luna parks future

Ian

just a question guys In your own opions do you think Luna park will ever get any new rides in the future or will the park go in the direction of maintain the rides and parks instead. In my own opion I would like to see a huge wooden coaster built and themed to look like it is 100 years old.

As for Sydney's Luna Park. I don't think the chances of it ever seeing another coaster look very good after the "noise problems" of the last Big Dipper (Cyclone). Maybe we will see some new flat rides at Sydney, but that's probably all we can hope for. I think Melbourne's Luna Park, on the other hand, has, if money was invested, some nice open space that could be taken up by some decent rides rather than all carnival types. Personally, I'd love the new Sydney park (which looks like it will focus on stores, cafe's and shows more than rides) to install a replica of the classic River Caves which was at the original park.

Realistically, I see Luna Park Melbourne as a dead end. The park is essentially a mess. The Scenic Railway rides worse than even Bush Beast. A pretty good feat considering its biggest drop is all of about 10 metres. "The bare minimum" by the park's current owners has allowed it to turn into a disgrace. The remaining rides are old carnival rides which look terrible and ride the same. The staff are arrogant and rude (i.e. they have a "no camera rule", so when dad sits down on Scenic Railway in the row in front of his kids to take their picture while still in the station, instead of the attendant kindly asking him to put the camera away, she yells at him and proceeds to start an argument). One thing I will give the park is their food (served from a temporary tent) - best chips I've had in a theme park, and any park that serves Pepsi on tap gets at least one point in my book. But my point is, there is a lot more wrong with this park than meets the eyes, and I'm all for making the most of what you've already got before going out for new things (of course that means binning all of their existing flat rides) - a lesson some certain Gold Coast parks could learn. As for Sydney, I doubt we'll ever see new rides there beyond the Wild Mouse and other flat rides that are to be included in the rebuilding. I think if they took another shot at it, they could get a decent coaster in the park - I've thought about this a lot, and believe it could work very well. An Intamin hyper-twister style ride (not necessarily 200ft, but the key elements of a twister), using the silent elevator lift to peak, and filling the supports with sand and use isolator pads (as on Xcelerator and California Screaming), and you've got a silent ride. A well signposted rule that you can't scream on the ride would be enough for 90% of people (presumable the other 10% are the same ones that enjoy engraving their intials into the air ducts in Cyclone's queue, or rip off the paint in Scooby Doo's queue). Make the ride circumnavigate the park, with station etc to the cliff side of the park, so that'd be the "slow sections", and undercover, so virtually silent. With the majority of drops, overbanks, and general excitements of the ride on the left side, screams would mostly occur over there. Make it two loops around the park, and have as much of the cliff-side in tunnels or with reflectors or something (as with GhostRider), and you've got a ride that is certainly quieter than the ferries going past that should be rerouted to stop waking the yuppies at 6AM (not that that sort of lifestyle up in those awesome units wouldn't appeal to me :)). You'd have limited hours (10-5/6PM), maybe more leeway on weekends, and that in theory should work. Because of the nature of Intamin track and minimal supports, they could be spaced in and out of everything that they plan to build, with track going silently above. By the way, the track is white, as are the supports. Give it a cool name (how about Screaming Railway - that just came into my head then), and you've got a ride that is 100x better than Big Dipper, with theoretically none of the complaints (like that has ever happened in the history of mankind - the yuppies complained that Jesus' cross disrupted their view).

Guest boycotta

well its impossible at luna park sydney. there is no room otherwise yes they would. i have always kept in contact with them and there $72 million redevelopment including cafes and hotels and an underground carpark and a circus ect is enough. i would prefer more rides though.

boy oh boy oh boy, when will you young ppl learn that there is no such word as impossible in the dictonary that the designers of rides and parks use. The ride will not be built, IN MY OPION, because of the screams of the riders. The noise of the ride was never an issue at Luna Park Sydney, more the screams of the riders bugging the new owners of the new appartments built near the park. The plans for the referb are to make the park into more of a family style with low impact rides as per there application to the Sydney City Council for the redevelopment. But I never siad that we should stop wishing Richo, and I too would love to see a hyper at Luna, just don't think that it will happen.

Yeah, obviously, that ride will never happen. Not because of space though, it'd be the noise (which my solution tries to combat). A ride could very easily be designed to be largely "on top" of the park, with supports squeezed in in free spots (Intamin's triangular and box truss tracks require significantly less support). The park's taking a different style when it reopens, with emphasis on entertainment and culture rather than thrill rides as with the previous encarnation. We'll still have the wooden Wild Mouse, thankfully, which is identical to the Aussie World ride (both are the standard Schwarzkopf design), and I'll vouch is certainly a quality ride.

