My LPM Idea

Gazza

I think a point some people are missing is that LPM isnt a thrill park, and doesnt pretend to be one, so I like the mix of rides gazza has chosen to choose to replace older style 'fun family' rides with thrill rides I think would lose the small amount of current atmosphere LPM has... but thats just my opinion :D

But in all honesty, the park needs rides that will appeal to teens, its just like going to a carnival, and there are no upside down rides. The Zipper is a fantastic thrill ride, takes up a small footprint, and attracts teens and older people! It is a ride that would do fantastic, just like it did many years ago in the early 90's at the park

The new big dipper has 3 inversions. I have attached a NL screenshot of the layout, the inversions are an inside top hat, an immellmann and a vertical loop. The problem with LPM is that its too much like going to a carnival or a show. If you just put in more rides of the same format eg zippers, rainbows etc, its really just the same thing it already is, carnie rides set up permanently. And it is this format that has caused the park to be a financial drain for its owners. But lets break down the rides into their categories. THRILL New big dipper Skyrocket Tornado Rotor? BROAD APPEAL Zig Zag River Caves Giggle Palace? Scenic Railway Dodgems Ghost Train KIDS Carousel Luna Twirler Luna Jumper Luna Flyer Bay Balloons I think I have a fairly even split between demographics (4, 6 and 5 respectivley), and you have to keep in mind that people will ride rides for other demographics, eg thrill riders will ride on the dodgems, zig zag, scenic raliway etc and Kids will ride on the river caves, ghost train, giggle palace etc. IMO its not wether a ride is thrilling, its wether its fun. I have tried to make sure my ride choices are ones that are fun for most people. I mean, of my ride choices, i think that basically anyone from here would ride most of the attractions (apart from the kids rides, but even then if you were visiting with a younger child, you might ride along too.

You have made some good points there Gazza. It has not been until recent years that the Luna Park's have become more like carnivals rather than fun parks. It is unfortunate that this is the way it has turned out and most people have simply accepted it. A lot of people are under the impression that this is the way the parks always were. It would take a lot more than sticking a few portable rides on a patch of asphalt to re-create the quality of the original parks. Gazza I think overall your lineup is pretty good. As you said, the parks should be more about fun, atmosphere and the experience than thrill rides

Interesting coaster design. What was that separate support on the right side of it for? It is very simple, but also adheres to the small footprint and height restrictions that would most likely be imposed on any new design. I think, as unfortunate as it is, the Zipper as a stationary park ride would be a bit of a maintenance headache most park operators would rather do without. (many moving parts which would require it to be brought to ground level in regular intervals for routine maintenance) I think the Zipper will always be a king of the travelling world, but not parks.

Yeah I think that's a good idea pazzap. I have heard quite a few people who have visited both Luna Parks suggest a water ride as a needed attraction. You could once again link it back to the history of the parks... LPM had a large water chute/flume ride way back in the early days and I think LPS had something similar. It would basically just take you straight up and then drop you down the massive chute in a boat. I think a modern take on this would be a Perilous Plunge style of ride. These type of rides tend to have a fairly small footprint (well, relatively small) so it would fit inside LPM nicely. Especially if you were creative with the supports and allowed other rides to be build under it

What about a drop in the river caves? That was one thing i was thinking of. Notice how zig zag only occupies one end of the river caves roof. The other end could have a higher roof to accomadate a drop inside. There would be a vertical lift to save space and a u turn and a drop would follow. BTW, the seperate support structure at the right was meant to be a huss shot n drop, which would occupy that space. And Huss, why dont you try doing a design of your own, with the ride choices you want?

• 2 years later...

Did you ever submit this plan to LPM Gazza? Just been reading through it and it sounds great!! (even though there is no link anywhere to your plan!?) I think you should have a Space Roller in there somewhere, its a fantastic thrill ride and would look really good at Luna Park. Anyone know if Linsday Fox has any plans to redevelope the place anytime soon?

I dont know what happened to that plan, it was on the other computer which is dead now. Basically the accelerator was wedged in down the side of the park opposite the big dipper station, and flat rides were just crammed in, looking back it was probably a bit unrealistic from memory. I think now though I would have a Eurofighter in the park instead of an Accelerator. From what I have heard, the redevelopment is going ahead, but it is a long process. The place was only $10mil, a steal IMO, one of the other park operators here should have gone for it IMO.

Edited by Gazza

Actually, the Zipper was at Luna Park pre Ghost Train fire. It was located on the right just after the enterance to the park where the old Tumble Bug ride was once situated. It's a wonderful classic thrill ride that's been around for years & should be ther IMHOActually, the Zipper was at Luna Park pre Ghost Train fire. It was located on the right just after the enterance to the park where the old Tumble Bug ride was once situated. It's a wonderful classic thrill ride that's been around for years & should be ther IMHO

Edited by Diannasaurus

• 1 month later...

Mostly good ideas except that terrible Chance inverter, horrible ride. A Huss floorless top spin instead would rock. Also, I am one of the few that wishes there was a legal way to demolish the scenic railway and build a new coaster with the same name that circled the park or even just make the existing one thrilling with steep drops etc. It's closed at present they are doing some sort of construction/repair on it... also the maurer shone zig zag could be replaced with their newer spinning coasters which are great. Could still be put on top of a building.

I hope Scenic Railway never goes, Its the oldest continually operating coaster in the world, and it would be hard to make up for the loss of it. I think just a bit of re-tracking would be the way to go. There is space for if they want to build another more thrilling coaster, why not have another coaster doing a couple of laps around the park beside the scenic railway? I think apart from the carousel and the ghost train you can just gut the rest (is that dodgems building protected? I hope not)

Edited by Gazza

• 2 weeks later...
I hope Scenic Railway never goes, Its the oldest continually operating coaster in the world, and it would be hard to make up for the loss of it. I think just a bit of re-tracking would be the way to go. There is space for if they want to build another more thrilling coaster, why not have another coaster doing a couple of laps around the park beside the scenic railway? I think apart from the carousel and the ghost train you can just gut the rest (is that dodgems building protected? I hope not)
I thought it WAS the oldest but then Leap the Dips took over??? and now SR is 2nd? I could be wrong.
About ten years ago there was a plan to put in a new coaster ( quite large that went over the road into the foreshore park )
It was just a pinfari zyklon loop i can't remember why the plans fell apart but i did have a good talk to the manager at the time... however a zyklon loop is still better than a galaxi. DAMN I HATE THOSE THINGS LOL!