Aussie World And Ettamogah Pub - Landsborough Qld

1. Shotty,   2. Old
Guess you haven't been to Sydney Aquarium then :P Honestly don't know what you mean about Shotty/Shoddy, the place appears to be exceptionally well maintained, and looks much younger then the 16 or so years old that it is. Don't know what’s wrong with it being endorsed by Olympians, or character placement that kids can relate to. I think the Nemo thing is a really smart piece of marketing; anyone whose been to the Reef side of Shark Bay (or any aquarium in the last 2 years for that matter) knows that kids are always trying to find Nemo in the tank, and get very excited when they see him (well, a clown fish). The place also boasts a pretty good line-up (as far as aquariums go) with a Seal Show, the well-done Shark Tank, Otters (Seriously, Otters rule) deep-sea fish, jellyfish as well as all the predictable assortment of reef fish, Stingrays and whatnot. The whole area is good, with some really nice little shops to grab a meal from (I had fish & chips purely for the sake of Irony) and cruises. I had a ball up there. Underwater World, is only meant to be a couple of hour’s attraction, and combined with the surrounding area is a nice relaxing day out IMHO. True if your not into marine animals you won't get as much out of it, but I reckon you'll still reckon you'll have a good time there. The Sharks and the Seals are worth it in there own right.

1. Shotty,   2. Old
Guess you haven't been to Sydney Aquarium then :P Honestly don't know what you mean about Shotty/Shoddy, the place appears to be exceptionally well maintained, and looks much younger then the 16 or so years old that it is. Don't know what’s wrong with it being endorsed by Olympians, or character placement that kids can relate to. I think the Nemo thing is a really smart piece of marketing; anyone whose been to the Reef side of Shark Bay (or any aquarium in the last 2 years for that matter) knows that kids are always trying to find Nemo in the tank, and get very excited when they see him (well, a clown fish). The place also boasts a pretty good line-up (as far as aquariums go) with a Seal Show, the well-done Shark Tank, Otters (Seriously, Otters rule) deep-sea fish, jellyfish as well as all the predictable assortment of reef fish, Stingrays and whatnot. The whole area is good, with some really nice little shops to grab a meal from (I had fish & chips purely for the sake of Irony) and cruises. I had a ball up there. Underwater World, is only meant to be a couple of hour’s attraction, and combined with the surrounding area is a nice relaxing day out IMHO. True if your not into marine animals you won't get as much out of it, but I reckon you'll still reckon you'll have a good time there. The Sharks and the Seals are alone worth the effort.

Yeah I liked UnderwaterWorld although I did visit around 10 years ago. I really liked the whole layout and its location on the wharf. I thought it was what an aquarium should be. Much better than Sydney Aquarium (I could never understand why that place is so popular... I really dislike it for many reasons). And joz you're right - the surrounding shops and things are very nice. I have/had a brochure from when I visited that has an illustrated map of UnderWater World and the wharf/shops. It is in typical theme park cartoony style. It shows a bit of the surrounding area aswell including the beach across the road with windsurfers and beachy activities going on. Aaaah, reminds me of holidays

Paul, I don't see how you can label Underwater World as being old and of poor quality... At the very least I’m sure many would agree that it’s certainly a well maintained aquarium with a wide variety of marine wildlife, not to mention a seal show, sharks, and a number of interactive exhibits along the way. What else could you possibly want in an aquarium?

• 2 years later...

