My LPM Idea

Gazza

Here is my Idea for an improved version of LPM. I retained all the heratiage listed rides. I used a park plan to get the exact locations of things, right down to the toilets located under the Scenic Railway. The whole park would be facelifted to get rid of the tacky look it has now and many rides would be replaced. The rides that would be removed include Oddesy AX1, G force, Pharos Curse, Metropolis, Shock Drop, Twin Dragon, Spider, Arabian Merry and the Enteprise. The new improved attraction lineup would be: 1) The Zig Zag, A maurer sohne compact spinning coaster http://www.rcdb.com/ig1551.htm?picture=9 this would be built on top of: 2) The New River caves, an indoor boat ride built just like the old one. 3)The Carousel, a classic. 4)The Ghost Train, also a classic with some refurbishment, eg painting. 5)The Twirler, A Zamperla disk'o', a good family ride, it would be red and white in colour 6)The Red Baron, relocated from across the park 7)High Flyer, a zamperla Samba Tower, a lookout point for the rest of the park. 8)Magic Dragon, the silly serpent left in its existing location, with new gardens and hedges planted around it. 9)Inverter, a chance inverter. This would be a good thrill ride 10)Scenic Railway, left just the way it is. 11)Rotor, built in the dodgems building would be the revival of an old classic. However, the ride equipment would be new. 12)Dodgems, in the present location 13)Sky Rocket, a huss Shot'n'Drop. A small footprint ride that would offer good veiws of port phillip and the rest of the park it would be surrounded by the top hat of: 14) Big Dipper, A compact intamin Accelerator built where Metropolis is, as well as along the eastern side of the park behind the dodgems building. The ride would lauch out of the station behind the dodgems building toward the beach, before entering an inside top hat. After the top hat would be an Imellmann. This would lead into an airtime hill, a vertical loop and and overbanked turn into the brakes. The park would be no more cramped than it is now, and any empty spaces in the park would become "green wedges" to give the park a bit of relaxing plant life. I already have some ideas for an improved version which I will work on during the holidays. I will try to do it in full colour and with some shuffling around of the rides (after I designed it, i thought of other arrangments that would have used the space better. Here is the file, my apoligies for the image quality. Comments??

Hmm, there must be a way to ditch the scenic railway and get away with it. loophole, please!.. and build a classic woodie around there like the original big dipper. Could do say 3 laps, lots of drops and airtime. They originally squeezed both the scenic and big in there so think about just the one! It would be soooooo good:) That zigzag coaster looks a little lame, but a spinning mouse perched up high is a good idea, just something a little better. The rest of the ideas are decent...I'd definitely want to add some extra themeing to the ghost train though. Also, there needs to be another more thrilling flat ride in there somewhere...INSTEAD of that horrible inverter - ouch! I would vote for a huss top spin over an inverter ANY day! In addition, it would be nice to squeeze in another thrilling flat - what specifically I'm undecided on at this point. But a top spin definitely. They rock!

Ok, good feedback guys. I might replace the inverter with just a single sided ranger type ride (Eg Zamperla Hawk). Another possibility is a Technical Park Street fighter park model. Technical park actually make 24 seat version with outward facing seats, and from memory it was about 20x15m so it is pretty space efficient. As for the Zig Zag Coaster, well, space is limited and I wanted a family sort of coaster in there, and that seemed like a good choice because of its small footprint. It is actually fairly similar in size to the mad mouse at Rye/LPS/Aussie World and that ride seems popular enough, coupled with the spinning motion and the high up perch, it could be fun. Or prehaps Maurer sohne could custom make a ride of the same footprint, but with a steeper lift so the ride has steeper gradients throughout the layout and higher speed. It would be cool to have a triple lap coaster, but the ride is heratiage listed so demolition is out of the question. And anyway, the ride is fun, even if its rough. I might somehow put foward my plan if the park is sold and they plan to redevelop. I want some real constructive criticism on this so I can make a better v2.0 Also, here is an attachment for the track layout of the big dipper (NoLimits).

The Scenic Railway MUST stay. It is such an important and significant part of Luna Park's history and one of the few remaining original attractions. To remove it now would just be wrong. It also frames the park very nicely. I do think part of your plan however Gazza should include a full track and carriage refurbishment of the Scenic Railway to bring some smoothness and rideability back to the roller coaster. I think it's important to steer as far away from the current portable carnival ride setup of Luna Park as possible. Therefore, rides like the Ranger and Street Fighter (Technical Park) might be a step in the wrong direction. I really like the fact that in your proposal you have restored the River Caves. I think that is vital. I would like to see the River Caves facade restored almost exactly as it was but perhaps add some more thrilling changes to the ride on the inside. I also think you should try and place them in their exact original location, if you haven't done that already. I'm not sure about the idea of placing a coaster on top of the River Caves as this might change the historic facade. If you can do it cleverly it might be alright. Also, I'm not sure about the idea of putting the Rotor in the Dodgems building as this is also a 'historic' ride (even though it would be a remake) and should be placed where it was originally as a freestanding attraction. I think it is important to remember that what made Luna Park special in the old days was its atmosphere and the fact that it was totally unique. So if you can add plenty of theming and artwork to your proposal to create the feeling of another world I think that'd be great. Also, unique rides would probably be one of the keys to success

