Restraints on Wild West Falls?

MARK28

If the ride was operating normally, the riders were of "normal" proportions and riding correctly? No, you probably would not need the restraints. However, the chances of needing the restraints is high enough that IMHO, they are required on that ride. I wouldn't trust people to be riding correctly, and one would suspect that standing up, for example, during the backwards drop bunny hill section could send one flying.

Not many people are that stupid but it coan happen.
Of course there are enough people that will try to do it. The amount of people that stood up on Bush Beast was ridiculous. You just begged them to fall in front of the train... You'd notice it more sitting at Snowy than you would operating Bush Beast of course and when I saw them they felt my wrath! :mad: I'm sure Bus had his fair share of **** knuckles standing up on Bush Beast over the years. People were just screaming out to take advantage and become a casualty of Wally World. Shame more weren't. Dumb turds.

There is one thing all theme parks around the world have in common. It's not the rides or the themeing or anything like that it's the fact that people are stupid. People lose all perspective of what is dangerous and what is not. Standing up on a coaster is like walking along train track, chances are you will be ok but there is always a chance something will go wrong and when it does it is usually catastrophic. Personally I don't think there is such a thing as a redundant safety system on a ride. If it's on the ride it's there for a reason. "The Bus is now leaving for Cape Catastrophe, South Australia"

It is arguable that Bounty's Revenge had a redundant safety system. It is highly possible that the lapbars on Bounty are enough to keep you in the ship, but having said that, again, a person is smart, but people are stupid, and if you were to get an idiot that kept their knees higher up when you lowered the lap bars, then that system would not be effective. I think if anything, the seatbelts were a little redundant, i mean, if the lap bars and the chest harnesses failed, the seatbelts should keep you in your seat, but a lap belt is very easy to come out of, particularly when you're hanging upside down... But as i said, while its arguable, im sure that it was necessary. Taking the incident of the operator who forgot to apply the chest harnesses, and subsequently lost his job, the guests were still ok when they got back down, but only because the lap bars did their job effectively... if the lapbars had've given way, he could have had a few mushed guests there too.

It is arguable that Bounty's Revenge had a redundant safety system. It is highly possible that the lapbars on Bounty are enough to keep you in the ship, but having said that, again, a person is smart, but people are stupid, and if you were to get an idiot that kept their knees higher up when you lowered the lap bars, then that system would not be effective. I think if anything, the seatbelts were a little redundant, i mean, if the lap bars and the chest harnesses failed, the seatbelts should keep you in your seat, but a lap belt is very easy to come out of, particularly when you're hanging upside down... But as i said, while its arguable, im sure that it was necessary. Taking the incident of the operator who forgot to apply the chest harnesses, and subsequently lost his job, the guests were still ok when they got back down, but only because the lap bars did their job effectively... if the lapbars had've given way, he could have had a few mushed guests there too.
That was the reason you idiots were told to keep your feet on the floor, particularly until the lapbars had been locked. I'm fairly convinced the seat belt would have kept guests in had there been a harness failure anyway. Not possible anyhoos. Switchy McSwitch looked after that little possibility. I believe the Bounty's system was failsafe but the belts were still important. Fat arsed bastards had to get the extension. Could be wrong about being failsafe but probably not. Would have made interesting viewing had things gone wrong anyway...

Taking the incident of the operator who forgot to apply the chest harnesses, and subsequently lost his job, the guests were still ok when they got back down, but only because the lap bars did their job effectively... if the lapbars had've given way, he could have had a few mushed guests there too.
Is this chest harness a backup device (e.g. is it the same as the seat belt you were talking about before)? Or is it the primary safety restraint system?

all three systems work in tandem to form the primary restraints. the seatbelt is applied first, and tightened, then the OTSR is pulled down by hand. its not a ratchet click system, it will fall straight down, but once the operator locks the harness, it will close more, but it will not open. its been known to have winded many riders in it's time. The lap bar would be lowered last. the operators would instruct guests to keep their feet flat on the floor, as if they were not flat on the floor, the bar would lock too high. The bars would actually offer minor (sometimes major) pressure on your upper thigh. it would press until it could not press any more, and then it would back off, about half an inch or so. For those unfamiliar with the restrains on bounty, I would describe it as your standard aircraft seatbelt, the lap bar off of Wipeout, and the chest harness horse collar off some weird carnival attraction like "La Bamba" - basically just a steel bar that comes over your shoulder, forms a U-Shape and is coated with a foamrubber style material that perishes and wears badly in the weather and elements.

The seatbelts from Bounty's were aircraft rated. There was some talk about 18 months before close into if they were required or not. After a lot of discussion it was decided that they would be retained. The main reason was that although not necessary they gave riders a sense of comfort, particularly the parents of younger children. My personal opinion is that they should have been removed as they were redundant and they could add up to a minute on to a cycle time. If I saw anyone with their knees up while the lap bars came down or they had a big gap between their legs and the padding I would immediately go and press the button to bring the bars down again. I would do this without warning. If anyone still had a gap I would do it again. After that It would be 'thanks for coming now get off my ride', and I did that quite a few times. There is nothing like kicking someone off a ride especially if they had been waiting for 30 minutes or so. I'm not sure if it has happened recently or not but during the first weeks of Luna Park opening they had a problem with Ranger. On at least two occasions the lap bars opened mid-cycle. The first time was before the park opened during a training session. The second while people were on the ride, thankfully it was only one row that opened and there were no people in that row. "The Bus is now leaving for Ranger Uranium Mine, Northern Territory"