Apparently there are plans to reintroduce the River Caves ride into the park at some point. What about a partially enclosed mine train ride....put it on the cliff side utilising the tunnels...intersperse it with the River Caves ride and you would have 2 attractions and rides that would make it worthwhile to visit Luna park. Couple this with the Luna Circus and the other flat rides , and you would have a fun place to visit!! I maintain that Luna Park should have bought Rail Chase from Sega World when it closed down....they could have got it for a bargain price!!. Add this to the atmosphere of Luna Park ( which IMHO is or was the best of any park in OZ-there is something about riding at night and looking over that magnificent harbour!!) and Luna Park would be an excellent small fun fair to visit!! I think Luna Park Sydney would benefit enormously from the introduction of a River caves ride that could be similar to Bermuda Triangle or Wild West Falls and the introduction of a enclosed Mine train ride like Eureka at Dreamworld. These could be quite easily fit into Luna Parks small area and would greatly enhance its viability Comments?? Luna Park in Melbourne however is another story. For such a place steeped in history it is run pathetically. There is no regard to the unique place that Luna Park Melbourne holds in Australian theme park history. If they invested some money properly, they have the room to mark the past respectfully( by fully restoring the Scenic Railway-retracking etc) and moving forward(Installing a new Woodie like the old Big Dipper which was tragically torn down under extenuating circumstances). New rides could mark the past as well as the future...(who would love to see a new Giggle Palace complete with all that todays technology has to offer? or a new River Caves ride like Wild West Falls??) Still if they get a new coaster its a start but for the most part Melbournians have had to put up with second best!! Cheers Jobe

There are some great photos of the River Caves and descriptions in a book I have (details of it at the end). The River Caves was a water boat ride (Think Tunnel Of Love). It was huge with people who went on dates to the park (private time alone in the dark). It consisted of travelling through all sorts of themed environments. Most of them were constructed with chicken mesh, plaster, paint and horse hair in the early days. They had animal environments, rainforest style environments, toy shops etc. It was basically an early version of Disney's 'Small Small World' attraction. If you can get a copy of this book, it is the most complete history of Luna Park in Melbourne VIC, Glenelg SA, and Sydney NSW that I know of. I got mine from the Luna Park Shop when Sydney was open but some book stores may be able to order it in. The book that has heaps of information is, "Luna Park - Just For Fun" by Sam Marshall 1995. It was published for the Luna Park Reserve Trust by Chapter & Verse. It's a must if you're interested in a detailed history of the place and it's rides.

Thanks for that.. what book stores would you think might be able to order it in? I was thinking that the river caves ride was more like an old version of Bermuda Triangle at Sea World.. but a love boat ride.. scary to think what people really do in there and if they really cared for the theming :P Thanks, ~Flea :)

From what I've seen it had a lot of animal environments, with tiger models etc. Angus and Robertson or Dymocks might be able to order it via the web. Or big chains, such as Borders may be able to get it in. I know, book stores couldn't find mine when I tried to get it, so it might be best to try the publishers to find out if it's still in print: Chapter & Verse 18 Mitchell Street McMahons Point NSW 2060 Hope this helps :)

Hmm... I didn't get a chance to ride the Scenic Railway due to it being in annual maintenance on the days I was in Melbourne earlier this year... Though, I agree they need to step forward. I too would love it if they replaced that stock-standard steel portable with a proper woodie. Also, I did think that there wasn't a lot to do there, I think we only spent a few hours in the park. Also I would'nt know about the food either, as we went to one of the places on Akland St. As for Sydney, I think if they installed a dark-ride type coaster it would be alright, just make sure that the walls have some sort of sound-proofing in them.

Flea you have to remember that the River Caves ride was installed in 1935-it was in fact one of the original rides to be installed in Luna Park Sydney and in fact madethe transitional move from Glenelg in South Australia. Yes it was a Tunnel of love type ride but for people of the day they were transported to another world-Deepest Darkest Africa, Toyland etc. In fact it was the park's second most popular ride after the Big Dipper. The River Caves ride was torn down and sold in job lots after the Ghost train fire of '79-sometime in 1980 I would think. Luna Park Melbourne had their own River Caves ride(Remember they were essentially the same park except for some minor ride differences). It was deemed unsafe due to it being considered unfireproof.and as a consequence it was torn down in 1982. A tragic loss as its historical value was not realised at the time. Luna Park Melbourne's Big Dipper followed suit in 1989 and this is even a more sad event than the demise of the River Caves. The Dipper was torn down ,again for safety reasons, even though a heritage order had been slapped on the structure. Its passing (9 years after the Sydney Big Dipper) brought to an end both Luna Park's love affair with Woodies( I think theywere built by the Philadelhia Toboggan Co). They both looked like an exciting ride and one that I fervently wish i could ride today!! It is especialy frustrating as the Melbourne Big Dipper could have and should have been saved.(It was a deal that was sweetend by the fact that Luna Park Melbourne were promised the Titan from Expo Park in Brisbane but this never eventuated and the ride went to Wonderland as The Demon.) Its historical value today would be inestimable. A tragic, sad loss for Australian theme park History. However I am sure that if they ever do build a "new" River Caves ride it would be the modern equivalent..as has been stated before like Bermuda Triangle and Wildwest Falls. I hope one day it is installed. As for Sam Marshall's book Luna Park- Just for Fun it was commissioned for publication for the re-opening Of Luna Park in '95. I am sure it is out of print and that it would be unavailble form bookstores as it was only available for sale at the park. Although containing some fantastic photos of the park in its Heydey, it is far from the what i would call the definetive publication on Luna Park. However it is unfortunately in all my years of searching the only real book or source of information on Luna Park. And this includes the Internet as both official sites(Melbourne and Sydney) view on previoushistory is sketchy at best. Maybe one day I will create a site that would be worthy of all the wonderful history that both Luna Park's have to offer.....the cavalcade of rides that passed through them both deserves to be catalogued at the very least!!! Nowadays I would love nothing more than to see both Luna Parks enjoy a healthy rebirth. This includes campaigning for a new Coaster(whatever the type) to replace the Metropolis in Melbourne and see it gain some quality flat rides and also to see the re-introduction of the River caves and a Indoor -Themed mine car coater cum Ghost Train ride in Sydney. Both plans would be excellent IMHO and would be a great precursor to a rise in popularity for both parks. :D Comments??? :?: Cheers Jobe If any one else has any questions about Luna park dont hesitate to ask I will do my utmost to answer them for you!!!

