Journey To Alantis (San Diego)

Adam

Journey To Atlantis was engineered by Mack, a German ride manufacturer founded more than 200 years ago. One innovative device on the ride gives passengers the illusion they’re not moving when actually they’re being lifted 78 feet. It is the only known use of this type of lift technology in the United States.
What do you think this means? Has anyone been on the ride that could explain how they make it feel as though your not moving? Thanks, Adam.

well, facades and the like are always useful. They could always move really slowly, and have a winch that slowly ramps up so that its not a sudden jolt, but a gentle floating glide that one does not feel. Look at Giant Drop.... the last part of the lift, you almost feel like you're not moving.... same principle?

Posted by a park employee of Sea World

I just got off Journey to Atlantis less then an hour ago… After a hard day at work in Sea World, I raced over to the front entrance to get into the park before they closed… I literally ran to the ride, waited in a short line (it’s getting late at night and no one really wants to ride anything wet). I got on the ride, and it started… now, the ride is technically 6 minutes and twenty three seconds, but I assure you a good percentage of the ride is wasted at the rides many blocks, but the themeing keeps your mind occupied as you wait. The ride is interesting; one of the lift hills is actually an elevator that sways your boat from side to side as you ascend to ninety feet, it’s mentally stimulating… The ride also contains all the adrenaline raising experiences that you get on a normal rollercoaster. I was really quite impressed with the rollercoaster portion of the ride. I was very happy at the end to not be sopping wet, and the experience was very fulfilling. I want to get back there and ride it with my family. Oh and the new Commerson’s Dolphins exhibit that you can view on your way out of the ride is also greatly impressive. After a very tough day at work for eight hours without a lunch break on a really crowded day, the ride just about made up for it, and sent me home feeling satisfied!

Thanks Alex, Maybe they are suggesting that it feels as though you're not moving in a horizontal direction - although I wouldn't say it provides an illusion of not moving. Anyway, I guess it's just a marketing ploy - anything different attracts attention. From the description you provided it appears the lift is identical to Scooby.