What do YOU want in replacement of the Thunderbolt?

Yes, most local councils will give you the green light on that one :eek: It just occurred to me that it (Space Probe) would do well at Luna Park Melbourne, but with the imminent sale etc. it may be demolished before this has the opportunity to be looked into. (though the Port Phillip local council would indeed be the biggest obstacle to contend to, afterall, if not for them, Demon would never have come to exist as it were formerly in WL) PS. Sounds like a nice opportunity for you to get a work-related trip over to the U S of Everything amusement. "Knowledge is power" keep me updated!

What I want on that site is irrelevant, so I will try to answer the question from the perspective of what is in the best interests of the park. Thunderbolt (in particular the double loop) was always a symbol for Dreamworld - an unmistakable landmark seen by thousands daily from the Motorway. I am firmly of the belief that Dreamworld will replace it with something equally eye-catching, but not neccessarily a coaster. Whilst I think a coaster is a distinct possibilty, so is a water park, im my opinion.

But a water park won't really be a flagship attraction like TB.
Cyclone is already visible from the read, as is the Dreamworld Tower. Remember a big, flashy, attractive looking waterpark makes a statement about what Dreamworld has to offer in the context of competing against the Warner Village parks. There is of course speculation about moving entrances and carparks around, so who knows how much room they will eventually have at the front of the park.

I personally don't want to see a major new thrill ride on the old Thunderbolt site. The Cyclone will partially block the view of it no matter how tall the attraction is, and if it's to be a major drawing card, it should be able to be seen in its full glory. I think the old Thunderbolt site would be a great place for a water park, although there are many other attractions I would prefer Dreamworld to get before a water park.

• Like 1

^^ True but parks don't generally use water attractions as their signature ride. For example, when you see Space Mountain you automatically think of Disney.
I never claimed it would be their signature ride. Is space mountain out the front of Disney Land?

Paul has asked permission, and was cleared to post the link.  Approval was given because the link was on topic, and because I got the feeling that Moviegirl wasn't aware that the ride has been scraped, so a page clairfying that is acceptable.
Joz, im pretty sure the guidelines allow links to be posted where that link is relevant to the topic, and pertinent to the discussion. Why did Paul have to ask permission?
  • Like 1

Paul didn't have to ask, but did, and since he did go the extra mile and asked, I felt it was wrong for people to be having a go at Paul without it being made aware that it was all good. For what its worth, I think a water park would be a good way to use that land. Afterall, its one area of the park where they are likley to attract complaints if its loud, and for that reason, a water park would be ideal. Thats also besides the fact that a water park is a good idea anyway.

I never claimed it would be their signature ride.  Is space mountain out the front of Disney Land?
No you never said it would be a signature ride but I think it would be better to get something brand new for Australia to compete with MW, and with Thunderbolt gone they need something like that. Space mountain isn't at the front of Disneyland but it's still something very typical of Disney.

I think a huge wooden roller coaster on the old Thunderbold site would look good! A wooden roller coaster would catch a lot peoples of attention, like The Bush beast. A MASSIVE wooden roller coaster would look good. Maybe twice as big as the Bush beast? Or something as tall as Son Of Beast? Wouldn't that look good? :)

I think a huge wooden roller coaster on the old Thunderbold site would look good! A wooden roller coaster would catch a lot peoples of attention, like The Bush beast. A MASSIVE wooden roller coaster would look good. Maybe twice as big as the Bush beast? Or something as tall as Son Of Beast? Wouldn't that look good? :)
There are issues with 'Massive' Wooden coasters and, as as a rule of thumb (according to enthusiasts at least), are not that good. I have said it before elsewhere, but I will say it again - I am of the opinion that a low cost GCI or Gravity Group Coaster would be a great investment for the Australian park.

Ask any general manager about wooden coasters. They are EXPENSIVE. Maintenance is a labour intensive and costly process, compared to the option of steel. But having said that, I agree, there is something special about a wooden coaster than a steelie just cannot ever beat. Wooden coasters have an atmsophere all of their own. As I've said on other forums, I could see a large ferris wheel quite viable for Dreamworld on that site, something with a bit of flash from the highway.