Yeah, I was thinking a new train with suspension could be good, but i was unsure if it would be allowed, but yes, keep the scenic railway. I was actually unsure of the location of the rotor and the river caves, so I put them where they fitted best. BTW, with the streetfighter, the park model is actually called "the typhoon" and it actualy looks really good, here is a pic, it does not at all look tacky: http://www.technicalpark.com/Major/Typhoon.htm

The River Caves were down the beach end of the park next to the Scenic Railway Station. The Rotor was next to the Carousel, the Spider replaced it for many years, though I think the area has table and chairs located there now. A resurrection of the River Caves, The Giggle Palace and a refurbishment of the Ghost Train would make ideal additions.

I have had a good look through my Luna Park 'Just for Fun' history book and have found the original locations for the River Caves and the Giggle Palace. I have marked the locations in red over the top of Gazza's drawing. The Big Dipper was actually located almost exactly where it is in your plan Gazza. The main large crest and turnback (or whatever you call those sections) of the coaster was at the beach end of the park with the track running over the top of the River Caves show building to save space. This technique was used at both LPM and LPS and it's a good way to cover up this part of the building as most back of house show buildings are not particularly attractive. The River Caves facade was a large themed mountain with a mill underneath it. It faced out to the park, next to the Dodgem Building. I'm not sure exactly how large the River Caves show building was or what shape it was so I have just marked out the approximate area. Apparantley in the old days the River Caves used to have a tea room built above it with the capacity for 2000 people and views of the park to one side and the beach to the other side. This could possibly be reinstated for corporate functions and events as an additional revenue raiser. I believe the Dodgem Building currently at Luna Park is the original so that location is obviously the same. There is definitely potential to add more to this building than just Dodgems as it is quite large. I don't think the Rotor should be placed inside this building though. It used to be housed in its own freestanding round/hexagonal 3 storey structure

Apparantley in the old days the River Caves used to have a tea room built above it with the capacity for 2000 people
Yes I read this too, but I think this was most likely the top section of the 'castle' (which remains there now as a function room) During the 1970's-1980's this was a huge Dodgem floor, in fact the metal floor still remains. I have seen old photo's of it being used as a 'Tea House' with open windows, I think it was called 'Folley Tea House' or something. Good edited map.

on my design I dont really want to shift the rides from where they are since Luna park is very limited in space, so it needs to be used in the most effective way. Lindsay has even commented on that in the paper and wants to see if any surrounding land can be gotten hold of. The buildings for the resurrected rides are roughly the same size as the old ones (in fact the river caves is bigger). IMO its not the loaction that matters, its whats inside that counts. EDIT Ok, here is my updated version. Changes in reference to my previous version include: -Giggle Palace instead of magic dragon and the inveter. -Slight modification to the new big dipper. New area called Luna Lane a sort of kids area. The rides are Luna Flyers (airplane ride), Luna Bouncer (mini drop ride) and Luna Twirler (Mini Teacups). On the map it is the area that is chequered. -Tornado, Technical Park Typhoon. Any Questions just ask.

OK, I have done my final final version. The rides are: 1) Ghost Train 2) Zig Zag - Spinning Coaster 3) River caves (Below Zig Zag) 4)Carousel 5)Giggle Palace 6)Scenic Railway 7)Rotor (inside) 8)Dodgems (inside) 9)Tornado (Typhoon) 10) Luna Twirler (Zamperla Mini Teacup) 11) Luna Jumper (Zamperla Mini Bounce) 12) Luna Flyer (Zamperla Crop Duster) 13) Bay Balloons 14)Skyrocket 15) The new big dipper.

The problem is the lack of space, I could have put 5 or so more flat rides in, but that would have been at the expense of returning the classics like the river caves and the giggle palace. Still having 3 thrill rides is fine (Big Dipper, Skyrocket, Tornado) because it was originally more family oriented in the first place. And anyway, the Skyrocket would be a huss ride.

Very nice Gazza! Your drawings are getting really good... that latest one looks extremely professional - could almost be used as a real blueprint. I really like the way you've fitted the new Big Dipper in as it's very space efficient. I'm still sad though that you didn't attempt to place some of the old attractions (River Caves, Giggle Palace etc.) in their original locations. However I am just a bit of a heritage nut when it comes to these parks. Great job overall

Id love to see Lyndsey Fox put in a Zipper! that would be an ultimate success at the park! and it would sure make me and friends happy!
That sure is a strange idea, but yes, it would be pretty funny seeing the guy on the ride spinning around. But im unsure wether he would ride on it in the first place.