They're back (the residents)

Looks like the residents are back again in Sydney trying to force the closure of LPS. A media shoot was just completed at the park featuring the Premier. I believe it has something to do with Ranger, but as we all know, one ride closure may result in the closure of the park. LPS has government backing, and i doubt very much it will close. Fore more info check out the 6pm news.

im 60/40 on this issue, unfortunetly 60% of me is saying, damn you residents, seriously get over it, you would have known of the consequences long before you moved in! 40% of me is saying (and I know ill get critisized) get the Ranger outta there, fix it up (mainly one of the hydro motors) and get it out onto the road, its very profitable, and would do awesome at the shows chris..

Did anybody watch the news? Bob Carr made an announcement at the park that he has introduced new legislation to stop North Sydney Council from attempting to close the rides due to noise. Great news for Luna Park. There were lots of shots of Bob Carr at the Ranger and it looked like they were showing him how to operate it

hey guys new here (you'll find out more about me later :) ) yes indeedy this happened as my folks were there today and saw bob carr, the announcement and all the rest. They said the mayor of north sydney was complaining about LPS on a loud speaker blah blah blah and bob car got up and said something like "listen, mayors change often, so you can't be in control of something that can comflict with your personal intrests" ( i guesse meaning closing LPS so their own land prices go up). But anyway it's looking good! Time for some noisy rides to move back in! ;-) Also my folks said the park was dead so people try and get out there!

Here are the links to the articles about Bob Carr's decision on Luna Park. Daily Telegraph News.com.au SMH article 1 SMH article 2 Also from SMH is this little article. Bob jumps ship Bob Carr may be the tough-talking Premier of NSW, but when it comes to Luna Park's controversial Ranger ride, he's a little squeamish. Yesterday he was at the fun park to announce a special regulation to stop North Sydney Council taking legal action over the noise generated by the Ranger - a kind of dry-land pirate ship that swings on a pendulum until it turns completely upside down. As it swings, it makes a mechanical grinding noise accompanied by screams, which apparently upset the residents of nearby apartments. Despite being urged by journalists to join them for a quick thrill, Carr chose the more stately role of pushing the stop and go button - something he likes to do with the media. Looks like Mr Carr is a chicken as well as a bad premier. "The Bus is now leaving for Chicken Spring, South Australia"

Despite being urged by journalists to join them for a quick thrill, Carr chose the more stately role of pushing the stop and go button - something he likes to do with the media.
Very disappointing... considering his Government authority Workcover states that employees must be sufficiently trained to operate such amusement devices.

Very disappointing... considering his Government authority Workcover states that employees must be sufficiently trained to operate such amusement devices.
On the news you could see a staff member standing right next to Bob Carr who was doing most of the operating. It seemed like he was just getting Bob to push the occasional button for effect. In that case you could say that Bob Carr was in training... he had not been left alone to operate the ride by himself. That'd be a scary thought

so, does anyone think this will bring a few more rides to LPS? Also i remember the old ranger that was at LPS had 2 "ships" didn't it?
:confused: Um, er. Well, no, unless your talking about a long time ago, I have no idea what was at LPS back in the 70's and such. But I'm pretty sure that the Ranger that they have now has been their only one in these modern LP days. And the Ranger they have now can't even have two ships, unless some severe modifications were done to it.

Its a bit of a hard situation i think. I mean i can sure feel for the residents and the noise that comes from the place. But the real question is what would you do with the place should it be closed? i mean your never going to be able to build anything on it....and if i owned one of the appartments next to it id rather look over a park that was open and maintained rather then an inner city wasteland. and then of course if its closed youll have other problems, vandals and squatters etc...if a small amount of noise was to prevent that i think thats a fair trade off. Unfortunatelly its just one of those parks thats in a very bad place now due to more recent development of the area, and there is not much that can be done to fix that.

On the news you could see a staff member standing right next to Bob Carr who was doing most of the operating. It seemed like he was just getting Bob to push the occasional button for effect. In that case you could say that Bob Carr was in training... he had not been left alone to operate the ride by himself. That'd be a scary thought
Even if he was "in training" it is doubtful that he had undergone site induction which is required before any ride specific training is undertaken. Therefore what Mr Carr was doing was illegal. It's funny the man doesn't have his drivers licence but is happy to operate a piece on machinery that could kill dozens of people. "The Bus is now leaving for Saint Johns Ambulance Training Centre, Victoria"

LPS are extemely on the ball with ALL visitors to the site in terms of site induction whatever they are doing. I would therefore they would have given people a briefing including Mr Carr. Can I just say you all really need a life if you are concerned with him pussing a bloody button on a panel with an Op. standing next to him? Like he has the resposibility of an entire state, I'm sure he can deal with a couple dozen people on ranger. The dispatching of the ride is hardly the dangerous part, its the ensuring of everyones safety and monitoring the ride which the Op. would have been doing. Come on they let any moron be a ride Op., just look at half of them. As for the residents, HELLO THEY MOVED IN THERE! Get over it! Stop buying houses next to airports, theme parks and live venues and then complaining that they are there... rant off!

I agree. Who gives a monkey's ring hole if he pushed the 'Start' button? The other safety checks etc were completed by the operator and all Boofhead Bob did was press a single button, exactly the same way the operator would have. It's not as though he prepared the ride for dispatch...

LPS are extemely on the ball with ALL visitors to the site in terms of site induction whatever they are doing. I would therefore they would have given people a briefing including Mr Carr.
Okay can you explain the site induction process they use?
Can I just say you all really need a life if you are concerned with him pussing a bloody button on a panel with an Op. standing next to him?
Djrappa were you a ride operator? Have you had the responsibility of ensuring the safety on the hundreds or thousands of people you deal with everyday. If so you might then understand the seriousness of 'pressing a bloody button'.
Come on they let any moron be a ride Op., just look at half of them  
I looked at them. They seem like normal people to me. How dare you speak about their ride ops so bluntly.