Luna Park in the 60/70's

rushingal

Hello everyone! When I was a kid, I was lucky enough to visit Luna Park every year for free up until the age of 12. Thats because my dad's work would have their annual Christmas party there. My favourite ride was the River Caves. I was wondering if there were others here who visited Luna Park at that time and can remember all the different lands in the River Caves. All I can remember is there was Toy land and Eskimo Land. I remember that when the boat reached Eskimo Land, it turned cold and there was wind howling. That always scared me. I obviously remember Toy land because I liked it and remember the eskimos because I got scared. I hope others can remember what else was in there. I also thought Luna Park had the best ghost train. So sad what happened with the fire. Thanks.

That was one of my favourite's too, there was the two scenes you mentioned & a jungle scene with Tarzan & Jane & that huge waterfall with all those flamingo's, there was the Neptune's kingdom with the mermaids as well. There was also a small scene of a wolf howling at the moon & lastly before you exited, there was a huge golden budda scene...I wish it was all there today :(

I remember the Rivercaves from Melbourne. Though I vaguely remember the scenes, what has been mentioned kindles nostaglia. I was reading on the LPM site yesterday, the history of LPM and there is also some historical shots and a comprehensive report on the refurbishment of the Carousel.

Gosh Dianna you have a terrific memory. It all comes back to me now. Maybe it was the wolf howling that scared me altho I do recall there was a wind howling in eskimo land. How wonderful that you remember them all. I have been searching for years on the net to find info on the River Caves!! Wasnt Luna Park just the best place back then! I was so sad when it closed in 1979 because of the ghost train fire. I know where I was and what i was doing when I heard the news on the car radio. My boyfriend (who became my husband) were hmmmmmm....star gazing at Brighton Beach. If anyone has amy memories or favourite rides from that era, please post them.

I wish the LPS site had historical photos. There are none. Last time I was at LPS was when it was open for the Christmas holidays around early 2000, I found a book about Luna Park that had some LPS historical shots and also of LPM. I didnt buy it as I didnt think it was that good. I dont remember if it was the Just for Fun book. I might have to make a special trip there to check the book out.

It's such a shame that both Luna Park's are now made up of 2nd hand carnival rides. You would think that as the years go by more thought and effort would be put into the attractions but it has gone the other way. The River Caves sounded like they were really special and it is so sad that neither Luna Park has any dark rides of this nature anymore. What is even sadder is the current lack of fantasy artwork and facades at Sydney's Luna Park. Whereas Luna Park in the old days made people feel like they were entering another world, today it just makes you feel like you're entering a harbourside shopping/retail precinct with a few carny rides stuck around the place

Wow Dianna, you went there every week!!! And I thought I was lucky going there once a year. No wonder you remember the river caves so well. And I rember that first bump too!! So the North pole scene was first. You must have lived in North Sydney. Did they have yearly passes then like they did for Wonderland? I agree Go Boi, that the amusement parks today are just made up of carnival rides that you see everywhere. Except for the Looney Tunes ride at Movieworld and the volcano ride (i forget what it is called) at Sea world, there are no other dark rides, that I know of. My kids have grown up now and I dont go to amusement parks. The Luna Park sydney River Caves ride was exceptional for its time. It was on par with the dark rides in Disneyland and the Ghost Train was a long ride and scary (well for me anyway). Best Ghost Train I have ever been on. They sure dont make 'em like they used to. sigh :(

Actually our Gold Coast theme parks have come a long way when it comes to rides and theming. There are now a number of really fantastic dark rides on the Gold Coast. I was only referring to Luna Park (Syd & Melb) and their lack of rides that are even remotely special or atmospheric like they were in the old days

Actually our Gold Coast theme parks have come a long way when it comes to rides and theming. The GC is now home to a number of really fantastic dark rides. I was only referring to Luna Park (Syd & Melb) which have a complete lack of rides that are even remotely special or atmospheric.. certainly nothing like they were in the old days

Did they have yearly passes then like they did for Wonderland? No, back in those days you would buy a coupon, later in the late 70's you would buy a card with a certain amount of red & blue squares on it. The River caves & Big Dipper needed a red square to be clipped off as you'd enter the ride so would Coney Island. Most of the others required a blue square per ride :)