Bounty's Revenge Question

On Bounty's Revenge, did the wheel at the base of the ride do all the work in driving the gondola? Or was there some kind of small hydraulic motor at the, er, pivot point thingo to help it along (like the Ranger). If the answer is that the wheel (or wheels, I forget) did all the work, in freak conditions, does that not mean that the gondola could have been caught upside down and not been able to be retreived (for a while anyway). Thanks.

I was at wonderland with an engeneer friend of mine who pointed out that it appeared there was a hydraulic pump at the pivot point of the ride. He figured that this pump drove some sort of flywheel setup at the wheels below which was the reason the wheels at the bottom seemed to move in time with the gondola (speed and change of direction). However these wheels would have needed some sort of motor (probably hydaulic) to spin them up to accelerate the gondola, and i believe that all of the acceleration and braking was done via the wheels at the bottom

there were two sets of wheels. At the pivot point, there were electronics, which would tell the motors at the bottom which way the ship was coming down. From what I can gather, the higher the ship gets, the slower the wheels turn. As the ship begins to drop, be it from the same side it went up, or if it goes completely over, the wheels then begin to spin in the necessary direction to propel the ship through the station again. The wheels never turned against the ship's direction, but they turned in the same direction a bit slower than the ship to slow it down. I'm sure bussy or daniel could confirm further if there was a different scenario in the case of an E-Stop? (although, yes, i know Daniel has said it would be almost pointless to E-stop the ship in mid swing...). I am pretty sure some "swinging ship" style rides have two sets of wheels, where one drives one way, the other drives the other, and there are hydraulic jacks used to push up the set of wheels needed for the correct action, so the wheels see-saw, one up one down, but I don't believe Bounty did it this way.

Bounty's had two motors and four tyres that drove the ride. There were sensors at the pivot point that told the motors which direction to spin in. At the beginning of the ride the tyres would spin slowly to get the momentum up and the get faster and faster they would then slow down until the ride completely stopped. There was no hydraulics that moved the tyres up and down. There was one time when there was an error with the computer that caused one set of tyres to spin the opposite direction to the other. Luckily the ride had only just started but the ride was up on the water side and kept bouncing off the set of wheels. The tyres were screaming every time they were hit because they were spinning in the opposite direction. The operator then pressed the e-stop and which bought the ride back to the station. The maintenance guys didn't believe the operator until the saw the tyres and the flat spots on them. It is also impossible for the ride to be stuck up the top as the drive for the ride is not attached to it and therefore cannot seize or shut down. It sometimes would look like it was stopped upside down but it was just due to a lot of conditions being just right. The slightest gust of wind moved it. The longest it would stay up there is a couple of seconds before it started moving again. "The Bus is now leaving for Tyrelock, Victoria"

It is also impossible for the ride to be stuck up the top as the drive for the ride is not attached to it and therefore cannot seize or shut down. It sometimes would look like it was stopped upside down but it was just due to a lot of conditions being just right. The slightest gust of wind moved it. The longest it would stay up there is a couple of seconds before it started moving again.
When you were first trained on it, it seemed like a friggen eternity! You really wondered if it was ever going to swing one way or another.

It was funny how some of the guests used to call Bounty's Revenge - "Pirate Ship". My brother for one - everytime my family would go to Wonderland (which was like every weekend) the first ride me and my brother would go on was the BR. I'd say "Lets go on the Bounty's Revenge" and he'd go "What the hell is that ride? Is it new?". It was quite funny LOL. Just thought I'd tell you guys.

It was funny how some of the guests used to call Bounty's Revenge - "Pirate Ship". My brother for one - everytime my family would go to Wonderland (which was like every weekend) the first ride me and my brother would go on was the BR. I'd say "Lets go on the Bounty's Revenge" and he'd go "What the hell is that ride? Is it new?". It was quite funny LOL. Just thought I'd tell you guys.
Thank you so much.

We had one word for those people who called it the pirate ship and that word was idiot. I found that these people would also stand in the line for the ride for say 15 minutes and then get on and ask what the ride did. My answer to that was usually "Nothing. You sit there and get your chest and groin squashed and then get off." Most of them bought it too. Like I said idiots. "The Bus is now leaving for Squashy Creek, South Australia"

• 1 month later...

In theory, with dead wind conditions, and a phenominally perfect balance weight distribution of riders, I see no reason why the ride could not stop indefiinately upsidedown. I often thought about this ever since I first rode an old Intamin ship in Canada (which was inside a shopping mall I might add). It made me think, if there was a deliberate installation of some sort of irregular weight in one side of it to help guard against the possibility of it hanging perfectly inverted. (I have had this happen in automatic operation of a double swinging ship, only to find the ride's PLC kick in with a quick jolt to keep it moving after 10 seconds or so. (I prefer mannual operation - a bit like the arguement of control in 'manual Vs automatic' transmission in a car, however given that a lot of people can't cope with 'manual', parks must standardise their operating procedures)

Zamper there are some conditions that are so hard to achive you may as well say its impossible. You say in dead wind conditions and perfect palance the ship could stay upside down. However even on the finest of days there is still a little puff or two of wind, more so at height. And the ship would only need to be a mm or two off top dead center to eventually bring it down again. Not to mention people move and wave arms ect around whilst riding which would also have a minor effect of balance. In short it might be upside down for a short time but its always gunna come back down one way or another. And even if it was "stuck" youd simply be able to thow something as small as a tennis ball up and hit it to throw it off banance enough to start the motion to bring it back down. The only way it could be stuck would be if something went wrong like a bearing seizing.

• 2 weeks later...

"Later in August this year, a new ride will make its way to the theme park. The Bounty Revenge is a 360° swinging ship that will take visitors on the ride of a lifetime. Towards the end of the year, the existing Zambezi River, better known to many as The Lazy River, will undergo total upgrading and re-theming. To give visitors more to look forward when visiting Sunway Lagoon Theme Park, the Sunway Petting Zoo will eventually move into the theme park, creating a mini night safari." http://www.sunway.com.my/sunwaylagoon/pres...o=1&staffs_ids=

Sheesh, they couldn't even come up with a new name for it! And I'm sure there would be a fair few people who could argue some of SG comments in that press release, especially the part about management and commitment. I'm surprised that they even got his name right, quite a few times people from KL would spell his name as "Gilbret" (just think of Galbraith spoken in a really strong maylasian accent :))