SMH Article today -Disney looking at western suburbs...

Skipper

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The land that the NSW government is looking at is Between Great western Highway Prospect and Elizabeth drive Cecil Hills it is definately big enough to hold a Disney park resort,However the NSW government wants to keep some of that land free for parklands,picnic areas and cycling trails.This would be a sticking point with Disney as they would want to have all the land so they would be able to expand and grow in the future. Personally i would like to see a Sixflags or a Cedarfair run establishment.These companies would be bring the coasters that i want.

Dude, we wouldn't, your basing that on the fact 1 Six Flags park bought one, then sued them because it didnt work, so i dont think its much of a possiblity. SF may have good coasters in some of their parks, but many of their overseas parks arent much better than what we have. Also, you need to remember that SF tends not to be as nice as other park operators, think about it this way, DW has good rides, but fails to deliver on the operational side of things, and SF seems to have similar problems. Cedar fair I'd be happy with since their parks are nice and seem to have only good said about them. But the operators I would most like to see are any of the TV/Film company parks, or a Tussauds park since they have good themeing.

The land that the NSW government is looking at is Between Great western Highway Prospect and Elizabeth drive Cecil Hills it is definately big enough to hold a Disney park resort,However the NSW government wants to keep some of that land free for parklands,picnic areas and cycling trails.This would be a sticking point with Disney as they would want to have all the land so they would be able to expand and grow in the future.
That area you describe is a hell of a lot bigger than 30 hectares. There is also the problem of the reservoir, the race track, dump, Regional Park, equestrian centre and heaps of private land in that corridor. I was looking at the UBD today and there is very few places that it can be in. "The Bus is now leaving for Artipena Manganese Prospects, South Australia"

That area you describe is a hell of a lot bigger than 30 hectares.  There is also the problem of the reservoir, the race track, dump, Regional Park, equestrian centre and heaps of private land in that corridor.  I was looking at the UBD today and there is very few places that it can be in. "The Bus is now leaving for Artipena Manganese Prospects, South Australia"
Off course its bigger than 30hectares.My point is that Disney would want more land than what would be available to them if they were to build their. I agree with your previous point about Camden or even out towards Wisemans ferry.
but many of their overseas parks arent much better than what we have. Also, you need to remember that SF tends not to be as nice as other park operators, think about it this way,
Please stop bashing Sixflags.Every Sixflag Park i have visited i have had no problems.Apart from Cedarpoint i would rate SFNE,SFA and Marine world above most Cedar fair parks.

In terms of land sites, Prospect really is the only available place. Most of Sydney's commercially zoned land - 60% of it in fact - is in the Norwest Business park and areas immediately surrounding it in the Hills District. This area, while very nice (haha I live there) has effectively no public transport and the Norwest land is the most expensive commercial space outside any CBD in Australia. The rest of the available land for commercial use is at Prospect (easily accessible via M4, train, etc) and down south, out near Campbelltown and Camden (slightly less accessible). 30ha + sites of land are few and far between in Sydney that are zoned for this kind of thing. As for Prospect not being an attractive location, if you've ever been to downtown Anaheim, you'll know that the only two things that make that suburb impressive is DL and Knotts

^ Point noted. I think infrastructure is important to the area. I am not familiar with it but I can assume that trains etc run close by? & before everyone gets too excited by all of this, bare in mind it has all been heard before several times over. I don't want to sound synical because I want a DL down under as much as anyone! Another thing too - Disney will scout numourous countries and locations before finally deciding. I believe Euro Disney was short listed out of something like 12 locations? Australia has apparently been on their list of destinations for sometime now. Disney Sea was once considered for the Gold Coast as well as HKDL. Maybe this will be a case of 3rd time lucky? Population wise, I don't think Australia can sustain the attendances that a DL would need. Even so, I am convinced that if they do indeed build one, PEOPLE WILL COME! Heck, I'll even go work there:)

I think they will spend quite a while reviewing the different submissions - it could be months before we hear anything - lets hope thats not the case though!! I'm gonna call my friend in Imagineering to see if I can find out if Disney even placed a submission in the first place.

Why Would Disney Choose Sydney Over Queenslands Gold Coast....? There is So many more tourist here and its close to Brisbane. With the "Blacktown" site.....thats a long way out from Sydney CBD...... I understand there are other parks up here, but look at Disney in Cali...its got Knotts next to it and Six flags ect... Seriously they should be looking here again...NOT SYDNEY :mad:

Because It is a Travesty that an international destination such as Sydney does not have at least one world class theme park!! We need one!! and have the population to support one - maybe it wouldnt be comparable with the numbers at other disney parks but people would go and support it.

I Personally dont think its a good idea.....there is only one place for it in Australia...and thats the Gold Coast, we have perfect weather.... Its Tourist Central......and there are many areas around the place where they could develope it. Land at the moment is Expensive if you plan to buy close to the water...like surfers, broadbeach way...but heading out towards dreamworld/movieworld...its fine and a good location....we will find out soon where it will be I dont think they need any more in Asia, not being rude, its just we dont have any "Disney themeparks" down this way......

