now harry's gone lets move on.

Ian

YaY Harry potter is gone, I mean I loved the ride but I am no longer 10, and matrix is more my thing. I have taken loads of photos of Harry Potter and one day will release a guide on this attraction. As for how movieworld is going , the weekend was great 2700 on saturday and 3000 sunday it is quiet cool that even though sars and crap is going around the domestic people are coming to Queensland from around Australia and New Zealand. Because as far as I concerned theses numbers are great for the middle of winter.

Not sure what Seaworld's numbers were, but we were also quite busy all day. Tell ya something, I'm quite glad to see the end of Harry Potter. Maybe I'm not in the correct demographic or something, but it really did nothing for me. Bring on the matrix, I think Movieworld have learnt allot from Harry Potter, and I'm sure it will be a case of '3rd time lucky'

Well, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. That's always been my opinion regarding the replacement of The Young Einstein house with Harry Potter. Now, maybe it has something to do with the fact that Young Einstein is my favorite Australian movie ever, and the fact that I can recite every line of the movie. The fact that over the past 10+ years I've broken two tapes of the movie from overwatching. Or the fact that I contacted Movie World when they shut down Young Einstein (this is like 1999 we're talking), to see if I could get any memorabilia from the attraction. But really, it was a heck of a lot better, in overall quality, and interestingness, than Harry Potter ever was. Granted, the film is now 15 years old, Yahoo Serious turns 50 this year, and hasn't been known as Greg Pead for 23 years, but I think that certainly should have set the standards for Harry Potter, which it definitely didn't. I don't necessarily want Matrix to have a slanted floor and water running uphill, but if the quality and just plain differentness of Young Einstein should be the benchmark for any future attractions that take its place. And if Matrix doesn't work, the walk-through sex attraction sounds like a goer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

They didn't sell any license. Warner Bros. only ever had the rights to three films, the third of which is due out in around a years time. Theme parks and films work on totally different levels - just because a parent company has purchased the film rights, doesn't mean they can stick the same film onto rides or attractions at a park they own (similarly, if I were a shirt manufacturing company and I bought the rights to print Harry Potter shirts, it wouldn't mean I could just go out there and start making my own HP movies). Disney doesn't hold the rights to the movies or future movies. ABC (in America) has bought the rights to show the Warner Bros. movies on TV, which includes some Disney channels, but that's about it. Disney is actually in the early stages of making their own franchise similar to Harry Potter, complete with their own books, TV shows, movies and rides etc., so getting Harry Potter would be a bit of a waste. I know you're a whole lot more informed than us, Cokecool, but I wouldn't exactly call Matrix a filler ride. Firstly, it's not a ride, it's a walkthrough attraction. And by calling it a filler, would suggest it's a cheap attempt to keep people coming until they put in something huge. Yeah - it probably doesn't cost as much as a ride would, but it has just as much value to Movie World as a ride, and will probably result in the same sort of increase in attendance that a ride would.

From the press release:

MATRIX REVEALED will be a walk through experience allowing guests to immerse themselves in the world of the Matrix, brought to life through a mind bending display of original sets, props and artifacts.
As much as I (more than anyone) would like for it to be a ride, it does seem somewhat likely. But hey - we could always go down the "Movie World wants to blow us away with a surprise part of the attraction" route, but you know me, I'm more towards the realist/pessimist end of the spectrum. :D

Perhaps they want to reinforce the building or raise a walkway or perhaps add some really big bit of set. Who knows, but when Movieworld comes out and says its a walk through, you'd think that it'd be a pretty good possibility that it will be a walk through. As for it being filler, well I don't buy that either. Matrix was always going to get an attraction based on it since its been such a good money maker for Village. However, with a down turn in international tourism affecting attendance, then perhaps they've decided to go with a cheaper attraction for now. Don't forget that Paradise Country and Outback Adventure has been delayed by a year due to the weak economy. Add to that Seaworld getting a very expensive major attraction this year, then you see why the cheaper option is the way to go with things the way they are.