Anyone remember Leisureland Fair?

Moviegirl

I am a great fan of rollercoasters and I love riding on them, and looking at the pictures just give me a thrill, too! Your site is absolutely satisfying to my thrill-seeker needs. But then, I remember there is an amusement park years ago in Victoria called Leisureland Fair. I wonder what happened to the park? It just disappeared and I can't remember much, but I remember when I was a kid I went there a couple of times and it was one of my favourite park. I remember that there was a white rollercoaster, a name that I cannot recall, along with other rides, such as Cha-cha and a train ride around the park, similar to the train in Dreamworld. I wonder if anyone could remember that? I tried to find information but to no avail. Thanks a bunch and would be much appreciated if I could get the information of the park from one of my favourite childhood memories.

Thanks for trying, Scott. Yeah, all I remember was that the white rollercoaster was a steel one but it didn't have any inversions, like loops or corkscrews. It was just like a wooden rollercoaster with ups and downs and several curves, with a lap restraint, not the shoulder ones. It was a big steel rollercoaster. I don't think it was a very big park. It does look big when I was a kid, but my dad told me it was a small one. It didn't have many rides, and it was like a park for picnics. Oh, I wish I could remember more. Thanks anyway. Anyone else???

It certainly was a steel one. Unfortunately I don't have any photo's of Leisureland, just blury childhood memories of my two or three trips there. I think the coaster was custom built, possibly by Kevin Ferarri off overseas specs perhaps. I also remember off the first dip, it went below ground level a couple of metres. All that remains now of the park is a street named 'Leisureland Cct' within a housing development. (much to my dissapointment after I had the urge to detour from a fishing trip with a mate to suss it out) Other rides included a large flume ride, Cha Cha (as mentioned), chairswing, 2 waterslides, a Tilt-a-whirl( ? ), the steel coaster and a few others. I would think the Hastings Council would have to have some information or photo's. I might have to try and investigate when I have the time, as I've been very curious about the details of Leisureland too. Howmany Melbournians do we have here? (apart from I)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh thank you Zamperla!!!! It was so wonderful to hear from someone who have been there!! Yes! I remember the steel coaster went down below the ground level off the first dip. Thank you very much for the info. How exciting!! I will perhaps contact the Hastings Council regards the info and hopefully some photos!! Thank you once again for replying. P.S. Me from Melbourne (me born here!!)

Hi All, I remember Leisureland. The roller coaster was very basic with a couple of dips. The Park had a basic set of rides, a function centre, mini golf etc but mainly was aimed at the picnic set. The Park was sold many years ago (more than a decade) to a religious group. Have no idea what it has become as I haven't been out that way in years.

Zamperla, Not sure on that one. I believe the old function centre was used as their meeting / services room. As for the rides, I don't know what happened to them. I'll try to get out there this weekend, as I am currently in Melbourne for a few weeks. Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

No LPF, this park closed long before Thrillseeker was removed from Seaworld. The coaster was on permanent concrete foundations, was an 'out and back' from memory with a steep dip off the lifthill. Thrillseeker is now known on the travelling ride circuit as Taipan. You may have seen it if you went to Sydney's Royal Easter Show. (yellow track)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

hey all! names ren, im just new to this forum, as i've been desperately searching the net for any information on the "leisureland" located in Langwarrin Victoria. i live in frankston/baxter area (a 5min drive away) and just discovered the old leisureland site a few days ago with some mates. myself and some friends are very interested in finding out any info on this place, we believed it used to be an old amusement park, we been the other day for a good look, the only remains is the "reception centre" a 2 storey building like a castle shape on the hill, with housing development built around it. it is completely abandoned and run-down with glass all over the place and vandalism. we are interested about this place as we've been looking for a spooky looking place to shoot a amature horror film, and from word of mouth this place is haunted. checked it out in the day, and came back friday the 13th (few days ago) very freaky place. however i belive we are trespassing on the land, and we are trying to find out who owns it so we can get filming rights on the property. if anyone here knows anything on the place could you please reply to this post or email me any info at lombardo3199@optusnet.com.au cheers guys!

• 2 months later...

Yeah I remember Wobbies World. Had a few birthdays there as a kid. They has a home made fibreglass helicopter ride where these mini helicopters trundled around an elevated monorail. There was one drop that was quite scary with an almost 90 degree turn. They also had some mower motor driven 6 wheeler ATVs that followed a central rail and went around an all terrain track. They had an old Viscount airplane in the middle of the park which I think is the one now at Moorabbin air museum. The park has since shut and half has been carved up for residential development. The rest remained with the original owner who has just renovated the original castle entrance and opened a plant nursery. The hydraulic helicopter ride was dismantled and it sitting on a farm on Dandy Frankston Road.

While were on the subject of Melbourne. I've lived in Melb all my life. Does anyone remember wobbies World in Nunawading
God, that place was a dump. I remember they had that old plane that you would sit in and they pretended it was a real flight. Correct me if im wrong but they also had a flume ride of some sort. Edited by goliath

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I was reading through the forums when I noticed Leasureland Fair, what a blast from the past! I joined up so I give you a reply. I still remember singing the jingle from television when I was a kid.. 'all the fun of the fair, see you there at leasureland'. When I went there, Marty Monster and Daryl Cotton where filming an episode of the Early Bird show for Channel 10. I lived in Langwarrin for some years, early this year we decided to go back and have a look around. Like the previous people mentioned, it's all run down and only the 'Castle' convention centre remains. It's very eerie inside, there is still dinner plates and glasses loaded in the commercial dishwashing machine downstairs probably from the last night when it was still running and we found a menu nearby for someones 21st Bday back in the 80's, they must have rented out the convention centre. The dance floor is still there in the middle of the huge convention centre. The post mix drink machines are still there, although they are smashed and bits missing. Out the back you will find a railway track half covered with overgrown grass, and the wooden railway station which use to take patrons from the car park to the station, (about 50 meters away! :)) I found the wikipedia link for leisureland fair http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leisureland_Fair Lets all contribute to the Wikipedia...

• 1 year later...