Why Would Disney Choose Sydney Over Queenslands Gold Coast....? There is So many more tourist here and its close to Brisbane. With the "Blacktown" site.....thats a long way out from Sydney CBD...... I understand there are other parks up here, but look at Disney in Cali...its got Knotts next to it and Six flags ect... Seriously they should be looking here again...NOT SYDNEY :mad:
Ok - you've answered one of your questions already - There are other parks there. thats why they would choose Sydney. Secondly, ask any international tourist, Sydney is the first place that comes to mind when you talk Australia. Believe it or not, more tourists go through Sydney that Brisbane. Those figures are mainly due to the fact that the main international airport in Australia is in Sydney, but thats besides the point. Most international Tourists stop in sydney - see the harbour bridge, opera house etc. where they go from there is another matter. not all of them go to QLD... Yes QLD has a huge tourism market. but in the 70s and the start of the 80's, it wasn't exactly huge then... The big 4 parks are what made it the destination it is. The beaches are an attraction, but don't kid yourself... its the parks that draw most of the tourism dollar. the "blacktown" site, as you call it, is no further out from the major hospitality areas of Sydney that Coomera is from downtown Surfers. Here is the proof, thanks to the good people at Whereis.com.au YOUR SEARCH: FROM: MARTIN PLACE ANGEL PLACE SYDNEY New South Wales TO: CITY CENTER PROSPECT New South Wales Total travel distance: 32.61 km, Estimated travel time: 34 Mins FROM: GOLD COAST CONVENTION CENTRE CITY CENTER BROADBEACH Queensland TO: DREAMWORLD CITY CENTER COOMERA Queensland Total travel distance: 29.59 km, Estimated travel time: 35 Mins And its even further out from Brisbane - YOUR SEARCH: FROM: BRISBANE CONVENTION & EXHIBITION CENTRE CITY CENTER SOUTH BRISBANE Queensland TO: DREAMWORLD CITY CENTER COOMERA Queensland Total travel distance: 54.40 km, Estimated travel time: 52 Mins Now, as you say, there are so many more tourists up there, even if that is true, you need to bear in mind that there are also so many more tourist destinations fighting for the tourist dollar. NSW offers no competition to a theme park. (im not even going near Luna Park...) As far as Knott's and Six Flags, they weren't really a big ticket destination until after Disneyland was built. The same can happen here. Disney might open a theme park in Sydney, only to have WMBW or WnW want to open another park in Sydney as well... why not? WnW are already planning a second park on the sunshine coast... whats to stop them expanding into NSW? All I am hearing at the moment from the Queensland Contingent of this site is "why don't they build it here"... but I am seeing no valid reasons for why Disney would want to. You have 3 theme parks, a water park, and thousands of other smaller destinations for tourism. how many theme parks has Sydney got? stop being greedy, and stop whinging. Give me a good, valid reason why Disney should build in QLD... then we will talk... but i see no valid reason why they should...

Ok get over the whole "DISNEY IS MINE IDEA" I dont really care, i was just voicing my own opinion and you come back saying all this crap too make Gold Coast "greedy"as you say it is. It doesnt bother me if we dont get Disney or you dont either....will you cry? ....Me....whinging...? what nonsence....if you think thats whinging....dude you got problems.. lol...I laugh at you Alexb....you fool.

Seriously they should be looking here again...NOT SYDNEY :mad:
What would you call that sort of response. I also dont see the need to quote an entire post, unless you are referring to every point in that post, rather than making a broad statement, and especially not when its immediately above it. I'm a fool? I dont go making comments like "blacktown is a long way out from the Sydney CBD" when the distance between Brisbane and Dreamworld or Movie World is twice the distance. Do your research first before you go making unsubstantiated comments such as that one.
All I am hearing at the moment from the Queensland Contingent of this site is "why don't they build it here"... but I am seeing no valid reasons for why Disney would want to. You have 3 theme parks, a water park, and thousands of other smaller destinations for tourism. how many theme parks has Sydney got? stop being greedy, and stop whinging.
Where in that post did i directly call YOU a whinger? I think that paragraph started by addressing "the Queensland Contingent". Which wasn't specifically aimed at yourself. you laugh at me? you tosspot, you are very easily amused. But its true - you are just voicing your own opinion... and so am I... i am voicing my own opinion on the subject, without victimising any specific person, however, when I voice MY opinion, you laugh at me and call me a fool, when it would appear that you are. So it would seem yet again you make allowances for yourself, and not others, to speak their mind and editorialise on the issue. Did I directly insult you? No. Did you directly insult me? Yes. Are you the only person who has said on this site that Disney should build in Queensland? No. Do you think you are the only person? I think so. Why else would you have taken such offence to such a generalised comment? Anyhow... take it as you will, just dont quote the ENTIRE post next time unless its relevant, particularly when the entire post is directly above it.