What do YOU want in replacement of the Thunderbolt?

If Dreamworld are going to replace TB with a new coaster, I really don't think it should use the same site that TB used to occupy. There are far too many major attractions in that part of the park as it is. That site would be better used for a new themed area with a lot of smaller attractions that would be better suited at dispersing the crowds already hanging around Ocean Parade and Nick Central. That's why a water park on that site (for example) would be a much better option than a new coaster or a major new ride. Assuming the water park goes there, the Blue Lagoon site should be used for the next coaster the park gets. That'll help to disperse the crowds a little more evenly through the park, while still being visible outside the park. I don't think DW should be trusted with a woodie. If we look at their track record with maintenance, it wouldn't be too long before a wooden coaster would be breaking our necks as badly as TB used to. DW definately needs something that is high capacity with proven reliability and a marketable appeal to it. While flyers are marketable, they are more expensive than traditional coasters and have a history of problems (while not major - they do tend to suffer from more downtime than other types). I think DW should go for a stand-up or a floorless. (Although it's been a while since B&M made a floorless. I think 1999 was their last. Are they still making them???) Maybe a floorless with more than 5 inversions. That way DW can market it as having two "firsts" in Australia.

Psycho, Just curious if you have ridden a stand up before? I rode Riddler's Revenge at SFMM earlier this month and was expecting something really amazing as I had never actually ridden one before but it was probably one of the most boring coasters at the park and VERY uncomfortable - I think this would be a big step backwards for Dreamworld. or maybe RR is just a bad example of a stand up??

I think a lot of the less traditional coasters - such as flyers and standups - often sacrifice speed and G forces to concentrate more on the novelty value of a coaster that has a unique operating feature. I found RR to be a pretty amazing ride - the sheer height of the inversions and scale of the ride is intimidating enough, let alone the ride's amazing ability to make any male rider question their reproductive ability after a few laps in those 'seats'... but the emphasis on RR definitely seems to be on the size and novelty of the standing ride position, as opposed to attempting to provide riders with a scary, intense ride. I think it's a gamble always taken on newer coaster types - for example, I found X to be too fast for the inversions, making the ride really disorientating which didn't let me fully appreciate the track layout until my second ride. At the other end of the scale, however, Air at Alton Towers has a few moments where it seems to crawl along the track with such futile drops that you begin to question why it's called a thrill ride. There's a very narrow margin IMHO to get a new generation coaster right - you've got to have the right mix of speed and novelty value, or people don't get the full experience from it. Back on topic, I think RR narrowly missed this fine margin, but would definitely like to see another stand up layout thrown into the mix here. It's probably safe to say that RR is not an example of a perfect standup. It's probably not even worth mentioning the comfort of a ride at Dreamworld. After riding Cyclone, at least a Stand Up coaster would just pound another part of my body other than my ears!

I have always said and will continue to say that a Standup is the coaster for DW. Read a million other threads to see why but I have said time and time again that the marketability of this ride would be huge. B&M is the only company worth considering in this genre. I totaly dissagree, I think RR is the perfect example of a Stand up. The ride DOES have the height and the intimidation fatcor going for it and as for lack of forces I don't know where that is coming from, the last inversion before the station packs a mean punch. (perhaps its been too long to rememer rich) Same goes really for the first drop and vertical loop. As far as the comfort factor, if it's incomfortable it's completely your fault. It's up to you to set the restraints and if you do so correctly they are completely comfortable. The part between your legs is not meant to be a seat and that is where many people go wrong. Sounds like you just had a bad experience Skipper which I'm sorry to hear. I don't think a prototype is a good idea, park has gone there before and its really a kind of risky and expensive path to go down. Just as a side note I think if a ride requires you to ride a second time to 'get your barings' it's done it's job well. My current X count is sadly only 2 and as far as I'm concerned that is 2 not enough... I would happily wait another 2-3 hours any day to ride this fantastic piece of machinery. When did you get your second ride Richard? I agree flyer may not be the way to go if you're after a thrill ride because basically they aren't one. Don't think they have ever been marketed as such and generally tend to be more graceful than forceful. Certainly the B&M models anyhow. I have also said previously I would like to see a PP type ride somwhere on the TB site in keeping with the ocean parade theme.

In terms of marketability, there is simply nothing else available today that would have the impact of a standup coaster in the Australian market. Compared with the gimicky nature of the floorless coaster or Drop Machine, the weight issues with the prone or the "been there done that" factor with their inverted or standard sitdown it really seems to be our best bet with B&M. I'll concur with these guys Skipper, maybe you got a bad run or something, because I loved Riddler's Revenge. For me it was something to do with being up 150-odd feet in the air and realising there's something not right about standing up. Regardless of what you say about pain, it's still smoother and more comfortable than anything we've got here. As for replacing Thunderbolt, I'm not sure I want any major rides there, because that area is capable of so much more.

Riddlers, i find looks an awsome coaster, the inversions are huge, and the stand-up factor is definatley cool....especialy the first time ur on it going up the lift, thinking to your-self this isnt normal..lol. I do however think that the whole course is slow, inversions are ok, but most of them are taken slow because the height they are, it slows the train down. This being said the ride stats for the actual speed is quite high, so the speed is there, but it dosent feel fast. NOW--X, as of last mth, X was very rough, not like previous times ive been on it. I ended up smacking my head aginst the back of the head rest, and boy did it hurt. I then spent the rest of the ride keeping my head away from the rretraints and head rest. As rich said, Stand Up would me a great marketable coaster. But id still like to see a scream clone, i htought it was a good coaster, it still could me markatable, its something gimmiky (floorless) so DW could make a big deal about it. Like ive said a few mths back, with movieworlds launch/top hat....Dw has let a brand new coaster design go, because its the coaster to hve. I still believe Movieworld would of really hurt DW if they had gone for the big one Kigda- ka or dragster height. Not only would movieworld have A world record holder, but it would also mean the TOT would no longer be the big icon of the Gold Coast parks.

