SMH Article today -Disney looking at western suburbs...

Skipper

Mickey Mouse watch on west Western Sydney could house a new outpost of the Disney empire, with an amusement park and resort modelled on Disneyland. Disney said it was looking at international sites for a theme park, including 30 hectares at Prospect near Blacktown. "We are evaluating different markets around the world as part of our growth strategy," a spokeswoman for the US company said. However, the spokeswoman said that no decision had been made about the site, which the state government released for development as a zoo, water park or amusement park last monday. It was unlikely anything would be considered before September when Disney opened an amusement park in Hong Kong, she said. Last week, the Minister for Western Sydney, Diane Beamer invited expressions on interest in the Prospect site. She said documents had been sent out in answer to the 22 expressions of interest so far. "Expressions of interest closes on March 24 and the department will be assessing them from that date," she said. Ms Beamer had no comment on whether Disney had made one of those 22 requests. Bonnie Malkin I know it doesnt really say anything new but I say where theres smoke.... The journo must have some lead to be following this story through.....

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

around the world as part of our growth strategy," a spokeswoman for the US company said. However, the spokeswoman said that no decision had been made about the site, which the state government released for development as a zoo, water park or amusement park last monday. It was unlikely anything would be considered before September when Disney opened an amusement park in Hong Kong, she said.
I did read you post im just thinking the radio report was wrong as above it shows what the spokeswoman said. but if im wrong and your right ill be the first to admit it and apoligise! and also jumping for joy :D

I too hope that the report is true, but it seems strange that on the same day as reports come out that Disney has made no decision on its next location in both the SMH and Telegraph, that Mix is now running with the decision already being made. I think it would just be a case of the reporters at Mix being a little bit over anxious, and paraphrasing. I doubt anything has been confirmed yet. Also to be taken into consideration, the cut off for expressions of interest for the 30ha isnt until March 24, so it makes it all a bit suspicious. I hope I'm wrong, but we will soon find out I guess! Cheers

If Disney hopes to be successful in Australia, they have to develop a new style for the themepark to suit Australia, because people can go to a generic clone of the "traditional" Disney park in several locations around the world already. Any Australian Disney park would have to be unique and given an Australiana theme for example so that international tourists would choose to go to the Australian Disney park over all of the other ones in existence. However this I suppose would make it less of a Disney park.

I think it'd be a bit sad for Disney to choose the site Diane Beamer is promoting in Western Sydney. It is in Prospect for goodness sake. Doesn't sound like a very good location. And 30 hectares really is pretty weak. I don't understand why Blacktown Council are promoting this particular parcel of land as a possible theme park considering its relatively small size? It would certainly not leave much room for future expansion. Surely there are other larger, more appropriate areas of land still available for this sort of thing

It is in Prospect for goodness sake. Doesn't sound like a very good location.
Actually the 30ha site has a lot of PROSPECTs. Personally, any PROSPECTive buyer would benefit from opening a tourist destination there. (Personally, PROSPECT "SOUNDS" like a GREAT location.... given the above description...)

It was also reported on Nova 96.9 in Sydney. Basically they were saying Disney were looking at coming to Prospect one minute and the next they were reporting that they had done a deal (not in as many words). "The Bus is now leaving for Nova South Australia"