Construction underway at Wet'n'Wild

Richard

For those that don't know, Wet'n'Wild is currently in the early stages of constructing several new attractions due open at various stages throughout the year. Most of you know about the Mammoth Falls upgrades, work's yet to commence on that. You might also have known about the replacement children's area that is being built to replace the ageing Buccaneer Bay. To allow for the expansion, the park has seen a relatively quiet closure and removal of the Double Screamer toboggans, which closed last week, and as of today is completely gone. The removal of Double Screamer isn't a total loss. As well as all the other attractions mentioned, there is also several other "thrill" attractions on the way that should do good things for capacity and balance out the current offerings.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH WHAT! I can't believe they took out double screamer. Easily the best attraction in the park and to just remove it without mention is pretty poor. I would have hoped if they did remove it they would return it to the park in another area but I'm sure they won't. A shame to see a high capacity attraction that is quite unique for us removed for probably another AWL slide that barely differs from the others, requires some sort of tube and hardly gets you wet. Another problem I see here is that was one ride that could be both ridden single or as a double. Many of the recent additions require a minimum of 2 riders. This is hard if a family visits the park with a single older child or someone takes themselves off to the park solo for the day.

Primative? Yes Simple? Yes Damn Good Thrilling Ride? YES!! That is what was so good about the ride, was the last of the more original sort of water rides at the park and something that still had a bit of thrill to it... We lost the speed slide to the damn boring and stupid "Speed Coaster" and that was all we had left. I don't think there is a single ride in the park (maybe except twister which is hell with the amount of water your drink) that could be considered a Thrill ride. Pretty much everything I'd put at a Family level. The good thing about Double Screamer was that you had a little bit of control and the outcome of the ride really depended on you. Most modern slides are simple sitting in a tube and heading down a flume getting a few splashes. Definately sad to see it go after riding it for what I was just told has been 18 years.

I'm sad to see Double Screamer go, but I think it’s had its time. Its an old slide, and is in an unfortunate spot as it blocks in the kids area, which really needs the expansion. The other thing is user controlled rides are more dangerous then those where you have little say in where the tube/board/mat goes. You can't trust people to not injure themselves. I know of a few accidents on waterslides, and all of them come down to someone doing the wrong thing. It’s amazing how if people are told to lean forward, someone will lean backwards just too see what happens (and how much it hurts). Same with telling people to cross they're legs over (Screw that! I'm going to keep them wide apart and see why they have that rule!), people will just do stupid things. That’s why the trend is to build slides where its not as user controlled, and thus safer. I don't this is a bad thing though. Look at Terror Canyon, that thing is down right scary when it gets some speed up. I think the new thrill slides that will be introduced in the mid term should be ample replacement for Double Screamer. I do agree on one point though, the great thing about Double Screamer is it was a one or two person slide, and WnW could do with slides that a single rider (or a group of 3 for that matter) could enjoy without making someone wait or go twice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Obviously the reason for having the entire enclosed funnel is for the increased visual impact. The forced perspective also makes the funnel look a lot larger and make the hole at the end look much smaller, adding to the excitment. Having a complete circle also adds a lot of strength to the structure as well. Without the top half holding the two sides together the exterior support stucture would have to deal with a lot more lateral pressure outwards from the water, the raft and just the general weight of the fibreglass itself.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Adam. Does anyone know if this slide is basically just going to be another type of Mammoth River? You couldn't really call it 'new' and 'exciting' if that was the case. Wet 'n' Wild tends to do things like this. In the past they just enclosed the existing River Rapids ride and marketed it as a major new attraction for the year - Terror Canyon II. It's time WnW got itself either a master blaster or some decent enclosed tube slides (of which they do not have enough)