I was up that way today and decided to drop in. I got the impression of it being a really nice little park, nicer than Luna Park anyway. It was very clean and well maintained, and didn't have that 'dodgyness' to it, very tasteful landscaping and structures...special mention goes out to the beer keg urinals. There seemed to be enough people there though, so each ride had a dedicated op. They seem to have undergone a recent rebranding (see their website) and they have a yet to be named dog mascot. In particular, it would be quite a good place for younger families with kids unwilling to go on the bigger rides at the GC parks (Since it has the wristband system, so its basically like only having the looney tunes village or sesame st beach or whatever) I didn't go on everything, but I did go on the Rock N Roll Rebel, The Wild Mouse, Mozzi Musta, The Simulator and the Ferris Wheel (Didn't have a whole lot of time, wouldn't have minded playing a round of mini golf, or finally going on a pirate ship) The rock n roll rebel was pretty cool, with its varied lighting effects that would change throughout the ride (So at the start it was flashing lights, and then it would change to having lasers, and then it would change to the disco ball etc) The mouse, well its a crazy as all the other timber ones out there...that transition off the top of the lift and first turn is brutal. One thing that made this cool was that it wasn't just dips, but it had actual hills with a little bit of air...due to the seating position where you sit like you'd sit in a bathtub, your legs would fly up. The ferris wheel was good for taking photos, though it only goes around about 3 times The simulator is just one of those ones you see at the shows, but the op would let people pick the film (from a list of about 12) I managed to get "Wet 'n' Wild Water slide' and it was basically a stitched together POV of those slides at WnW in Orlando that have the hexagonal tower. Mozzi Musta was my first tilt a whirl, they have pretty cool ride movements freely spinning this way and that, but towards the end it managed to establish itself into a very fast non stop spin one way that didn't stop till the end of the cycle. It will be good to see how this place develops in time, If they have the funds, it would be nice to see them look at what else they can get for the same money, as say a new flat ride...that hill to the side and back of the park would be great for a Wiegan Tobbogan Run or Alpine coaster. Though if they were going for another flat, I wouldn't object a Flying Scooters, I think it would really suit the park, plus I wouldn't mind trying one.

Edited by Gazza

...that hill to the side and back of the park would be great for a Wiegan Tobbogan Run or Alpine coaster.
Don't they already have a toboggan run? If not now they certainly used to many years ago. I have an old park map which clearly shows quite a large toboggan layout going down the hill

Don't they already have a toboggan run? If not now they certainly used to many years ago. I have an old park map which clearly shows quite a large toboggan layout going down the hill
Yeah, I thought I could see something like that, it appeared to be bitumen though, so maybe it was like the ones that have those little billy carts you have to steer, like in Queenstown NZ or Sentosa Island in Singapore.

• 8 months later...

Just on this thread - I happened to visit Aussie World recently. Couple of things I thought worth a mention, and when i get them uploaded, a few pictures of things I think other parks could adopt for some cheap, but great fun. First of all, It seems obvious the current owners have frozen all non-essential maintenance while this WnW thing is pending. The Rock N Roll Rebel (which was my favourite ride last time) has fallen into disrepair- only half the speakers are working, which resulted in a very directional and low-impact sound. The room was STINKING hot, and was not an enjoyable ride. It seems all the staff in the park knew a fair bit about the pending WnW development, and apparently they held an information day for people to come and look around and suss out the plans VRTP have. I also found out that all the rides will be disposed of. None will be kept on by WnW if the park is approved. So theres a cheap wildmouse, and a lot of other really good quality rides available for next to nix. (Clint - I reckon get your dibs in for rock n roll rebel - the lighting effects in there are cheaper models, but still very very good - if not for AOS then your own personal uses! ((or let me know and i'll put in a bid))). The staff are (for the most part) still really happy to be there, and offer a level of interaction not seen at the big parks, and I thank all the staff there for an enjoyable day, including the guy on Water Wars that would have gotten decked if he wet my camera gear. Which brings me to my next comment - a new addition there since last time I went was Water Wars. I have pictures to give an idea, but essentially, it is an upcharge attraction, that would cost very little to establish, and cost very little to run. I know what everyone's views are on upcharge (I don't like them either) but the price charged was very reasonable, and a lot of fun on a hot queensland day - Basically you have an arena about 10 metres long - two people on each side, each person has a bucket of water bombs, and a giant slingshot \ catapult style device (see pics when i upload them). You get a quick brief by the staff member, and then fire away - a great way to have fun with friends in an interactive setting, and on a hot day, a great way to cool down - especially if you're not at a waterpark.

I know it would be a very cheap and unsatisfactory addition to Movie World, but wouldnt it be nice if the coaster was given new lease on life at Movie World? Also, didnt the plans show that some of the rides would be moved to an amusement section to the side of the water park....?

Edited by DonjaiInLA

the plans did show some "dry amusements" but the more i think on it the more I realise that Village aren't going to spend millions on an entirely new park, and keep the junkie old attractions to the side - it has some sentimental value for those that have been before - but it would be like keeping the bush beast in between the LG warehouse and the woolworths one.No... out with the old, and in with the new...

I know it would be a very cheap and unsatisfactory addition to Movie World, but wouldnt it be nice if the coaster was given new lease on life at Movie World?
Better suited to Jamberoo action park IMO. I think it will be sold and go to a good home however the possibilities of MW buying it are next to none.