What Happened to Gum Tree Gully

seaboi

G'day guys, I had the pleasure of visiting Dreamworld yesterday and noticed that the show that used to be put on in Gum Tree Gully has been closed down. The Australian Bush Jamborieee i think it used to be called. Thats a shame considering it was the first animtronic show of its kind in Australia and even had the likes of Disney out when it first opened just sp they could see how it worked. Granted that it had seen better days, but nothing that a bit of maintaince and possible a new show wouldnt have fixed im sure. Its a shame to see that whole area so run down and all closed up. Its like walking through a ghost town! Does anyone know what has happened to this attraction? Have they pulled it apart inside?

Hi Seaboi, yes...it was the first animatronic show in Australia, but, it was really just a cheaply made & bad copy of Disneylands Country Bear Jamboree. The only real Australian thing about it was that they used our wildlife instead of the bears & ofcourse the songs. The animatronics were very basic even for the time it opened. I was shocked the last time I saw it, as it looked just SO run down.....I'm sure what ever they've done to the inside..the animatronic cast has gone to " a better place " ;)

Last time I was there (a little over a year ago) they had replaced the show with your typical human actor theme park stage show. Just basically a really lame story, cheesy songs and not that entertaining at all to be honest. Not surprised that this show isn't running any more. Although the old Puppet show wasn't exactly a technological marvel it was still something different and to its target audience a quite entertaining little show. Also by using animatronics it only required one person to run and thus could be run many times a day with little cost. Much better idea than what they replaced it with. Who knows though, maybe we will see another good show come to this theatre soon. Usualy its the areas that havn't seen action in a while that are the first to receive the new attractions.

Opps...I'm sorry...I forgot ot put IMO in my last posting on this attraction. Please forgive me... While I agree with you in '''' it was still something different and to its target audience a quite entertaining little show'''''Don't get me wrong here...I liked the singing guitar playing Bunyip & the Mother Kangeroo w/the Joey in pouch as much as the next person...But the show just got old looking & lost it's appeal. A show like this needs to be maintained & cleaned not allowed to get cacked in dust & dirty looking....quite sad really.....ofcourse, that's just IMO :D

I personally thought that the show that replaced it, Outback Celebration, was a very well put together show. Compared with other theme park musicals in Australia (Looney Tunes Revue, Superstars: Live in Concert), it's certainly one of the best I've seen. Granted, rather lame story, and the songs were adequately tacky, but it was very enthusiastically performed both times I saw it, and was very different from your average theme park show. And did have its moments, and some catchy tunes ("Three cheers for Daphne, she's our outback queen!"). It was only ever going to run for a year, celebrating "Year of the Outback".

Gum Tree Gully has seen its better days. Its a beautiful spot in the park, but is without anything resembling an attraction. Personally, I think they should've left the old anamatronics show in, that way they wouldn't have had to cancel the show on the Captain Sturt Paddlewheeler, which was the only reason to go on the boat, and was actually funny. With the way it is now, they've got a theatre they aren't using, and a boat ride no one goes on (it was only doing 2 laps a day last time I was there, compared to a minimum of 4 in the past), and a very nice area of the park going un used..

• 4 years later...

does anyone know where the country jamboree animals went? I am seriously wanting to find them. I would buy them if Dreamworld would let me, I would even sign a contract to stop me from using them for profit. I hope they weren't dumped in a skip for they were australian animatronics history.