Nintendo DS

Gazza

20 members have voted

1. 1. Nintendo DS

• I will / already have
    • I won't

I reckon the DS will be a good investment. The same as the PSP (Playstation Portable). I am considering buying a DS for myself and my brother. I reckon he would enjoy it. He loves the Gameboy, and especially the SP.

Im getting mine on the 16th for my B-Day, im planning on getting WarioWare with it, is it any good, i played an in store demo. Some of the games a monkey could play, but there are so many games and its so fast, i loved it. I liked the toilet roll one, and the discus one, in fact they were all cool. So what are peoples first impressions? Are the graphics good? Is it ergonomic? Any problems?

I'd definitely get Warioware, it's such an intuitive and entertaining title. It's like videogaming Crack. As for Mario, i've played it on the 64 before, the title looks awesome on the handheld, and further, once you get used to the controls, it's simply a masterpiece. The minigames in Mario alone could have been released as a standalone title. Further, the included demo of Metroid Prime Hunters shows the true capabilities of the system in 3D First Person Shooters, and for a game thats months from completion, all I can say is WOW! As for the system itself, it just emits an aura of quality and fun. The touch Screen is sensitive, and the gaming style is truly unique. As for battery life, I got my system, let it fully charge then played it non-stop nearly for 13 hours before it needed recharging, quite impressive. Ergonomically it's comfortable, but after around 4-5 hours of solid playing, you can get a little sore, but you would have to expect that. If you are still undecided because of lacking software, there are several top notch titles coming soon, including but not limited to -10 March Project Rub, from SEGA- if you like Warioware, then this is for you. -24 March Polarium, from NINTENDO- One Line puzzle game, looks addictive. - March Need For Spped Underground 2, From EA - March The Urbz Sims In The City, From EA - April Yoshi's Touch & Go, from NINTENDO - 2005 Another Code, from Nintendo, fans of Monkey Island type games will love this one. - 2005 Pac Pix, from Namco draw then control Pacman. And these are just a few of the titles I will be getting myself, and def not a complete rundown. So in essence, yeah, I really like My DS!

I'm over these little handhelp gaming things. I already have an XBOX and a PS2 in my house so i dont need anymore!
What I think you, and people like you fail to realise is that the Nintendo DS is a completely new and innovative way to play games. It sets a new benchmark in not only portable gaming, but gaming in general. I considered myself a console only gamer, but the features of the DS that I have experienced are unlike anything you can experience with a home console, And I definitely haven't on my Xbox, Cube or PS2, which I incidently only just purchased for GTA-SA. ;) Further Steve, why on earth would you have an Xbox AND PS2? The two consoles are so similar software wise that it's a waste of money (if thats an issue) to have those two. You would have been much better off with an Xbox and Gamecube, simply for the larger variety of games you could purchase, such as Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, Zelda, Geist and Resident Evil, which are Gamecube only, and Xbox for Fable, Halo, Rockstar Games, and Rare games.

Exactly right there cordonbleu. People are blind to the fact that the PS2 and X-Box are identical, that they purchase both (or only one, yet ignore the gamecube even though it has the highest quality games [pity it doesn't have GTA]), and only a handful of people bother with the Gamecube. Which, is pretty damn sad. Also, Steve$, the whole point of a handheld console is the fact that you don't have to keep it in your house. You make it sound like the fact that you've got two (identical) home consoles, means purchasing a DS would be a waste of money. But it would be the opposite.

Cordonbleau, do you feel a bit annoyed knowing that GTA: SA is coming to XBOX? You needn't have gotten a PS2. But yeah Neb and Cordonbleau are right, the DS is just so inovative and is just so different from any other console, like, who ever heard of a game where you blow on a microphone (like in warioware) to play it, thats how different the DS is. So how do people find it trying to watch both screens at once?

Haha, I should feel annoyed about it hey. I knew that GTA would eventually release on the Xbox, and that buying the PS2 for one game was a bit extravagant, but I just couldn't wait, even knowing that the experience on Xbox would be ten times better then PS2. I will probably pick it up again when it's released on Xbox, and sell the PS2, theres nothing on that system that interests me, it's all just generic crap. Gazza, as for watching both screens at once, I personally find it really fast paced in some aspects of some games, yet quite redundant in some others. What I mean is, that, for example in Warioware, some of the mini-games its imperative that you take notice of both screens, but in Mario64, you really only concentrate on the top screen. You should love the System though. What I'd like to know is some of your anticipation levels for the PSP? How high is it? AND WHY? I've looked at the US Launch games, which will likely reflect what launches here, and also what is in the pipeline for the system, and I can honestly say there is nothing there thats interesting! AT ALL! However, when GTA on the PSP comest Oz Side, I guess i'll be laying down the cash! DOH!

I reckon that the Need For Speed Underground game is really going to make my decision to buy a DS or not. If it turns out well, I'll buy one, if not, I probably won't. It's not that I have a sick obsession with NFS:U, but I think it'll be a good indicator of what normal third parties will be able to do with the DS, and if I should put the money into it or not.

