Plans for end of 2006

the_worker

while both have good points, bear in mind that Sea World have been harboring "Pig" as a recuperation effort. While they have built him a permanent display tank to showcase him to the park, they may still not be permitted to keep him in captivity forever. Its possible sea world has built this tank to utilise him as an attraction to make some money on what would surely be a costly expense in helping him recover. They may also be using these 2 years to give PIG an intensive program to adapt him back into the wild, for an eventual release. "Pig"'s current home is a show tank that is well over 10 years old, so its about due for removal... there could be something to this rumor... but there could be nothing to it as well...

I am not exactly certain where this guy got his info from. He has worked there for a number of years. To me, it just wouldn't make sense to have a River ride or any sort of ride right up the front, against the entry. Sometimes when I am working on Skyway (The station at the front) it is absoutley dead quiet. Might actually give us something to do while we are there. ;) Although it is usually very busy first thing in the morning.

To me, it just wouldn't make sense to have a River ride or any sort of ride right up the front, against the entry.
I agree with you there, but where else can sea world build except out towards the car park? there isnt really very much usable land left on the site, which is why when they build something new, they remove something old... take the waterpark, take bermudalasseters... there isnt much land they can utilise in the park left, unless they... build over the top of the ski lake remove the ski lake remove the dolphin lakes behind endeavour expand out towards the carpark (ala disneyland)

Wow, so many points here. Lets dive right in here shall we?

Sea World would not demolish Dugong Discovery, it has only been open for couple of months.
Well, that's true, but don't forget that the building has been around since the mid 80's now, and some of the infrastructure has seen better days. Having said that, after just spending $1million on doing it up for pig, its looking good enough that its not urgently needing replacement.
bear in mind that Sea World have been harboring "Pig" as a recuperation effort. While they have built him a permanent display tank to showcase him to the park, they may still not be permitted to keep him in captivity forever. Its possible sea world has built this tank to utilise him as an attraction to make some money on what would surely be a costly expense in helping him recover. They may also be using these 2 years to give PIG an intensive program to adapt him back into the wild, for an eventual release.
Pig has been released once, and lost a good deal of weight very quickly. Its in Pig's best interest that he stays at Sea World, as in the past its been clear that he just can't do it out there. Realistically as well, one individual animal isn't going to be the difference between the species surviving or becoming extinct. Pig's role at Sea World is to be the ambassador for Dugongs in the wild. People who see these animals in captivity have more of an empathy for there cousins in the wild. Most people don't even know what a Dugong is, so to have one that people can see, relate to, and learn about is a very important step in making people aware of their plight in the wild. From a business point of view, I don't think Pig will ever turn a profit. He is one of the most expensive animals to have in the park, as his feeding is labour intensive, he has full time carers, and he does eat allot of food. Pig is there because its the best thing for Pig, and its best for Dugongs as a whole. I think for that reason (Depending on Pig's own health) we can expect to see Pig for quite a while in the park.
To me, it just wouldn't make sense to have a River ride or any sort of ride right up the front, against the entry. Sometimes when I am working on Skyway (The station at the front) it is absoutley dead quiet. Might actually give us something to do while we are there.
One reason is it might help to spread the crowds more evenly over the course of the day. As anyone who works there would know, the top of the park is pretty much dead between 1.15pm and about 4pm. Maybe having a ride at that end of the park would encourage people to stay up the top and take some of the stress off Plaza and the central rides area. Since this is a pretty unreliable rumour, I'm just going to go nuts and link it up with another old unreliable rumour: "Bermuda is getting replaced soon". Does it make sense that Bermuda's HUGE footprint could be better used by other rides in the middle of the park (You could probably fit 2 or 3 on there pretty easy)? Perhaps, but that still leaves the problem of finding a new home for Pig, new turtle rehabilitation pools, a new spot for the carpenters and workshop, new special events storage sheds, new warehouse, as well as new offices for HR, Marine Sciences, Education, and training. Not all of this stuff can be simply moved to Movieworld or into the top offices.

Have just heard word around work (Sea World) that Dugong Discovery and the HR building will be demolished at the end of 2006 to make way for a new river ride. Not sure how reliable the source is, but it is just a rumor I heard in the lunch room the other day.
Lunch room 'information' is always a reliable source if ever there was one. One I heard was that Blinky Bill and Skippy got up to some hanky panky in the back room during the show. Wait that was true, except the guys didn't do it during the show. "The Bus is now leaving for Koala Nynma Rockhole, Western Australia"

The rumor been around for a few years now at the parks ever since water coaster where invented. The biggest problem is getting permission to use the broadwater next to the park which is a hard issue to pass. so lets just keep it a rumor now as for pig in 4 years pig will be to big for the tank he is in and will then need to be relocated this was stated at the press opening.