DisneyLand Possible SE QLD??!!

ozdude83

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i totally agree with u i live in the gold coast and work at white water world there is already enough competition up here with theme parks and luna park down in sydney is not much of a theme park and if disney build at the gold coast all the other theme parks will lose thier buisness well not lose it but will be down on numbers for a while
Not at all. When I went to WDW Orlando, I also went to Universal/IOA/SeaWorld. If people come here for Disney, they will go to other theme parks to.

Statistically you'll find that the majority of visitors to Orlando don't visit the other theme parks. Total attendance for all the Walt Disney World parks in 2006 was 45 million. Universal Studios / Islands of Adventure were 11.3 million. Busch Gardens and SeaWorld were just over 10 million. As has been said many times already in this topic, Disney don't compete, they build a superior product and reap the rewards. They use a pricing strategy that rewards longer stays and provide an all-inclusive product that satisfies every one of the customer's wants and needs.

Statistically you'll find that the majority of visitors to Orlando don't visit the other theme parks. Total attendance for all the Walt Disney World parks in 2006 was 45 million. Universal Studios / Islands of Adventure were 11.3 million. Busch Gardens and SeaWorld were just over 10 million.
So the Disney water parks get over 1 mil per year, so for Disney dry parks that's about 43 million. Given there are 4 of them it averages to about 10.75 million per park . To me, on a per park basis Disney is on par with the other Orlando parks...seems to me the other parks are well in the game, Disney is bigger, so of course they are going to pull more visitors just because they have twice the number of parks as the next competitor. If Universal had another 2 gates then I think both Disney and Universal would have similar attendance. Edited by Gazza

Nah, that didn't include the water parks and the figures are for each company's combined total, so each of the non-Disney parks are averaging around the 5 million mark (4.3 - 6 million) while, the Disney parks average around 11 million each (8.9 - 16.6 million). Amusement Business release these figures annually so if anyone's interested you should be able to track more down with a few Google searches.

Oh whoops, didn't notice Busch Gardens in there...I thought 10 mil was for SW alone. Still, even if Disney were to open here, I cant imagine the other parks losing the customer base they have built up over the past 20 years, I mean just look at WnW and its attendance when WWW opened...there was no effect. Actually, I belive a Disney park here would cause a sort of Critical mass, there aren't many other places in the word with the number of parks we have all together in the one place, Disney would be the sort of anchor you would need to give the GC the reputation for being an "Orlando downunder" I personally would only expect a Disney park here to do 3 mil per year, for that it would basically be half the size of DCA...I could deal with that :) , even if all the $100million E tickets weren't there, the other aspects of the Disney magic would make up for it. Just clone everything, and work with cut capacity versions (Eg A Tower of Terror with only 1 drop shaft rather than the dual set up MGM has)

• 6 months later...

I didn't think I should start up a new thread for this as there are so many already regarding Disney and Australia. Anyway, I found this article on the attractions.co.uk website, which has only been put up there 2 days ago.

20 May 2008 Disney attraction for Sydney The New South Wales Government (NSW) has held meetings with the Walt Disney Company about the possible creation of an attraction as part of the redevelopment of White Bay, according to ABC News. The site, near the Anzac bridge, on Sydney Harbour’s foreshore, is currently used by car-carrying ships to unload. It will become vacant as the ships move to a new facility at Port Kembla in the south of Sydney later this year. NSW minister Ian Macdonald has confirmed that he spoke with representatives from Walt Disney, and that they had a “broad range of ideas” for the site, including concepts for both tourism and entertainment facilities – though nothing was finalised John Nicoletti, a spokesperson for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, would not confirm whether the company would be developing a new attraction in Sydney. He told ABC: “We’re constantly exploring opportunities to grow our business and part of that process is having conversations with lots of entities. At this time we really have no plans for the region.” Patricia Forsythe, executive director of the Sydney Chamber of Commerce – a business chamber of the New South Wales Government, told Attractions Management : “Any proposal from Disneyland should be viewed seriously because it would be a major generator of tourism. “The government has a committee looking at future uses for the site, but at this time no announcement of any sort has been made.” The State Government has established The Bays Precinct Taskforce to formulate a Strategic Masterplan and to consider regeneration proposals for White Bay, Glebe Island, Blackwattle Bay and Rozzelle Bay. The masterplan is due to be revealed later this year. If a development goes ahead, it will add to Disney’s portfolio of 11 theme parks, eight resorts and a cruise line.
Edited by T-bone

Statistically you'll find that the majority of visitors to Orlando don't visit the other theme parks
Same is true in Disneyland, people get off the highway with the Disneyland exit, pull into the hotel, spend days at Disneyland, eat + shop in downtown Disney, Check out of the hotel and get back on the highway... Most interstate tourists don't go to Knotts or Universal

• 4 months later...

I agree with the OP here. The NSW Government should really get something moving in regards to entertainment facilities in New South Wales. It's ridiculous - seriously - the amount of park closures in NSW - we had Wonderland, now gone, sega world - now gone, Old Sydney Town - now gone. And the list goes on. And whats worse is that the government here in NSW does not fight for more entertainment venues. Granted, we have Jamberoo Action Park (which is fantastic by the way) - but for Sydneysiders Luna Park is a joke. It's ok, but incredibly expensive for the rides it offers and does not really constitute as a theme park. Lets hope that a theme park closer to home - either here in NSW or Victoria will be announced soon :) Just my 2 cents.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Gold Coast..... "Nominated by Walt Disney Attractions, we were appointed by the Star Land Company, the Australian Government JV company, as the masterplanners and concept design architects for the proposed Disneyland Australia set within the $2.7 billion Star Land Project located on the Gold Coast Highway and rail-link between Brisbane and the Gold Coast in South-East Queensland" http://www.jpi-global.com/design_information.html#disney

So did they say that it is going to be on the Gold Coast? I didn't quite understand
Edited by stellaclose

As awesome as this would be (and this would be awesome, if love to see WDI over in Australia) don't get your hopes up. All I see is some website claiming to be working on Disneyland Australia, with nothing more than 2 very undescriptive pieces of artwork (which could of easily come from anywhere). I'll be certainly crossing my fingers (I'll be there opening day no matter what) but don't get too let down when nothing happens.

Nominated by Walt Disney Attractions, we were appointed by the Star Land Company, the Australian Government JV company, as the masterplanners and concept design architects for the proposed Disneyland Australia set within the $2.7 billion Star Land Project
This to me looks like nothing more than a feasibility study. Having said that, it's still exciting to see them seriously looking at Australia as a location for a Disney park (if the JPI website is correct). I wouldn't start getting exciting about this until Disney mention something officially. None of the other projects on that page seem to exist. 'Planet Sony' seems like a VERY early concept design of a Sony-based theme park. I doubt we'll see anything become of this news.