I will probably pick it up again when it's released on Xbox, and sell the PS2, theres nothing on that system that interests me, it's all just generic crap.
Cough *Gran Turismo series* Cough. I personally think that PSP will kick DS into oblivion like XBox and PS2 did with GameCube. The only thing with PSP at the moment is the price, around $400, but then again remember when PS2 and XBox came out and look at them now, you can pick either up with at least one game for $300. "The Bus is now leaving for Coughlans Creek, NSW"

Yeah wow, Gran Turismo, I really love taking turns all day, it's really imaginative and fun to drive real cars, never done that! If I wanted a decent racer, I'd get Forza on Xbox, true it's not tested, but whats the difference, you drive, or you drive... I personally don't see anything that the PSP will bring to the table thats impressive enough to say, 'yeah thats worth getting' and im definately not interested in flaming a system for any reason other then it's shortcomings, of which the PSP's are numerous. As I said though, probably will get one, only for GTA though. The DS is getting some heavy marketing from Nintendo Australia, which is quite unusual, I suspect the system will do well here, as will the PSP no doubt. The Gamecube is slow in Australia, but not nearly as slow as the Xbox is in Japan, which is a shame, cause I like my Xbox, and Gamecube. The DS isn't about taking over a sector of the gaming industry, thats not what Nintendo's philosophy is. Nintendo's philosophy is on expanding the Gaming industry. Getting new people to become gamers, and catering to a broad base of consumers, who otherwise, may not have ever wanted to play videogames. The DS is the beginning, new markets are being opened, widening the demographic to which games appeal. Sony as the dominant player should be seen as dangerous to clever gamers! And the reason for that is, at the top of their game, instead of being an innovator, and creating new gaming methods and implementing them with their leadership, they instead try to improve on a formula, and take over. So in the end, you will be driving pretty cars in Gran Turismo 23, on Playstation 7, and gaming will be in the same stagnated swamp/racetrack if you like. Instead of offering an impressive piece of gaming innovation, they have pretty much taken a GBA, beefed up the graphics, added a clock radio, and wolah, you have the next best thing to sliced bread!

A good thing about the PSP would be that you can use it as an imitation MP3 player (so I hear). If Nintendo had have incorparated this into their little package then it would have most certainly kicked some serious ass and the PSP would have had no chance. Now I beleive the PSP has some kind of imitation MP3 device, and I beleive that will bring quite a few Sony customers along that would like that idea. But apart from that, the PSP will suck.

Yeah wow, Gran Turismo, I really love taking turns all day, it's really imaginative and fun to drive real cars, never done that! If I wanted a decent racer, I'd get Forza on Xbox, true it's not tested, but whats the difference, you drive, or you drive...
Are you serious? GT is the best simulator that has and probably ever will exist. It's got something like 700 different cars each with true to life characteristics. I can't remember the exact number of track but it's close to 100. Note my use of the word simulator not game.
Instead of offering an impressive piece of gaming innovation, they have pretty much taken a GBA, beefed up the graphics, added a clock radio, and wolah, you have the next best thing to sliced bread!
And the DS a beefed up 80's Donkey Kong hand held dual screen game. "The Bus is now leaving for Donkey Woman Swamp, Victoria"

I have a REAL car, i don't want a driving simulator, how boring. So wonderbus, you enjoy your simulator then, it's coming for PSP (surprise surprise), have fun driving! And yes, the DS is similar in DESIGN to the Game and Watch titles Nintendo made in the early eighties, but thats where the similarity ends. Nebuchanezzar, thats not a good thing at all in my opinion, simply because its simply glossing a poor overall package. For information on the success of the Nintendo DS' launch, go here- http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7050 - apparently it's been the biggest console launch in Australian history, Wow.

I too have a real car but it's kind of hard to do 200Km/h or more anywhere but on a race track and that cost a load more than the PSP and game combined. Don't worry the DS has yet another Mario spin off available. How far can they go with that? Nintendo Game Boy 18S and Mario Vs Luigi Vs Wario Vs Princess whoever Vs that Mushroom thing. Do you see what I am getting at? The success of all gaming systems relies on what people know. The brand and the games. If it wasn't for the Mario series where would Nintendo be? If it wasn't for Sonic where would Sega be, ok they have died but they were there for a long time. And it's the same with PlayStation, if it wasn't for Gran Turismo do you think it would have been as successful? "The Bus is now leaving for Gran West Stud, NSW"

It sets a new benchmark in not only portable gaming, but gaming in general. Further Steve, why on earth would you have an Xbox AND PS2?
I have an XBOX which is mine and My brother bought a PS2 off eBay. NIntendo DS looks cool with the 2 screens, one for touching and the other with the actual game display on it. I'm sure its advanced enough but i really dont have a purpose for it. Im not gonna be sitting down at high school playing little electronic gaming device