Out-Of-Parks rides.

Whombex

I'm pretty sure most of you have heard of (or been on) High Roller , the Las Vegas Roller Coaster built on the Startosphere Tower. To me the concept of a Roller Coaster, or Thrill Ride, built outside of a Park, in an unusual location, is very interesting. I was wondering where in Australia, (no limits!) you'd like to see a Coaster/Thrill ride. A Giant Drop on top of Gold Coast's Q1? Sure! A coaster in an abandoned Opal/Coal mine in western Qld? Why not! So what/where would you put a ride/coaster, free of a theme park, in Australia??? Single person flying coaster over Sydney Harbour Bridge? Abusurd but worth imagining! Creative juices flowing please, people!

I think a free fall on Q1 would be way too intense :) I had that idea too actually. How about a coaster set atop Sydney harbour bridge? It launches up the crest, then after going down the crest it slows down as it levels out, before it goes into a backwards launch the same way. The ride would have great views, a fast launch, with great positive and negative g's. looks at Gazza

You asked for it. For my home town, i thought of putting a freefall ride on our telecommunications tower in the middle of town, it reaches a height of 88m so its pretty big already, and the tower has an observation deck on it about halfway up reached by steel stairs to the top, the top part is a metal deck with a roof and dirty windows, and is full of graffiti and is used for drugs, so I generally steer clear, which is a shame since it has great potential, but enough talk about the actual structure, my idea was to put a freefall ride down the side. The track wouldnt be vertical due to the towers shape, but it would be cool. In fact, any sort of tall building could be a candidate for a drop ride, or maybe one of the towers on the bolte bridge could be good too once they reclaim the land around the base. Another idea could be to build not just a coaster, but a whole park in a quarry, i think there could be a possible site for something like this beside the Princess Fwy at Little River, it would be so nice having this bowl shaped park in a quarry, with trees all around with a central feature in the middle, the coasters would all start in the middle of the park and go up the sides of the quarry before doing a u turn and completing a fast downhill run back into the middle of the park. Another one of my crazy ideas was an Inverted coaster that went around my school wrapping around the buildings. Maybe it would just be cool to have a coaster go around a CBD, like how the monorail goes around the Sydney CBD. In melbourne the coaster could start near QV and just run down the streets attached to the sides of buildings, with linear elements like vertical loops, barrel rolls, launches and airtime hills making up the bulk of the ride. Hmm why not extend the system into a whole coaster public transport system, i mean everyone finds commuting a grind, so why not make it fun.

ive actually thought about a launched coaster with two way operation - two stations, one at each end of the track, with a turnaround before the station so the track is one continuous loop. Station 1 - Sydney Central Station 2 - Parramatta Westfield powered launch, with boosters situated along the circuit, loops, twists, banked curves, all the usual elements, and each carseat has a storage compartment that you can put personal belongings in. Ride the coaster the full circuit, or do Parramatta-Sydney in under 10 minutes, do some light shopping, and take it all the way back again at the end of the day....

ive actually thought about a launched coaster with two way operation - two stations, one at each end of the track, with a turnaround before the station so the track is one continuous loop. Station 1 - Sydney Central Station 2 - Parramatta Westfield powered launch, with boosters situated along the circuit, loops, twists, banked curves, all the usual elements, and each carseat has a storage compartment that you can put personal belongings in.   Ride the coaster the full circuit, or do Parramatta-Sydney in under 10 minutes, do some light shopping, and take it all the way back again at the end of the day....
Bah, people don't usually go into Sydney to do some light shopping, they go there to do heavy shopping. Even when they have the intention of only buying a couple of small items, they'd most likely come back with quite a bit more luggage than they wanted. Storage would also be a problem on that ride, where to put the new T-Shirt you just brought, the storage compartment you speak of would most likely be used for wallets and the like. The idea of a high speed rail link between Parramatta and Sydney isn't bad though. Scotts idea of a roller-coaster going over the harbour bridge I like a lot. It'd be hella fun, give great views, offer some nice feeling in terms of g-forces (if you went over at the right speed), in fact, I love the idea!

Storage would also be a problem on that ride, where to put the new T-Shirt you just brought, the storage compartment you speak of would most likely be used for wallets and the like.
Jim, your narrow mindedness never ceases to amaze me. Just because it is a coaster train, it doesnt mean its not capable of hauling a bit of extra luggage. I was talking about a storage compartment more along the lines of something the size of a backpack.. or better yet, why not tack on an extra car to the train JUST for luggage? like you see those trailers that are hitched onto the back of the minibuses... Something the size, shape and height of a coaster car would hold a reasonable amount of luggage... As far as Sydney shopping not being light shopping, the prices in the City are a lot higher. trust me if i have to go to the city to buy something, THATS ALL i buy. I am not going to buy anything else there that I dont have to, because i can get it much cheaper nearer to home...

Yeah, those waterslides are ok, but not as nice as the one that goes into the Ovens river at Bright, a very nice out of park setting. I wonder if Centerpoint could really be used for a coaster? it managed to hold up those big metal coasters, so i think a simpler roller coaster track could be possible, maybe the track could be inverted as it would be quite cool being up there with no floor. Another idea for a "ride" as you might call it, is to get a Zorb ball and roll down the fire stairs of a tall building, you could use the freight lift to bring the ball back to the top.

I heard about those Zorba things....weird. I had an idea for a ride where there is a 5 seater gondala attached to the track like a normal freefall, and it's launched up, then over a large arc, then it freefalls back down. The gondala would be attached so that it didn't end upside down as it freefalled. The ride would give a similar feeling to a Huss Rainbow, except with better views and more intensity. There would be a gondala running on either side to help with capacity. You could stick that on the harbour bridge too :) Although on a bridge there would be too much of the ride travelling to the side, which means too many lateral g's.

I like Gazza's "Public Transport" system... and the Quarry Park! I made a RCT2 scenario based around a Quarry! Imagine the rides going into the cliffside as well at the climbing ones, there could even be a water feature (IE a Pit in the Quarry?) for splashes! Of course I neglected to add a "Melbourne Cab ride" to my original post, those scary rides already exist! I'd like to see a real mine turned into a coaster. You could have crevaces/shafts for drops/inversions/launched climbs, and some totally dark sections to add confusion/disorientation. I'd see more of a normal coaster with a train/cars (20 passengers) more so than old mine cars (4 passengers). Remember this is for letting imaginations run wild, we're not here to discuss fesability!

How about something for the new "Soul" building on the Gold Coast??? It's gonna be the 'highest residential building in the world' or something like that, why not have something spectacular to ride on as well. There was a movie I saw, don't remember the name, where there was a coaster (mad-mouse car) that 'crashed' out of an upper-level window and proceeded to free-fall down the side of the building. Looked like great fun. And the ride ended up saving peoples live in the end lol.