Although containing some fantastic photos of the park in its Heydey, it is far from the what i would call the definetive publication on Luna Park. However it is unfortunately in all my years of searching the only real book or source of information on Luna Park.
Someone told me that North Sydney Library (I think that's where it is) has a pretty good source of information on the park and stocks old media on the park (photos etc.) I've never had the chance to check if this is true, has anyone ever had a look through there?

Once again Flea you to have a look at the times that The River Caves was around-in the late 30's and early forties Luna park was the one place to go to meet a girl and the chance to cuddle one real close in the relative privacy of the River Caves was too tempting. I t might seem tame to you now( I presume you arent that old) but then it was considered one the "in thinga to do. And even now I am sure if the River Caves were still in existence they would retain a certain amount of rustic charm and would still be considered a great family ride.Sure the themed environments would look quite tacky by 2days standards but that would still be a part of their overall appeal. I have heard that North Sydney Library is an excellent source of articles and information on Luna. In fact much of Sam Marshall's book owes alot to North Sydney Library. As yet i havent had a chance to go and research for myself but I will endeavour to do so one of these days!!! So we await and see if the current re-incarnation of Luna will cut the grade. I still feel it needs another major ride(be it indoor coaster etc River Caves ride) to be viable.Time will tell- and I sincerely hope that it does!!! Cheers ;) Jobe

• 4 months later...

Welcome along Chippy. :) Good to know that we've got a date. Even better to know that I'll be down that way taking the coast road (very subtle reference to a song by David Lane... doubt we've got many fans of his here though :)) for fun and coasters in April. That gives me something else to do in Sydney, which is always good. This is a $72 mil investment by the owners - compare that to the tiny $10 mil that was spent in Melbourne's park, turning a sad old park into a sad old park with a crapload of bitumen and bad rides. I think we might get something decent out of this - even if the majority doesn't go into rides, we're going to get a very pretty little park down by the harbour.

A lot of people are saying the addition of the Luna Circus will be great for the park. Honestly I think that it is a bad substitution for The Big Dipper. I agree with most people that they had missed a great ride in Rail Chase from Sega World in which it could be housed in a building which could be sound proofed, thus muting the screams of people having a good time to satisfy the wankers that live above the park. I think that the Circus will not attract the general ride going public. I predict that the park will be full of suited wankers sipping coffee in their cafes which is what they are essentially making the park into. coasterfreak

Their target market is not really going to be ride-goers anyway. As the park is so small and constantly plagued with complaints from neighbours it would not really be realistic for them to try and compete with modern theme parks (just look at the last version of the park which tried to aim at that market but was riddled with problems). Imagine the nightmarish time they would have even trying to get approval from local authorities to add a new ride every so often. I think it's great that they are still going to have some sort of rollercoaster however, even if it is just the tiny wild mouse. Mind you though, I love that particular mouse, especially the way it is situated so that the corners overlook the harbour. The Luna Circus looks to be completed already and I think it looks great. The roof is a massive yellow and white striped canvas. I'm not sure what material it is made from but it looks very permanent while still retaining the old tent 'big top' feel. I believe it will be used for other shows too, not just circuses.

I agree with you coasterfreak and I think they should put a new custom lopping coaster in the park or put in a boomerang (demon) like at wonderland because that dont make that much noise. mrgreen

The issue with Big Dipper wasn't the noise that the ride created. I mean, it's a relatively quiet ride (still pretty noisey as you'd imagine though), but the issue was with the noise that riders made from what I've gathered. As I see it, Luna Park won't go back to the true amusement park style park ever again. Though I certainly think there are ways that some of the most exciting rides available could be installed without disrupting the neighbours, it just won't happen.