Space Probe Intruder

zordmaker

Ch 9 News Sat 12/3/05 reported an incident that happened on the same day at Space Probe in the defunct Wonderland site. An intruder deliberately broke into the site, gained entry to the probe and climbed it with the intent of abseiling down it. However he came a cropper halfway down and had to be rescued. I can understand this happening as dropping ropes down from the hat can be a perilous experience, having done it myself several times in the past to hoist heavy equipment up to the hat which could not fit through the neck door at the bottom. Even the slightest breeze would pick up the rope and drag it wildly out from the tower, regardless of whether it had a 50kg rack of equipment on it. I can think of at least one time that an item was dropped (a bag of hand tools). ZordMaker

An intruder deliberately broke into the site
Pretty tough to accidentally break into somewhere...
An intruder deliberately broke into the site, gained entry to the probe and climbed it with the intent of abseiling down it. However he came a cropper halfway down and had to be rescued.
Fool. I can assure you, he'll be adequately charged. If I was there, he'd have been shot on site. BANG BANG 'Stop or I'll shoot!' BANG.
I can think of at least one time that an item was dropped (a bag of hand tools).
I can think of a time when a pair of pliers 'fell from the sky'. I bet the crater is still in the concrete today. Good thing no one was killed. Of course, it was covered up.... Rules for some... (Statute Barred that one... :P)

In todays Sunday Telegraph (13/3/05 p3):

A STUNT turned into a complicated emergency rescue when a man fell 15m inside the Space Probe7 ride at the defunct theme park, Australia's Wonderland. The man, 30, was rushed to Westmead hospital conscious but, with suspected spinal injuries at 6.30am yesterday. He told ambulance officers that he and his female friend intended to climb the 65m ride to take photos. They crawled inside the Probe's narrow shaft and had climbed 25m to an interior platform, but the man fell on a platform 10m below.
I''d like to see the photos ;-)

It's amazing how after all this time they still call it "Space Probe 7" and "Australia's Wonderland".....
Rebranding the park was one of the stupidest things i've seen Sunway do to that park. The thinking behind it was that everyone was going to the gold coast to visit wonderland, but very few people would have actually done that in comparison to the total attendance. "You'll Always Remember Wonderland Sydney?" sorry - not a chance - its always gunna be Australia's Wonderland to me. the memories I have of Australia's Wonderland far exceed that of "Wonderland Sydney".

Awesome....i mean apart from the guy getting hurt what a cool thing to do. Ive always thought it would be great to climb up the inside of that thing and see what its like.. Well done mate!!! And a speedy recovery too! :D  :D  :D
You're a toolbox. I'll remind you of the offences of 'Trespass' and 'Enter Enclosed Lands'. Too bad he didn't splat himself like the pliers! That would have made much better reading.