Quick Trip Report - USA May/June 2005

Skipper

Hi there, Just got back from a very quick but fun trip to the states... First Park was Six Flags Magic Mountain - it was a dream come true to finally go and thanks to Kenny Koala's advice of going to the far side of the park first upon opening we rode all of the coasters there within the first hour and a half. Stand out Coasters were - Goliath, rode this one 7 times - LOVE the first drop and the numerous head/arm choppers along the way as well as the insane positive G's you get during the circuit. - Deja Vu Looking at it while lining up I was really just expecting an experience similar to that of the Demon but this coaster really packs a punch and the lift hills are amazing - really gets the blood rushing when you are looking straight down at the ground while getting pulled up with your full body weight pressing against your restraint before getting rushed over to the other lift tower. - X This one was worth the wait and in my opinion totally lives up to the Hype - unfortunatly they only had one train running and with it taking about 10 minutes to load and unload it was about a 2 hour wait - not helped by the fact that there was no shortage of thugs pushing in the line way ahead in the boarding area - I and a few other people alerted a security guard to this and when we pointed out the guys who were que jumping he just wandered over - looked them up and down then wandered off in another direction obviously intimidated by them. It was total bull**** that not even security would stand up to these guys and let them get away with that kind of behavior- so much for the park map stating that people skipping lines will be "ejected" from the park!! that was soon all forgotten though when it was finally our turn to get on..The engineering of this ride is mind boggling and I normally laugh more than anything during a coaster ride but this one scared the crap out of me!!! - it was the last coaster of the day so it had a lot to live up to and it passed with flying colours - definitley my favourite coaster of all time!! gotta mention that it seemed to prove a bit too much for one rider who was unconcious when the train we were on returned to the station - saw them leave in an abulance a short time later - but concious then so at least they weren't dead!! one surprising dissapointment about MM was Ridler's Revenge - their stand up coaster - this one looks really impressive in pictures and real life and I was really excited about riding a stand up coaster for the first time but to be honest it was BORING - I dont know what it was but I didn't feel remotley scared or excited during this one -good thing we walked onto it with no lines. will continue on with Disneyland asap....

Sorry should have re - phrased that - rode all the coasters there except for X - that was the last one we rode before leaving for the day. Scream was fun - it wasnt a stand out coaster for me though, I made a point to sit in the front seat to get the full effect of a floorless coaster and its cool but there was something about the lay out - or maybe the fact that its sitting on a carpark that just gave me the feeling it lacked something. Maybe it was just the fact that we did all the coasters down that end of the park so quickly there really was no time to appreciate each one on a individual basis. Disneyland and DCA - got to Anaheim about midday just as the overcast weather burned off and the sun came out - my friend who I went to the park with is friends with a cast member who plays prince charming so he met us at the gate and signed us in for free to both parks which was a great surprise we went into california adventure first - stopped by California Screamin to get a fast pass then headed over to line up for TOT, for what its worth DCA is not as bad as I thought it would be it has some nice concepts and themeing going for it but when its placed alongside disneyland it really cant compare. the DCA version of TOT really doesn't cut it I am afraid - no surprises there though - without the extra dimension and an inferior looking building compared to that of the original at MGM I was happy to ride it anyway knowing that I would be on the original in Orlando later that week. It still has some great lighting in the boiler room line area and the drop sequence is ok but its obvious that its a ride done on the cheap and it shows!

I really like DCA, and on previous trips have spent lots of time in there. all though the recent trip was more disneyland time, and kept hopping into DCA for aan hour ot two here and there. I traded in my 3 day hopper for an premium annual pass, so i can ue that when i go in march next year:)