I agree that the floorless is a great coaster, I enjoyed Scream but was dissapointed in the lack of smoothness. I do however thing the floorless poses a problem in marketability. I say this purely due to the sheer difficultly I've had myself in explaining the coaster to non coaster nerds like ourselves. The GP just seem to have a problem understanding how a coaster can have no floor. They first thing "oh like lethal weapon" but the you have to explain that the track is still below you. Not as easy as just saying "hey you stand up!".

I can see where you are coming from, but as they say, a picture paints a thousand words. If there was an image like this: http://www.rcdb.com/ig581.htm?picture=16 It would pretty much tell people what the ride does. But anyway, its difficult to explain many ride types. Like how would you describe a gyro swing or a topscan to a non enthusiast? If you worded it right it could convey the message. But in terms of replacing the thunderbolt, the ride would need to have a gimmick be it standup or floorless. I think that it should be on the thunderbolt site, but it it were designed well it could make good use of the space. Also, i think the rides entrance could be somewhere else, eg in Tiger island, then it could be given a kingda ka type theme which would be cool.

Oh hey don't get me wrong, I totaly agree it's really not that hard of a concept to grasp. I'm just pointing out that for some reason people DO seem to have a bit of a problem comprehending a floorless. Think of it this way; "hey, can we go to Dreamworld? I want to ride that roller coaster where you STAND UP" or "Hey, can we go to Dreamworld? I want to ride that roller coaster where the seats are kind of above the track so it feels like it has no floor because the wheels are behind you" You know what I mean? I'm with you, I'd be totaly happy with either :)

Okay just spend 10 mins trying to find a photo for you but I can't find a pic of the train in the station anywhere :( Basically you have your standard OTSR horsecoller type restraint that goes over your shoulders (funely enough). So picture yourself standing with a restraint over your shoulders. So you're not going anywhere up, infront, or to the rear but if you were to lift your feet off the ground of course you could slip down out of the restraint. To prevent this from happening there is a small (bike seat like) 'seat' for lack of a better word that extends from the back rest out between your legs. It is there purely to stop you slipping down out of the restraint should you lift your feet off the ground for some strange reason. It is not intended to contact your body during the normal operation of the restraint/ride. The whole restraint system 'floats' up and down when unlocked to as to alow you to fit it to your height. When you board the train you adjust the restraint to your height (ie set the position of the seat). The op. then locks the vertical movement of the restraint. You can then lower the OTSR which is locked also. When the riders are not morons and all is done right it is a very comfortable and safe system. The problem comes when someone doesnt get the restraint right and the train has to be unlocked, re adjusted and then locked and checked again. The good thing is B&M use a very smart system where by each row can be individualy locked and unlocked so this minimises inconvenience. So there you go... clear as mud? I think probably explaining a stand up restraint is as hard as explaining a floorless coaster :P

Yeah, i get you exactly. So its like the whole "backrest" can be lifted up and down and the horsecollar is attached to that. I suppose if they wanted to make it easier for riders, they could just have TVs in the last few switchbacks of the queuing area that loop a short video showing how to position their restraint properly for their height. But anyway, back to DWs new coaster. I think in terms of size it should be about 5 inversions. Another gimmick idea could be just to buy a clone of colossus from Thorpe, that would give them a world record (even if it is shared) and it would be cost effective. Of course they could take the record outright by adding one more barrel roll :P

Standup coasters what are you's guys thinking?Their Boring.We still don't have a coaster that gives any decent airtime.Like i said previously in this thread GCI or Gravity Group Wooden coaster is what we need. But if your going to go for B&M get a Inverted or Floorless with a straight drop.

Oh totaly agree, a kick arse woodie would be fantastic. Sadly though I think we might have to hang out and see if MW wants to go there in the western area. Might be a while though because they haven't even opened their latest coaster and I doubt they would build 3 coaster attractions in a row. I just don't think we could 'trust' DW with a wood coaster. Cyclone is rough enough!

Psycho, Just curious if you have ridden a stand up before? I rode Riddler's Revenge at SFMM earlier this month and was expecting something really amazing as I had never actually ridden one before but it was probably one of the most boring coasters at the park and VERY uncomfortable - I think this would be a big step backwards for Dreamworld. or maybe RR is just a bad example of a stand up??
I actually found it quite rough. Are you tall Skipper? I am 6'4" and the head banging and vibrations were honest to God downright painful. When I first rode it in 1998 it was brand new and super smooth. Last ride was in 2004. However I am surprised you found it boring. To me it really has what I call "non stop action". If you want a boring standup, ride Mantis at Cedar Point. *yawn*

lets be done with it, put in perilous plunge, it would go well with the beach theme. They could really have a great back feature so it created the end of ocean parade. have the drop facing tiger island so the water part of the ride is the full width of the thunderbolt station and its water. Behind the ride have big palms just like in knotts. but also add heaps of folige and small palms behind:) (if we got perilous plunge!!!lets go higher!!! just so we DW get another world record holding attraction. still id like a coaster..lol

A water park was supposed to be going there, and along the front of the park. Alex what do you mean, no one will rell a single drop about a new attraction. I got a 3D piture of cyclone track layout, giving to me by a staff member B4 it was long known that they were getting it from luna park. And the claw well b4 it was known, i posted it myself. The ppl at dreamworld were the ones that told m original about movieworlds top ha coaster, if u go hunting for the thread ull see i posted it. So if ppl do know the next attraction, they do tell.