. Couple this video with the Sam Marshall book "Just for Fun" and you willl have the best known historical resources and reference guide on Luna Park anywhere.(Incidentally, this book is recieving an update to reflect events that have happened since 1996. Hopefully it will be re-printed later this year,according to sources within the park.) :cool: Totally recommended especially if you are like me and have a love for the park and its colourful ,iconic history :) Comments? Cheers Jobe

• 6 months later...

ScreamMachine / Jobe, I recently grabbed a copy of this exellent documentary, and I completely second your above opinion - the video is a fantastic documentary capuring the historical 'essence' of the park brilliantly. (easy to over look when you visit the park in its current form) It really gave a good perspective of how thorough and passionate the park's two key general managers were - Hoppie and Atkins. Was a very sad sight to see Hopkins revisit the park in its state of disrepute shortly before he died. I had no idea how close the park came to being completely redeveloped - a lot closer than I previously thought. It is interesting to read that they are possibly publishing an updated edition of Sam Marshall's book (which incidentally was nowhere to be found). If anyone knows when this is being released, please let me know!

Edited by Zamperla